Reply Feedback Forum
[A] More Culturally Conscious Events! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

HBSW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:41 pm
Hello, I'm sorry I'm on a mule but I really don't want people going after me on my main account. No offense but you never know with such a big shop!

I've had a few people point this out to me, and I've noticed it myself. A lot of the events here are very... American oriented. Now I don't have a problem with this, but a lot of the games and contests here you run are incredibly hard for some of us foreigners to participate in. sad

Though time zone differences are an issue (and such things can't really be helped since the staff is mostly american) but there is an issue with lack of availability and knowledge. There are some events where knowledges of American culture is required and I feel that it gives many users an unfair edge over us foreigners. As well as certain contests where egg coloring for example is required. We don't paint eggs here, and you can't even buy paint for the eggs.

What I'm suggestion is that you could maybe try to cater towards foreigners? This is a big shop so there's bound to be at least a few of us!  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:15 pm
You know what, I'm Australian and I don't have any problem with any of the soq events. Yes, sometimes the times are way early for me, but I make the choice to stay up late so I can participiate. I was unable to participate in the pumpkin carving contest because I've never done it, but it didn't bother me because there was plenty of other events for me to participate in.

None of the events here have asked about American culture as far as I'm concerned. And it's not liek Halloween is some secret thing that only Americans know about.

tl;dr i'm a 'foreigner' and i don't have a problem with the events.  

LOLTERNATIVE

Super Trash

ATh e a r t
Crew

Romantic Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:42 pm
I'm pretty sure there are quite a few of these 'foreigner' and yes, it is said in previous events that it does suck for those people. That is why events run at different times each year. A lot of them run for 24 hours+. The CYOA are hard because the person that's running it has to be awake to proctor it.

As for things like the pumpkin carving, it was changed to -any- sort of carving, even on a turnip! (Which I'd love to see...)

But yes, Soquili staff is trying from what I see. It's not a perfect system because the colorists have their own time zones and stuff, but hey, they're trying!  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:23 pm
I can understand how timezones in different countries can be a pain in the butt and I do know that staff try to hold plenty of events that EVERYONE can join in on. While yes there are some that you really do just have to be around for, everyone is likely to miss something here and there.

As far as the pumpkin carving goes, it was changed so that everyone could participate. I'm sure that if someone had a valid reason to not be able to participate in the future, another adjustment would be made.

I'm not really sure what you mean about needing to have a knowledge of American culture. The only things I could think of would maybe be quizzes but then all you need to do is use google.

However, maybe in the future the staff could consider doing some non American based events? I know it'd be a lot more work for them and I could understand if they just don't have time, but doing a Chinese new year one might be fun, or instead of Halloween maybe day of the dead?

Basically you can never make EVERYONE happy but I'm sure if you have specific issues you could take it to the staff if need be.

-Also, don't forget these topics are supposed to have a poll <3  

CheshireKttty

Magical Cat

13,600 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Magical Girl 50

Sirenz

Blessed Kin

11,825 Points
  • Striking Knight 150
  • Dragon Uprising 75
  • Energy Harvester 150
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:53 pm
Hi! Yes the shop has mainly American holidays observed because there are mostly American staff here. We do have a Canadian and a Malaysian too. Nerpin, who is Canadian, had a Canada Day event this year. In the Halloween event there was a Day of the Day -themed pet, the sugar skull one, in the raffle. Also, bear in mind that this shop has a Native American concept. With all that, we will try to have more cultural events because learning about different people and ways is a fun thing.

As for the timezones, we have events with a 24 hour period to accommodate as many people as possible.

Do you have any ideas on how we can improve things?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:59 pm
I don't think there's any way to improve things, really. When you have a shop where most of the customers are from America, having - say - an Australian event would disadvantage A LOT of people.

Most of the events are soquili related anyway. The only thing that was really disadvantageous to people was the pumpkin thing. And a lot of American people were disadvantaged as well. The rules of the event were quickly changed so you could use a whole bunch of mediums to do your pumpkin.

An event based on different cultures, would be fun though. >w< Like pets based on China, Japan, Russia. So then people who are from certain places can try for events that would do good in, assuming to win a pet you had to be knowledgeable of the country of origin.

Like I said before, I'm from Australia, which is about as far from America as one can get (geographically wise) and I haven't had any problems with the event. I've never carved a pumpkin before so I didn't enter that contest, though I could have since pumpkins are sold here. But that didn't bother me because there were plenty of other events I was able to enter. :3  

LOLTERNATIVE

Super Trash

Sirenz

Blessed Kin

11,825 Points
  • Striking Knight 150
  • Dragon Uprising 75
  • Energy Harvester 150
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:03 pm
Heya! We are having a small Chinese New Year event next week because of you! Thanks for the feedback!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:07 pm
mrgreen blaugh 3nodding xd heart whee eek

sorry i felt so many things at once that i had to share them all!
OMG its the year of the dragon!
*freeze frame jump up*  

ProphetOfProfit

Profitable Prophet

Yumitoko II
Crew

Eloquent Genius

14,575 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:36 pm
Sirenz
Heya! We are having a small Chinese New Year event next week because of you! Thanks for the feedback!
YAAAAAAYYYY!!!! biggrin
Feedback = good. xP  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:29 am
Thats so exciting! I'm year of the snake, so this is going to be great!

If colorists are willing, maybe to create more opportunities, we can have different types of the year! Like, I know my aunt said something about last year was the year of the metal rabbit? And I had no idea there was any different type then just the animal. So maybe have the regular animal as a full size, then the different types as usdias =D? It would also give a chance to kick out some of those new usdia breeds<3.

Or make a plushie that everyone ccan have so they feel like they walked away with something =3. I really enjoyed that the Olympics event had a plushie<333.  

Jackariah Beckett

Fluffy Firestarter

14,975 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

ProphetOfProfit

Profitable Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:14 am
ladyfirefox89
Thats so exciting! I'm year of the snake, so this is going to be great!

If colorists are willing, maybe to create more opportunities, we can have different types of the year! Like, I know my aunt said something about last year was the year of the metal rabbit? And I had no idea there was any different type then just the animal. So maybe have the regular animal as a full size, then the different types as usdias =D? It would also give a chance to kick out some of those new usdia breeds<3.

Or make a plushie that everyone ccan have so they feel like they walked away with something =3. I really enjoyed that the Olympics event had a plushie<333.

im year of the snake too
*high five for being awesome*  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:39 am
-high fives- Heck yeah for the awesome people! Hello opponent twisted  

Jackariah Beckett

Fluffy Firestarter

14,975 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

LydaLynn

LydaLynn

Nebula Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:06 am
Awesome! I am a dragon - so I'm so stalking the event. Thank you for having it!!!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:41 am
Ooooh Chinese new year event *will have to look out for that*

I'm a Roooster! well if you want to be picky a yin metal rooster....

*stalks*  

Faid Shadowlight

Versatile Phantom

15,800 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Vanquished Angel 50
Feedback Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash