Submit

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:00 pm
I fear Millie the Thoroughly Modern Millipede has 100 feet in the grave and I don't know what to do to save her. For thoser of you that don't know, she is a Giant Black African Train and cost me a lot here in Utah. Last night and today she has gone completely LIMP! She is not moving except in slow reactions to being touched on her feelers and legs and such. She just hangs like a worm. What on earth could be wrong with her? Does anyone know?

My exotic vet does not treat arthropods so I am in the dark here and in tears.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:47 pm
unfortunately, I know nothing, but here is a forum about millipedes, I don't know if it will help, I also found this, but I think the symptoms are a little different, is it possible she is old?  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Krissim Klaw
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:18 pm
I would up her humidity big time as a last resort. You can also offer her some water via an eyedropper to her mandibles to see if she will drink. There could be a chance she is feeling out of sorts because she is getting ready to molt, but I believe they tend to coil before molting versus stretching out.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:10 pm
I am pretty sure Millie has passed now.

I only say pretty sure because she is not moving, (it's not like I can check for a pulse) but she is still limp... I would expect her to get stiff. I need to find out how to preserve her correctly. I have decided that rather than bury her I am going to preserve her and see if some museum or school wants her... OR, maybe keep her to show kids anyway (Rain suggested it and I may just do so) Maybe that sounds callus, but I just don't want her to go to waste.

Cowgirl-with-heart
unfortunately, I know nothing, but here is a forum about millipedes, I don't know if it will help, I also found this, but I think the symptoms are a little different, is it possible she is old?
That forum was helpful in that there was someone whose pede died the same way. I mean, like one that went through the same steps and died. It didn't help to SAVE her, but at least I felt like "yeah, this is what's happening."

She COULD be old. Their lifespan can be as long as 10 years, but the reptile expo dealer guy didn't know how old she was. I don't even know for CERTAIN that she wan't an illegal import. But I would not be surprised at all if the company (LLReptiles) got her from some outsourced breeder and knew nothing about her.

But I didn't THINK she was old. She wasn't huge, and I thought I had many years ahead with her. cry

Krissim Klaw
I would up her humidity big time as a last resort. You can also offer her some water via an eyedropper to her mandibles to see if she will drink. There could be a chance she is feeling out of sorts because she is getting ready to molt, but I believe they tend to coil before molting versus stretching out.
Good advice. Her humidity the last I checked was 80, but I kept misting her while she was lying there, in case she was dehydrated, or molting. But I agree, I think they would probably coil up (to be more protected) when they molt.

I just wish this had ended differently (obviously) She was so cool. So big and beautiful... I know, non-bug people will think that is bizarre but she was beautiful. She will be missed.  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:34 pm
Kipluck

I only say pretty sure because she is not moving, (it's not like I can check for a pulse) but she is still limp... I would expect her to get stiff. I need to find out how to preserve her correctly. I have decided that rather than bury her I am going to preserve her and see if some museum or school wants her... OR, maybe keep her to show kids anyway (Rain suggested it and I may just do so) Maybe that sounds callus, but I just don't want her to go to waste.

Cowgirl-with-heart
That forum was helpful in that there was someone whose pede died the same way. I mean, like one that went through the same steps and died. It didn't help to SAVE her, but at least I felt like "yeah, this is what's happening."

She COULD be old. Their lifespan can be as long as 10 years, but the reptile expo dealer guy didn't know how old she was. I don't even know for CERTAIN that she wan't an illegal import. But I would not be surprised at all if the company (LLReptiles) got her from some outsourced breeder and knew nothing about her.

But I didn't THINK she was old. She wasn't huge, and I thought I had many years ahead with her. cry

Krissim Klaw
Good advice. Her humidity the last I checked was 80, but I kept misting her while she was lying there, in case she was dehydrated, or molting. But I agree, I think they would probably coil up (to be more protected) when they molt.

I just wish this had ended differently (obviously) She was so cool. So big and beautiful... I know, non-bug people will think that is bizarre but she was beautiful. She will be missed.
awe I'm sorry Kip sad maybe she had some disease you didn't know about, you cant really tell, or even do anything for the bugs unfortunately, *hug*  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:03 pm
Kipluck

I'm so sorry Kip. Bugs can be such tricky critters. We can't take them to vets like other animals so it can often be nothing but a guess to what causes them to crash. I know how excited you were for her. *Hugs*

Skitter free Millie.  

Krissim Klaw
Crew

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas