Submit

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:56 am
this is the grandmother who had to move to a retirment community and coulent take her shepherd mix bear with her so she gave her to my dad.

she is lonely and lives by herself in her apartment and wants a cat but doesnt want o have to give the cat away to one of the family members when she gets too week to care for it or something. i think a cat would be great for her and i really think she needs a companion animal. she cries sometimes because she misses bear so much.

how can i convince her its ok to get a cat? everyone in the family loves cats and wouldnt hesitate to take in another one if she cant handle it anymore so rehoming it wouldnt be an issue at all.

i think a ragdoll or similar personality cat would be perfect for her  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:31 pm
I think a older cat would be great for her. Go to the shelter, find a cuddly cat upwards of say 5 years of age that is well through the kitten phase. I would make sure the cat is cat and dog friendly so that way if someone in the family has to take it later on you won't have a problem mixing it in any of your households. I would also avoid anything with longer fur. A short furred cat will be far easier for your grandmother to care for in the long run.  

Krissim Klaw
Crew

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:08 pm
Krissim Klaw
I think a older cat would be great for her. Go to the shelter, find a cuddly cat upwards of say 5 years of age that is well through the kitten phase. I would make sure the cat is cat and dog friendly so that way if someone in the family has to take it later on you won't have a problem mixing it in any of your households. I would also avoid anything with longer fur. A short furred cat will be far easier for your grandmother to care for in the long run.

I totally agree!

We gave my grandmother an older cat as well after my grandfather died. My family loves cats as well, so rehoming isn't a problem with us either. A while ago they gave her a second cat. She's crazy about them and loves them.

Sadly, she is probably suffering from dementia. And she often forget their names and to give them food. So thats why my father checks out on her and the cats.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:48 pm
Look around and you may even be able to find some great programs for such... For example, a cat rescue near me has this:

Quote:
Seniors for Seniors- We supply (& can deliver) all food, litter, blankets and toys, and will take care of any medical bills. All you need to supply is a safe indoor home, and a warm lap to curl up in. Our Senior cats are free to Seniors looking for loving companionship, and they can be returned at any time for any reason.

~ Aki - Fairy ~

Parfait Parrot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:30 pm
~ Aki - Fairy ~
Look around and you may even be able to find some great programs for such... For example, a cat rescue near me has this:

Quote:
Seniors for Seniors- We supply (& can deliver) all food, litter, blankets and toys, and will take care of any medical bills. All you need to supply is a safe indoor home, and a warm lap to curl up in. Our Senior cats are free to Seniors looking for loving companionship, and they can be returned at any time for any reason.

That program sounds fantastic. eek  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:18 am
~ Aki - Fairy ~

Quote:

Do they happen to have a website?  

pompoennetje

~ Aki - Fairy ~

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:23 am
Parfait Parrot
~ Aki - Fairy ~

Quote:

That program sounds fantastic. eek

I know, especially the fact that (as a senior) you can have a virtually free cat.

http://whiskerrescue.com/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:27 pm
I think an older cat would be a good thing. Especially if you rescue it from a shelter where it might otherwise be euthanized or remain homeless for some time. That way you could explain that even if she has to give it up eventually, she will be rescuing a cat in need and giving it much needed love and affection in the meantime. An older cat, that is calm and doesn't mind being picked up and handled, maybe even one that is already declawed if you can find it.

I have been toying with the idea of getting my grandmother a cat. She likes Rascal, and my uncle's cat, she would really benefit from the companionship, and having a living being to talk to and care for. BUT, she's, well she's not exactly an animal person, like, she has a heart lol, she feels bad for cats left outside by other tenants, but doesn't bring them in for fear they will scratch her furniture or piss in her house. She doesn't like spending money on creatures, even though she likes them, she sort of sees them as below humans and money to her is very important and stays in the family and is used for studies and investments. She can be generous with me but, would never give to a charity. When she does give me money, she makes me promise not to spend it on my dog lol.

So, I think finding the right cat will be trickier with her. I've had my eye open for cats who are 1. not too young and fiesty. 2. already declawed. Not much luck so far. And then the issue of food and litter remains I dunno how much she is willing to spend. So ideally, I would love for her to foster so she can at least see if it's something she'd be willing to do. But the kittens at school are very small and a bit skiddish. I want something that she can really socialize with. And of course the rescue has to be willing to take the cat back if she doesn't want to foster anymore. Also if the cat ever needed vet services, I'd have to take it and pay for it myself and lie to her about how much it really cost lol.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

The mage of twilight

Generous Friend

12,550 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:37 pm
Shanna66
this is the grandmother who had to move to a retirment community and coulent take her shepherd mix bear with her so she gave her to my dad.

she is lonely and lives by herself in her apartment and wants a cat but doesnt want o have to give the cat away to one of the family members when she gets too week to care for it or something. i think a cat would be great for her and i really think she needs a companion animal. she cries sometimes because she misses bear so much.

how can i convince her its ok to get a cat? everyone in the family loves cats and wouldnt hesitate to take in another one if she cant handle it anymore so rehoming it wouldnt be an issue at all.

i think a ragdoll or similar personality cat would be perfect for her

Well my cat just had kittens the are American short hairs I will sent you pictures when we put them on the computer.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:59 pm
I know a couple of the shelters here adopt out senior dogs and cats at a reduced fee for seniors. And they take them back should the human not be able to care for them before... well you know.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:43 pm
Shearaha
I know a couple of the shelters here adopt out senior dogs and cats at a reduced fee for seniors. And they take them back should the human not be able to care for them before... well you know.
yes, I believe my local shelter does too smile take her to look at a couple of the old ones, she might fall in love with an old softie! it would give a cat that would normally be overlooked a home!  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:24 am
honestly i was expecting you guys to talk me out of it because of the needing to rehome the cat later. i didnt think of an older cat, ill talk to her about it. it probably would end up declawed since thats the time she is from so an already declawed cat would be perfect. and when she had bear she would take her to the vet at the drop of a hat so i know the cat would recieve great care. plus with bear she was buying science diet so she has no problems buiying expensive foods if she thinks they are good so i can turn her onto evo or even share some of my wellness coupons with her  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:27 pm
Shanna66
honestly i was expecting you guys to talk me out of it because of the needing to rehome the cat later. i didnt think of an older cat, ill talk to her about it. it probably would end up declawed since thats the time she is from so an already declawed cat would be perfect. and when she had bear she would take her to the vet at the drop of a hat so i know the cat would recieve great care. plus with bear she was buying science diet so she has no problems buiying expensive foods if she thinks they are good so i can turn her onto evo or even share some of my wellness coupons with her
check on petfinder, you can find pre-declawed cats near you, its amazing o.o  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:47 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
Shanna66

i didnt even think of petfinder, i was just going to sneak her to the spca without telling her lol  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:11 pm
Shanna66
Cowgirl-with-heart
Shanna66

i didnt even think of petfinder, i was just going to sneak her to the spca without telling her lol
LOL well good luck with whatever you choose to do xD  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces