Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

tai-lerr--x

Dapper Fatcat

9,250 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:25 am
Stuck in the past; or one of the few with good values?

Some facts in case you dont know: They live almost seperately from the rest of the world in the 1600-1700 century. Thats right, horses, hard manual labor and field work. No technology. No partying. Men above women, women covered in clothing head to foot. They dont even have hot water sometimes. Theyre children are raised in this community with dolls that dont even have faces, and they are taught respect and responsibility and conservation. Once they come of age (I dont know the exact, late teens/early twenties?) they are allowed to experience the real world for a certain time period. Concerts, parties, bathing suits, ipads, for some its exciting and fantastic; they decide to stay, for some its appalling and insulting; they go back to their Amish communities. Those that leave are banned and cannot return or contact anyone within that community. They are deeply religious and conservative people who believe in good and the great powers of God.

Most of you will probably only know them because so many people laugh at them and tease them.

Anything you want to add/discuss?
Should they start moving with the times, or hope more people have values like them?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:32 am
I live in a community where Amish people are common. While I agree that some parts of their religion are quite harsh, I still respect their beliefs. They're actually kind people, (here, at least) even to technology geeks like myself. Maybe part of their religion is the pride in knowing that they accomplished something productive.
Did you know that Amish men don't grow their beards until they're married? Their beards are like a wedding ring, in a way. I guess that's what upset them so much when that man was breaking in their houses and shaving their hair. It's an odd religion, but it's kind of cute in a way. c:  

Demonic Incandescence

Dapper Dabbler

9,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Guildmember 100

Camo Ninja

Tipsy Exhibitionist

11,150 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Love Machine 150
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:17 pm
Morose X Marionette
I live in a community where Amish people are common. While I agree that some parts of their religion are quite harsh, I still respect their beliefs. They're actually kind people, (here, at least) even to technology geeks like myself. Maybe part of their religion is the pride in knowing that they accomplished something productive.
Did you know that Amish men don't grow their beards until they're married? Their beards are like a wedding ring, in a way. I guess that's what upset them so much when that man was breaking in their houses and shaving their hair. It's an odd religion, but it's kind of cute in a way. c:
Somebody was breaking into Amish homes and shaving the men's beards? That is weird.
I don't think I would like my husband to have a beard; but to each their own.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:44 pm
I think Amish people are cool and that some people should take on more values as they do. biggrin  

icecream-dreams

20. ✿ - - - Debating

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff