Submit

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:13 pm
Okay, so, perhaps maybe I'm a bit wrong, but I've always heard you shouldn't feed bearded dragons pinky mice. Some idiots on Youtube; yeah, youtube, not surprising, right?...Well, I'd recorded a video of a rat litter I had one year, squirming around in a little pile. Then I've got people saying that their bearded dragons would eat them. I don't really care that they say people would eat my rats; that's kind of where half the babies went, anyway, into a snake.

So, even if it's maybe okay to feed them pinky mice, which I don't think it is, pinky RATS seems like a BIG no-no.

Of course I've now got these 'animal experts' telling me I know nothing about reptiles rolleyes . That bearded dragons eat what they want in the wild.

That's such a stupid argument. I hear it way too much. 'Well what do you think they do in the wild?'
The thing is captive animals don't live like they do, in the wild. Food is more scarce; it's not just handed to them on a plate basically, like captive animals. Goddd.
anyone else get dumb asses like this lately?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:30 pm
My favorite is the losers with no life that go around on Craigslist and flag posts of good, honest people trying to find forever homes for their pets, or rescues. Its gotten to the point in my area where people put in their ad's "Go ahead, and flag me, I'll just keep posting, and keep my ad at the top of the list," or something like "I'm sorry you have no life, but I'd like to get my pet in to a good home," and some have even go as far to practically telling potential flaggers to "shove it," but in polite-ish terms rofl  

Akari_32

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:37 pm
Animals will eat all kinds of things they shouldn't in the wild. As their human caregivers we strive to protect and IMPROVE their lives.

Sugar gliders live 4-6 years in the wild, as many as 15 in captivity with correct care.

I have heard of people feeding beardies pinky mice. Personally, I plan to stick to greens, veggies, mealworms, crickets, and roaches for Stanley Yelnats. But a pinky RAT seems FAR too substantial for a Bearded Dragon to me. YouTube commentors are often the stupidest kind of idiots, though.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:00 am
i hate people like that. as kip said, animals eat alot of crap that they shouldnt in the wild, they cant afford to be picky or dont know that its not good for them. in the wild leos eat pinkies too but they arent good for them. and god forbid you get one of those calcisand obsessed people see your leo is on tile rolleyes

did you know im abusing ethen by making sure she doesnt get joint issues later in life? and not allowing her to eat sand to "help her digest her food?" not to mention she is going to get mbd because im not giving my nocturnal animal any uv lights for her to bask in. and the best part is, any day now she will get super stressed and stop eating because she is in a 40gal instead of a 10gal

i havent had to deal with this crap recently since ive been sticking on reptilerooms and the people there know they are talking about and its an older crowd so il much less liekly to hear the cockyness thats typical of people my age and younger  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:17 am
Shanna66
i hate people like that. as kip said, animals eat alot of crap that they shouldnt in the wild, they cant afford to be picky or dont know that its not good for them. in the wild leos eat pinkies too but they arent good for them. and god forbid you get one of those calcisand obsessed people see your leo is on tile rolleyes

did you know im abusing ethen by making sure she doesnt get joint issues later in life? and not allowing her to eat sand to "help her digest her food?" not to mention she is going to get mbd because im not giving my nocturnal animal any uv lights for her to bask in. and the best part is, any day now she will get super stressed and stop eating because she is in a 40gal instead of a 10gal

i havent had to deal with this crap recently since ive been sticking on reptilerooms and the people there know they are talking about and its an older crowd so il much less liekly to hear the cockyness thats typical of people my age and younger
UGH. The pet store I go to for supplies tries to talk me into calcisand for my leos ALL THE TIME. (They know me and know me what I have and I have told them NO, I keep them on Paper Towels, thank you very much!

I WISH I had the space to give Jack and Clem 40 gallons each! Pretty sure they would be a lot HAPPIER not stressed with that move. For now they are stuck in little 10 gallons. Someday (once I am in my own place) I am DEFINITLEY getting them a 20 (each... not together).  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:28 am
Kipluck
Shanna66

UGH. The pet store I go to for supplies tries to talk me into calcisand for my leos ALL THE TIME. (They know me and know me what I have and I have told them NO, I keep them on Paper Towels, thank you very much!

I WISH I had the space to give Jack and Clem 40 gallons each! Pretty sure they would be a lot HAPPIER not stressed with that move. For now they are stuck in little 10 gallons. Someday (once I am in my own place) I am DEFINITLEY getting them a 20 (each... not together).

a 10gal is alright for a single leo, the main reason i dotn recomend them is that there is hardly enough room for all the stuff leos need, plus a 20gal is the perfect size for any leo, i just like spoiling ethen otehrwise i would give her tank to the skinks. what gets me is that some people think that its fine to house more than one adult leo in a 10gal  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:28 pm
Shanna66
Kipluck
Shanna66

a 10gal is alright for a single leo, the main reason i dotn recomend them is that there is hardly enough room for all the stuff leos need, plus a 20gal is the perfect size for any leo, i just like spoiling ethen otehrwise i would give her tank to the skinks. what gets me is that some people think that its fine to house more than one adult leo in a 10gal
No, I totally agree. I mean, they've got their moist hide, their dry hide, their vitamin bowl, their water bowl, and a fake plant. I have it arranged so that it works, but bigger would be SO much better!  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:23 am
Kipluck
Shanna66
Kipluck
Shanna66

No, I totally agree. I mean, they've got their moist hide, their dry hide, their vitamin bowl, their water bowl, and a fake plant. I have it arranged so that it works, but bigger would be SO much better!

when i first got ethen i had her ina 10gal, i could hardly even fit her humid hide in there so when it was shedding time i would take out her warm hide and put her humid hide in. i got my dad to take me to petsmart a couple weeks later to buy all the stuff i would need for a 20gal and have that be my christmas present.

ive seen some people make amazing use out of a 10gal before and add shelves and things so it had twice as much floor space. i dont have the amazing decorating abilities to do that though lol  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Azusanga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:16 pm
Lol someone tried to correct me on guinea pigs. Apparently it's a wonder that they're not dead beause pigs don- ea- --ose kinds of --ings in --e wild. Sorry, Piper ran a ross --e keyboard so a few of --e le--ers aren'- working. SORRY YALL  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games