Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Help and Advice
Transgender in need of help Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kaylin_5171

Fashionable Businesswoman

3,750 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Millionaire 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:52 pm
I am a transgender. I have felt that I needed to get this out to people so I could receive help. I have only told 2 people ever until today, My sister and my mother. That was the only time I mentioned it, after that day, things went back to the way they were, with me hiding it. I have been hiding it since I realized it, about 2 years ago.I have always liked boy stuff like NASCAR, football, Die-cast cars, but I have felt that my body was wrong.

This is the only way I could possibly get good help.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:57 pm
G0h4n1234
I have always liked boy stuff like NASCAR, football, Die-cast cars, but I have felt that my body was wrong.
The steel tastes so sweet,

Not all guys like that stuff. razz
I think what thats called is being a tomboy.
I could be wrong.
I give up, I admit defeat.

The Laziest Czar

6,100 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:00 pm
Moved to proper subforum.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:14 am
I can't speak from experience but I do know that if you're not completely sure that it's something you should look into before coming out. If you're already positive then I'd say make sure you know where you stand (Transgender Umbrella) before coming out to your friends and family so you're prepared to walk them though what it is you expect from them such as pronoun use and whether or not you want surgery or hormones (no op, pre-op and post op) I've only ever heard one transgender's story at a college seminar. His name is Ryan Cassada, I don't know if it'll help but there should be a lot of stuff online about him that might help you. He was on Tyra and another show. He's also a Female to Male too so it might help you to hear some other people's stories of what you're going through. There is a video he made called Gender Dysphoria on Youtube that you might be able to connect with or will help you tell if you're not sure.

Just keep in mind coming out isn't easy. Before and during the transformation can be difficult and being in public setting especially with public restrooms can be tricky. Be prepared for support as well as rejection and remember there are other people who are going through what you are and I'm sure they'd be happy to share their stories with you.

Hope that helps.
Cheiz  

CheizLord

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200

FauxZombie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:25 pm
It's a good thing that you were able to come out to your parents, however, if you expect to be recognized publically and socially you will have to come out to your friends as well. You'd be surprised how many people can be supportive and accepting of one transition.
As CheizLord said, you will have you to do some researching to know what exactly you want. Though, as you transition, you will find find your own self-balance of what you feel comfortable as and what it means to be the gender in which you choose to be - there are all sorts of mediums to being a transgender.

Speaking from experience, I found that coming out to my parents was the hardest thing and that friends was the easiest. Keep in mind, though, that not every one will accept you for who you are or some have a hard time understanding (which you will have to educate and exert some patience but also reinforce your gender if they reference your biological gender).

Also... I'm assuming that you're saying that you're a FTM transgender, so here's a couple links that I have found useful within my own transition so far.
Hudson's FTM Guide
The Transitional Male
Transguys
There are many more sites in which you can gather information from, but I seem to have lost an extra site or two.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:42 pm
There's one problem with coming out to my friends, Its how my school is. My school, when it comes to bullying, is the worst school in the county. I'm already bullied. I am planning to come out later this month, or early 2012, but What i'm afraid of is what will come of it when word gets around. Also, if I choose the physical transition treatments, where will I get them. there are two hospitals nearby I'm not sure if either will provide it. and btw, I'm pretty sure I'm MTF  

Kaylin_5171

3,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Gender Swap 100

Kaylin_5171

3,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:37 pm
I really need help on what to do now. My mom is pretty much stopping the whole thing, saying not to tell my best friend, and saying "No, you're not dressing up as a girl" When I talked to her again. please help! I need some actually supporting people to talk to!  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:55 am
G0h4n1234
I really need help on what to do now. My mom is pretty much stopping the whole thing, saying not to tell my best friend, and saying "No, you're not dressing up as a girl" When I talked to her again. please help! I need some actually supporting people to talk to!

Well, My surgestion is to say that it is your choice what to do, do what you feel is right. Don't let someone else have this choice in who you want to be.  

GetYourGutsOut

8,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Brandisher 100

Kara_99

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:22 am
drift975
Don't let someone else have this choice in who you want to be.

Agreed. No one can define you but YOU.

My mother, who I love dearly, has tried to argue that I can't be female because I like video games and horror movies. Never mind all the girls out there who enjoy video games and horror movies. Never mind my sister, who watches football while drinking beer and isn't told she can't do that because it's something boys do.

Trying to help my parents understand the real me has been a difficult uphill struggle. It's like a loss, they are losing their "son" (or "daughter" for FtM's). The may go through the stages of grief, and my mother has been stuck in denial for months. But you just have to hold your ground. Be firm, be consistent, but do NOT be hostile. I really should have come out years ago, it's harder for my parents because they've had much longer to see me as someone I'm not (I'm 30, and yes, in my heart I still want my parents to be proud of me). On the other hand, it can also be difficult to be yourself if you live at home and therefore can't support yourself financially to be able to buy the clothes and items you want to buy.

Just do the best you can to be yourself.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:58 am
Its hard for me to do anything to help myself right now, because of where I live. The only smart thing my mom said about this is I would be bullied worse than I already am, And she's been saying I haven't been showing ANY signs of it, but that's because I'm hiding it for the time being, But right now, I just want to go through with the transition, but I can't because of my current school situation.  

Kaylin_5171

3,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Gender Swap 100

godoftherain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:49 pm
Northe
G0h4n1234
I have always liked boy stuff like NASCAR, football, Die-cast cars, but I have felt that my body was wrong.
The steel tastes so sweet,

Not all guys like that stuff. razz
I think what thats called is being a tomboy.
I could be wrong.
I give up, I admit defeat.

This is bad advice and you should stop giving it.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:51 pm
G0h4n1234
Its hard for me to do anything to help myself right now, because of where I live. The only smart thing my mom said about this is I would be bullied worse than I already am, And she's been saying I haven't been showing ANY signs of it, but that's because I'm hiding it for the time being, But right now, I just want to go through with the transition, but I can't because of my current school situation.

It's very hard for parents to accept these things, and "signs" is not really a valid excuse.

there is no "one" way to feel ambiguous about your gender; your mom is just having trouble accepting or understanding.

You should try to see a therapist, who can help you work through your feelings in a safe environment and help you develop coping mechanisms for when you can start exploring your gender more.  

godoftherain

Tasia Tatsuko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:42 pm
godoftherain
G0h4n1234

It's very hard for parents to accept these things, and "signs" is not really a valid excuse.

there is no "one" way to feel ambiguous about your gender; your mom is just having trouble accepting or understanding.

You should try to see a therapist, who can help you work through your feelings in a safe environment and help you develop coping mechanisms for when you can start exploring your gender more.

My suggestion, if you cant afford to see a therapist, is to talk to a school counselor. They still have to respect your choice for silence but be sure that one of the first things you tell them is that they are not to talk about it with anyone. And, unless you tell them you want to kill yourself or someone else, most school counselors will respect this.
Another option is to tell only your closest friends, the one you know can keep it quite and see how they react. Bullying is hard on anyone but, in my experience, if you start bullying them back, they tend to stop. I'm not saying to pull a Columbine but to make it clear that you wont stand for it anymore and that if they continue there will be repercussions (i.e. police involvement for harassment)  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:58 am
Guidance counsellor is definitely a great idea, I'm a transfemale myself and with my current application to university I was originally told that i'd have to go to the guidance counsellor or principal of the last 'school' or educational institution I attended. In this case I had a talk with the guidance counsellor from the last Techical College (TAFE in AU) I had attended, had to go over the whole trans thing with her but it worked out fine.

Showing early 'signs' of being transgender is not something that always happens, or if it is they might show up in places where your parents won't notice. In my own case, I showed signs of transgenderism all through my school years, but I never recognised them myself except in hindsight and of course my parents never saw it either, after all they didn't go to school with me XD. I wish I had understood my situation back in my school years, I'd have progressed so much further by now, but it wasn't until 2006 that I realised, and I was 20 at the time, yet I didn't have the courage or drive to do anything about it until 2009.

Now then...parents are probably one of the greatest obstacles you have to overcome as a transgender individual, and it's often worse for a m2f than for a f2m. If it's possible to get your Mum to come around and start to actually help you, there are groups like PFLAG and depending on your location there may be such things as youth services you could go to get further help. If you want to start transitioning at a younger age it is better but if you're under 18 (or 21 in some areas) you have to get the clearance from your parent/s in order to be allowed to get on hormones for example. If your mother is being stubborn about it, I for one would 'confront' her about it, but be assertive, not aggressive, try to explain to her your situation and feelings about all of this, ask her if she could support your decisions, if she refuses to, try to get her to explain why she is so against it. If you don't have the confidence to confront her directly about it, write a note or a letter and leave it somewhere she will readilly notice it.
Your school situation is regretable, in regards to bullying, if it's simply verbal then you should just try to ignore it, as I had to when I was in school. If it's physical...well you can try to just walk away, or run somewhere you could be safe, it might be handy to learn some sort of self defence or martial arts as well, disciplining the mind could help you to deal with other issues you may run into.  

Kaori Amatsuka

Sugary Bunny

14,175 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500

Kara_99

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:28 am
G0h4n1234
The only smart thing my mom said about this is I would be bullied worse than I already am

Well, that's not a guarantee. I came out in May, a month before my 30th birthday, and I found out that all my fears of rejection and hatred from everyone I knew were wrong. Almost every single person I know just shrugged and said, "Well, nothing wrong with that." Granted, when I was in high school I swore I'd never come out. I was too afraid. So, I did what was expected of me I pretended to be a guy, I dated a girl, we got married and had a family. And it was enough, at first. I couldn't convince myself I was a normal "guy" the way I had everyone else convinced. Something was always missing in my life, but that was something I'd been used to. I'd felt like that for as long as I could remember.

It eventually got to be too much to bear and I told my wife. She was very accepting and it was truly the most wonderful time of our marriage. We were never as close as we had been then. Then, 2 years later, she changed her mind and decided that me being transgender was NOT okay and when I couldn't just stop being trans she spent 3 years trying to force it out of me through non-stop emotional abuse. Things fell apart, she was having an affair, and last December, after almost 10 years of marriage, everything crashed and burned. Now, a year later, I'm happier than I've ever been in my life. I still have a mountain of stress and my ongoing legal battle with my ex is still very bitter and spiteful on her part, but even with all that I am happy. Because at least now, even though I'm struggling with bills and court costs and non-acceptance from my parents and so many things... at least now I can be real.

You don't have to come out right this moment. If you don't feel the time is right due to your school situation, then wait until you are ready. Talk to who you can talk to, read online about how/when others came out, maybe get some kind of timeline or at least a vague plan in mind for what you want to do, when you want to do it.

The biggest mistake I made came when I was 15. I figured out why everything felt "off" in my life. I put a name to what I was. I accepted myself as female. But then I stuffed the real me deep within myself and continued to live a lie, to be who everyone else wanted me to be. And I was miserable. It took me 15 years and a failed marriage to come out, but I finally did it and things are so much more bearable now.

All those cheesy "It Gets Better" videos that have been going around the net? Yeah, they're right. It really does.  
Help and Advice

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff