Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Your thoughts on this?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Silver Sage-General

8,225 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:34 pm
Brett Ratner  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:02 pm
I think equating being gay with something bad fuels unconscious associations in our culture- so I'm glad there was a consequence.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

She Promised You Cookies

Proxy Guildswoman

8,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:01 am
Oh, Jesus...

These are just words. I'm pretty sure there was no real offense in what he said. I just find it so funny that people are easily offended by words that weren't directed to anyone anywhere, and it was just said because of a hatred towards something else e.g, rehearsal.

Also people say "fags" everywhere all the time. You don't see GLAAD flock up to Mr. Robinson (who may or may not exist and may or not say 'f**' on occasion) and tell him to knock it off.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:20 am
I don't really have much of an opinion, just found it interesting. Though I do believe in slips of the tongue happening.  

Silver Sage-General

8,225 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200

Postpone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:08 am
I think it's clear he didn't mean it in an offensive way. Then again, it can easily come off that way, and it does perpetuate negative association with the word "f**".

Typical Gemini, I can't make up my mind.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:59 am
She Promised You Cookies

These are just words.

And ignoring the power of words in today's society is a foolish thing to do. Words can be powerful.

It is through words and discussion that some try to restrict rights for the LGBT community and also through words and discussion that others fight for those rights.

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

The-banned-Darksoul

Malevolent Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:55 am
I does seem he didnt mean it in a bigotory slur. but when you work with a camera everyday , you always have to be careful with what you say. In the jist. he Messed up. But he's redeeming himself by spreading awareness. he's cool in my book.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:44 am
I know he didn't mean it in an offensive way, but I'm glad the Academy stepped in and made an example out of him. I'm also glad that he's showing remorse.

Even though they are "just words" this will be a reminder to anyone in a public position that words can (and do) hurt.  

colon bracket

Eloquent Fatcat

7,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

She Promised You Cookies

Proxy Guildswoman

8,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:07 pm
Lady Kayura
She Promised You Cookies

These are just words.

And ignoring the power of words in today's society is a foolish thing to do. Words can be powerful.

It is through words and discussion that some try to restrict rights for the LGBT community and also through words and discussion that others fight for those rights.

Yes, words can be powerful if they are given power. Just saying a slur with a slip of the tongue isn't power. Getting up on the podium and saying words that you know are bad, you know hurt, and are saying them to offend who they want to offend is. For example: saying "oh, ********" does use a word that can hurt under the right circumstances. But in this case it's more or less a slip of the tongue or surprise. Saying something like "I ******** hate you" is different.

So in a way I do respect that words can have power. I just don't think people should be pestering others when they use a word that can be hurtful, but in the context, really isn't.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games