Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
How do i tell my parents?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

iiilullaby-katie

Invisible Elocutionist

14,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bidding War 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:30 pm
i'm a bisexual 15 year old female with homophobic parents.im currenty single but there is this girl i like quite abit and she likes me too, but she wont date me unless my parents know because she doesnt want to hide our relationship from anyone. help?
how did you tell your parents?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:30 pm
Hmmm, toughie. Well, I'd just say that you'd really like to start going out with her, and that you will tell your parents, but when you are ready. If she doesn't want to hide anything, I assume she has already told her parents herself. Ask her how she came out, and if she's a loving enough girlfriend she should tell you, because that's what people who love each other do for one another---give each other advice. Get her to support you in your journey of coming out.
Coming out as a teenager still living with your parents is tough. I have a friend who told her parents she was dating a female last February, and they intially didn't take it very well. But after she told them they tried not to bring it up for a while, which is kind of good, when you look at it this way: they were still treating her as a human. Anyway, I'm a bisexual teenager too, but I don't have any intentions really to come out to my parents until I've graduated... I might tell a few friends a bit earlier though. Anyway, hope I helped!  

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100

sandrock_buck

Versatile Raider

6,200 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:01 pm
I agree with Katie on this one, if you are going to come out to your parents, you need to be prepared for both the worst and the best response from them. On the better end, they only give you mild trouble about it. On the worse end, the hound you about it. They could, depending on their reasoning for being homophobic, start listing off either religious or social reasons that being Bi is wrong to them. If you are truly sound in your belief in your sexuality, this will only be annoying at most, but if you have doubts about your sexuality (I'm not saying you do, but you should always check yourself before you wreck yourself), then this battle will be a lot harder to win and you might want to simply wait awhile until you are sure of yourself. I've been in both situations (For different reasons), but since I was resolute in both situations, I handled it with ease and I'm no longer pestered by the people who disagreed with me. So if you do really want to date this girl, then you should make sure you're ready to come out. My only advice on your strategy would be that you need to sit down with them and talk it over like adults, don't yell, don't get overly emotional, simply speak calmly and act mature, this will show that you are strong in your belief in yourself and make it harder for them to argue with you about it.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:05 pm
Jonstalker62
I agree with Katie on this one, if you are going to come out to your parents, you need to be prepared for both the worst and the best response from them. On the better end, they only give you mild trouble about it. On the worse end, the hound you about it. They could, depending on their reasoning for being homophobic, start listing off either religious or social reasons that being Bi is wrong to them. If you are truly sound in your belief in your sexuality, this will only be annoying at most, but if you have doubts about your sexuality (I'm not saying you do, but you should always check yourself before you wreck yourself), then this battle will be a lot harder to win and you might want to simply wait awhile until you are sure of yourself. I've been in both situations (For different reasons), but since I was resolute in both situations, I handled it with ease and I'm no longer pestered by the people who disagreed with me. So if you do really want to date this girl, then you should make sure you're ready to come out. My only advice on your strategy would be that you need to sit down with them and talk it over like adults, don't yell, don't get overly emotional, simply speak calmly and act mature, this will show that you are strong in your belief in yourself and make it harder for them to argue with you about it.

Great advice, and not trying to be rude or anything, but who is Katie?  

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:06 pm
Sunshine Peach-Heart
Jonstalker62

Great advice, and not trying to be rude or anything, but who is Katie?

Never mind; just checked her username.
*facepalm*  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:20 pm
thanks too both you, both great, but i think im going to wait a while to tell my parents and hope my friend understands, because as it stands at the moment, my parents would most likely kick me out of the house if they knew.  

iiilullaby-katie

Invisible Elocutionist

14,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bidding War 100
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items