Ferret want

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:37 pm
I think even Skek might be jealous. I held a ferret for a catheter placement. Poor lil guy had a toe removed because of a mass. After I hand fed him cause he was really high for a long time. What a frreaakkiinngg cutie pie. I'm afraid I might have caught the ferret bug. Add that to the sugar glider bug. I'm in trouble now guys. I would also own a cockatoo if I could potty train it lol. I'm gona need a big house...  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:22 pm
What do you mean 'even', lol? Surely you must know that I get jealous over any ferret cuddles, always. rofl

He sounds like a total sweetie. And I hear ya on the housing requirements, hahaha.  

Skeksis

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:08 am
He was a lot nicer than many of the cats and dogs I've restrained. He was just a bit wiggly. He was an all white fert but I found him rather greasy, I dunno if that was because of the mass, my guess would be the diet because when I asked about it they said all ferts are greasy like that, but he was like, REALLY greasy and his fur had a yellow tinge to it. The fert I rescued at school (athena's markings, sorry I dunno the names of colors and stuff) was pretty soft and relatively odorless. Maybe she'd had her glands removed?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:14 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
He was a lot nicer than many of the cats and dogs I've restrained. He was just a bit wiggly. He was an all white fert but I found him rather greasy, I dunno if that was because of the mass, my guess would be the diet because when I asked about it they said all ferts are greasy like that, but he was like, REALLY greasy and his fur had a yellow tinge to it. The fert I rescued at school (athena's markings, sorry I dunno the names of colors and stuff) was pretty soft and relatively odorless. Maybe she'd had her glands removed?
from what I understand, the males are a bit more greasy, also, you being in Canada I suppose that not all of the ferts have been de-scented/neutered/spayed like most of the ones here in US  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:42 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
from what I understand, the males are a bit more greasy, also, you being in Canada I suppose that not all of the ferts have been de-scented/neutered/spayed like most of the ones here in US

I really don't know how it works in the pet stores here, as I've never paid too much attention to the animals, I tend to walk in, get the things I absolutely need and couldn't buy anywhere else (hate supporting pet stores) and leave. But I remember seeing an add at school once for ferrets for adoption, all descented.

I do know that diet wise we are REALLY behind the times here in Quebec. The only vets that know anything about raw or high protein foods, know only what they've been told by nutritionists who give it a really bad rep in order to sell their own product. We actually had a guest speaker that was mandatory for every year of my program to attend and she spent 30mins talking s**t about raw. It's to the point where I am afraid to tell anyone that I feed it. And I know most people just buy whatever ferret food is sold in stores. Which around here, you'd be lucky if you could find EVO, you'd have to go to a holistic store to find that.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:49 pm
Was he an albino or a dark eyed white?

There's a few reasons ferts may have a greasy coat...in spayed/neutered ferrets diet is a big one, and so is the regularity in which their bedding gets washed. If their bedding isn't washed quite frequently it will collect oil which can then transfer back onto the coat. Males in general also have a slightly different coat texture; they tend to be coarser whilst the jill coat feels more silky.
They can also get greasy if washed too often.
And a greasy coat can also be symptomatic of Adrenal Disease. The yellow tinge in the coat is just oxidized oil.

With intact male ferrets there is no getting away from the oily coat, especially during the breeding season. Roland is like an oil slick at the moment; he is also bright yellow!

Athy's marking are known as 'polecat' here and in the UK. In the US and Canada they are called 'Sable'. smile The a**l glands don't really effect coat texture or odour, her softness and lack of offensive odours sound like normal jill traits. smile  

Skeksis

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:08 pm
Skeksis
Was he an albino or a dark eyed white?

There's a few reasons ferts may have a greasy coat...in spayed/neutered ferrets diet is a big one, and so is the regularity in which their bedding gets washed. If their bedding isn't washed quite frequently it will collect oil which can then transfer back onto the coat. Males in general also have a slightly different coat texture; they tend to be coarser whilst the jill coat feels more silky.
They can also get greasy if washed too often.
And a greasy coat can also be symptomatic of Adrenal Disease. The yellow tinge in the coat is just oxidized oil.

With intact male ferrets there is no getting away from the oily coat, especially during the breeding season. Roland is like an oil slick at the moment; he is also bright yellow!

Athy's marking are known as 'polecat' here and in the UK. In the US and Canada they are called 'Sable'. smile The a**l glands don't really effect coat texture or odour, her softness and lack of offensive odours sound like normal jill traits. smile

Again, why I feel like ferts are kind of like big rats. They have so many similarities with the boys being greaseballs and the girls being soft. I have no idea if he was neutered. Or any of his history, and he was a dark eyed white.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games