Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:39 am
has anyone seen the commercial? its a hug for your dog rofl  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:18 am
I haven't seen commercials for it, but I've heard a lot about it on 'here'... Might get one for Bella for Christmas, because her separation anxiety is really bad lately.  

~ Aki - Fairy ~

Animelover955

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:55 pm
I haven't see the commercials, but I use one with Abby. She has extreme anxiety and has a tendency to have panic attacks during storms and other events like fireworks. It helps. I haven't seen an extremely drastic change in her behavior, but I can tell during storms she's a bit more calmer, not quite as clingy, and no longer gets to the serious point of almost having a panic attack.

A friend of mine also uses one before her agility runs with her spazzy kelpie and it helps her a lot with calming him before runs  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:57 am
wow so they really work? i didnt know. i thought it was just some stupid gimick  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:10 am
@Shanna, it has to do with the swadeling concept. If you have ever heard of swadeling a baby. It's not a gimmick, although it is a lot of money for some material. If anyone has used one, I would really appreciate feedback as we're selling these at my store now.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:16 am
I haven't used one personally, but with the training sessions I've been assisting with we've had several dogs that started wearing them. The most dramatic by far was this little chi/doxi mix. He was very fear aggressive, especially with strangers in the house. The first time I visited I though I was gonna get my toes bitten off. The next time I went they had gotten the recommended Thundershirt. He was a whole different dog. Still a little nervous, but no where near the out of control barking, growling and nipping that he had on the first visit.

Now they were using it in conjunction with a training program, so it wasn't all the Thundershirt, but I know it helps.

There's also a Brittney I know with severe anxiety around other dogs. She's on Prozac already, but she was able to start working through her fears faster with her Thundershirt on.

Yeah, I can't recommend these things enough. And with the guarantee if it doesn't work for your dog then you're only out some time.

The key with them is the fit. You do not want a gap between the front legs and the wrap. Every time I've seen a dog that the owners say it doesn't work for the fit isn't right.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Animelover955

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:11 pm
I've been planning to start adding a bit of training to work with the TR-shirt for Abby, but guess I've been a bit busy so haven't really done anything plus haven't had any major storms with the exception of the night I bought it a few months back.

Anywho My friends kelpie is like a whole new dog when he's running agility. She even managed to get a Q with him a few weeks back. At home he's a great dog and listens and when their training for agility he does perfect, but at trials he's a mess. Anyway here's an example of him with/without use the T-shirt before the runs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP9hBXyPJvU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

she explains a bit more in the um thingy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3kojfcoKjc

It's basically made to put pressure on all the pressure points of the dog to give them a calming affect. There's also a cheap alternative I was giving. Which was basically a bandage wrap thingy you can buy from like CVS and wrap it in a way that it hits the same pressure points and creates the same effect  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games