Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
I *want* this frog! ;___; Anyone have frogs?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:10 pm
I was cleaning out the reptile cages last Thursday, and this frog was just so... chill. I had to stop for a moment because it didn't want to let go of my hand, it just wanted to hang out with me. And I wanted to hang out with him. lol He's a blue dumpy tree frog, and just a little ittybitty baby right now! He's, at most, an inch long. And if I get him, he could live until my future children are almost adults. That is really cool!

Buuuuut... My boyfriend said he would be mad if I brought home another animal. lol He says enough is enough, and he can tell that I'm at my limit for responsibilities I can handle. I am not inclined to disagree with him on this. Sometimes it's frustrating to come home and have to do what I just did all day at work, instead of relaxing and preparing for the next day. Just today, I was thinking about how nice it would be to have a vacation from my responsibilities at home. PLUS, where would I even put an appropriately-sized tank? I barely have room for the rat cage.

Still... He's such an awesome little dude. ;___; AND I'VE ALREADY PLANNED WHAT HIS TANK WOULD LOOK LIKE. It would have a really cool water fall (with MIST coming out of it-- would that be possible??), a ton of vine decorations (possibly even live plants), and this big tree hide we use at work that has moss in it, and looks really cool. It would be jungle-like and generally extremely awesome. It would have ferns and all that good stuff. And I could get a sound generator thingy to play sounds of the jungle, SO I COULD SIT THERE AND STARE AT MY FROG AND WE COULD HANG OUT AND PRETEND WE LIVE IN A JUNGLE.

But I think I'm going to have to wait until I am no longer committed to my current commitments. By that, I mean I'll hold off until my rats and fish have lived out their lives, and see if I want to venture into frog territory. So sad, but what's the rush? If I'm really committed to the idea, I'll still want it three years from now.

So-- do any of you guys have frogs? I want to see your tanks! And I want to know (from actual owners) what it's like having and caring for one. In fact, I'm interested in most reptiles in general-- I find all setups REALLY cool and love looking at (and envying) people's tanks.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:36 pm
I don't have frogs, wish I had tho.  

pompoennetje

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:03 pm
I like frogs and toads a lot. I have had many kinds, but right now I have an American Green Tree Frog (Hyla cinerea) and a Pacman Frog (PROBABLY Ceratophrys ornata but could be one of the other species of Pacmans. That's just my best guess by looking at her).

Frogs are not a super interactive pet. Most don't want to be held or played with. But they are just so dang cute. And making their environments is SO fun!

My green (currently just one, Mab, since Oberon died, but I plan to buy another soon) is in a little naturalistic. I glued in a mushroom shelf, drilled in a hole so a fountain runs out of it, etc. But I have totally seen those ones that do fog too.

When I get my new camera cord I will add a pic of the tank.

On the other hand, Ms., the Pacman, has a rather sparse set up because they are SO prone to eat things they should not. So her substrate is damp paper towel. She has a very shallow water dish and a large fake plant to brighten things up. She also has aquarium paper behind it, as does Mab.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:53 pm
Kipluck
I like frogs and toads a lot. I have had many kinds, but right now I have an American Green Tree Frog (Hyla cinerea) and a Pacman Frog (PROBABLY Ceratophrys ornata but could be one of the other species of Pacmans. That's just my best guess by looking at her).

Frogs are not a super interactive pet. Most don't want to be held or played with. But they are just so dang cute. And making their environments is SO fun!

My green (currently just one, Mab, since Oberon died, but I plan to buy another soon) is in a little naturalistic. I glued in a mushroom shelf, drilled in a hole so a fountain runs out of it, etc. But I have totally seen those ones that do fog too.

On the other hand, Ms., the Pacman, has a rather sparse set up because they are SO prone to eat things they should not. So her substrate is damp paper towel. She has a very shallow water dish and a large fake plant to brighten things up. She also has aquarium paper behind it, as does Mab.

I've been told that pacman frogs are prone to biting, so I'm kind of leery of those. xd I don't mind a low-interactive pet, though I will have to consider that if I get a frog instead of more rats. Then again, this is all hypothetical; I could be in a place in my life where handling a small animal cage, a fish tank, cats, and a terrarium is no problem.

It does seem very fun! surprised I'm very seriously considering setting one up, just to have it around. Maybe it'll just be a bunch of plants, but with other things in there too to make it look like a jungle. If I can't have the animal, I can at least have something VERY cool to look at!

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Charivari

Liberal Dabbler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:34 pm
I have a White's Dumpy Tree Frog (he is not, however, white XD he's green and can change his color to brown) and I like having him around! We got him from someone who didn't know how to care for him right, and he is blind in one eye because of that sad

The pros? My frog does like to be held, you just have to wash your hands before and mist him abit. His aquarium is pretty fun to rearrange every once and a while, usally when I clean it. They are just fun to show off!

But... the cons: They eat! They eat alot and they bite your fingers. If they do bite you, it doesnt hurt at all, but it is startling! You can only have one per cage because they will eat eachother o.0

And the way you design your aquarium can harm or help your froggy. The aquarium we got him in had plastic grass and a branch, we actually thought he was going to die, but we fixed him up ^^ At one point we had a waterfall (see here) and he snuck back in that little hole and was stuck behind the filter!

I really do like him, but they have special needs (like all pets) and if you have any questions, I've had my froggy for 4 years ^^  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:46 pm
Celestial Fireflies
Kipluck

I've been told that pacman frogs are prone to biting, so I'm kind of leery of those. xd I don't mind a low-interactive pet, though I will have to consider that if I get a frog instead of more rats. Then again, this is all hypothetical; I could be in a place in my life where handling a small animal cage, a fish tank, cats, and a terrarium is no problem.

It does seem very fun! surprised I'm very seriously considering setting one up, just to have it around. Maybe it'll just be a bunch of plants, but with other things in there too to make it look like a jungle. If I can't have the animal, I can at least have something VERY cool to look at!
Pacmans are very aggressive. Right now Ms is a baby so they are pretty harmless nips, but when she grows up I am going to have to always make sure to pick her up from the back so that she doesn't confuse my fingers for food. Since full-grown Pacman Frogs can take out rats she could seriously damage a hand! They are not a cuddly frog. Just so dang beautiful.

But they are not the frog I would recommend to most people... I think green tree frogs or dumpys ooh or GREY tree frogs (I love those, but they are really one of my favorite frogs, just hard to find around here) are friendlier and funner to plan cages for.  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Krissim Klaw
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:14 pm
I lust from a distance over red eye tree frogs. One day I keep telling myself. Truth is though if I want to go with a less interactive pet I will probably end up with a tarantula

I'm such a hands on girl though. I really feel the need to be able to interact with my babies so sometimes it seems if it is better for me and the critters in question to avoid a purchase. Frogs tend to be very sensitive skin wise to handling. You have to be very careful about any chemicals on your skin.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:37 am
i used to have some fire belly toads which are really a frog species. they were so much fun to watch and my biggest male would just sit at the edge of his tank for hours and watch me or watch the tv. plus they were always trying to mate with each other and were always making noises and doing something silly

im thinking of getting some more one day or maybe getting a pacman. i need an anphib in my house  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

imderanged

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:51 am
IXdominikaXI
I have a White's Dumpy Tree Frog (he is not, however, white XD he's green and can change his color to brown) and I like having him around! We got him from someone who didn't know how to care for him right, and he is blind in one eye because of that sad

The pros? My frog does like to be held, you just have to wash your hands before and mist him abit. His aquarium is pretty fun to rearrange every once and a while, usally when I clean it. They are just fun to show off!

But... the cons: They eat! They eat alot and they bite your fingers. If they do bite you, it doesnt hurt at all, but it is startling! You can only have one per cage because they will eat eachother o.0

And the way you design your aquarium can harm or help your froggy. The aquarium we got him in had plastic grass and a branch, we actually thought he was going to die, but we fixed him up ^^ At one point we had a waterfall (see here) and he snuck back in that little hole and was stuck behind the filter!

I really do like him, but they have special needs (like all pets) and if you have any questions, I've had my froggy for 4 years ^^

I have White's tree frogs too, and I keep 2 in a 29 gallon together. I would not house some of the more aggressive frogs, such as Pacmans or Pixies together, but in my own experience and from what I've read online in frog forums and whatnot, White's are safe to keep together as long as they are the SAME SIZE.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:11 am
These are my White's (dumpy) tree frogs.
User Image

Here's the blue phase after I'd had him for a while & fattened him up a bit smile
User Image

This is their tank. I took the moss out because they were eating it.
User Image

They both have their own personalities. "Blue" is always sitting on his dish or a branch and watches everyone. "Greenie" only comes out at night, and stays under the water dish most of the day. I don't know if it's just individual differences, or if it's because Blue's male (he loves to sing) and Greenie's a female, or POSSIBLY Greenie was wild caught (I don't know if she was or not)

I don't find them hard to care for at all. They are a lot hardier than a lot of the other tree frog species, and much less aggressive than some of the other popular pet frogs such as my Pixie. I recommend them as a first frog for anyone.  

imderanged

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:17 pm
I am down one frog. My adorable new baby, Ms. died while I was in the Hospital. I was only gone a day and a half. When I left, her water dish was full and her paper towel floor was moist. I came home and the dish, floor, and dead baby frog were dry as a bone. crying I cried for a few hours, but honestly, I just feel too crappy to mourn properly. I am sick. Possibly seriously so, I am due back into the hospital for a day and night or so on Thursday to find out more. And my animals are suffering for it too. I've got my family pretty well trained on how to take care of everybody in my absence, but somehow Ms. got missed or something... maybe she was just too fragile, being so tiny.

I will probably get another Pacman, but not a baby. Too risky. And not right now. cry

Krissim Klaw
I lust from a distance over red eye tree frogs. One day I keep telling myself. Truth is though if I want to go with a less interactive pet I will probably end up with a tarantula

I'm such a hands on girl though. I really feel the need to be able to interact with my babies so sometimes it seems if it is better for me and the critters in question to avoid a purchase. Frogs tend to be very sensitive skin wise to handling. You have to be very careful about any chemicals on your skin.
I know. I would love red eyes too. And they are not as fragile as I used to think. But not for me at present. But boy are they cute!

But being hands on is so hard. I have to play with everything. I hold my mantis, Johnny Cash. I have to remind myself not to hold the frogs too much.

Shanna66
i used to have some fire belly toads which are really a frog species. they were so much fun to watch and my biggest male would just sit at the edge of his tank for hours and watch me or watch the tv. plus they were always trying to mate with each other and were always making noises and doing something silly

im thinking of getting some more one day or maybe getting a pacman. i need an anphib in my house
I never realized they were frogs! I guess that makes sense, they are pretty aquatic.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:09 pm
Oh Kipluck! I am sorry. crying I know how it feels to have to have to leave the babies home when you are in the hospital! Please don't be too hard on yourself! And I hope you feel well soon. heart  

imderanged

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff