Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
More Agility! (with videos)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Animelover955

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:12 pm
well for starters a pic of Abby from class tonight(yup finally got one)
User Image

Well we had our final class tonight sad It was fun, but tonight Abby was a real brat(maybe it was because our instructor was sick so she figured she could get away with it?) most likely because of the rain all day I didn't get the chance to get her out at all so she had some pent up energy. She was pretty good, but when I had her offleash and we were working with our assistant instructor she decided to bolt and visit one of the other dogs oh and she was extremely distracted by the other treats lying around(what can I say she's a pig), but as the class advanced she calmed down and focused better on me.

Her 2o2o is coming along pretty well. I should probably be working a bit more on it, but I've been busy, but I will hop to it and work with her tomorrow.

Her weaves are just epic. We're doing 2x2 and I mean she already has experience with weaves, but she's doing great. She's weaving 4 straight and has awesome drive through them at class(at home not so much unless a toy is involved). She can also enter at various angles which is great and hopefully this week I'll add the last to 2x2's...

Her teeter is ok. We're using a full height one and so far I can get her all the way to the other end (our teacher is standing on the end of the plank to keep it from tipping) and she was doing great with that, but then we added a bit of a wobble I guess and it spooked her. So we're starting from the beginning again. Though that happened at the last class(2 weeks ago) and today we didn't use the teeter

Her tunnel is epic. At our last class she refused to sniff it let alone run through it, but amazingly tonight she powered through the tunnel and it was even bent at an angle and she was like pfft piece of cake. And now she seems to love it. She's got amazing drive through it and we were able to do a few jump/tunnel reps with her tonight.

We also did the tire jump and all the dogs aced it. Abby seems to have suddenly got really drivey all of a sudden though it's probably also because we're at class. I mean at home she goes about half speed. Hopefully I will get together with the girl I take classes with and we'll get all of our equipment up to a park and do some work/hang out with the dogs.

But yup tonight was our last class. But new session starts next week! My birthday is this friday so just need to bring up oh my birthday present will be 8 more weeks of agility classes(or else I'll have to pay again) and just have to get everything in order by friday and we're good to go.

It's great being a part of the agility community. I might try to go to a few USDAA trials this december with the girl I take classes with. Also have new years party I can hopefully attend, Should be fun!

Also two vids I made over the past few weeks. the last is blech. I spaced the poles to far apart and other shizz...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PxaowmPP0k
]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR_bnU-QXNI

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:43 pm
I think the reason she might be driveyer in class is because she is recognizing her work environment. Granted it's distracting to have new dogs and smells, her backyard is a place where she plays, naps, walks, pees, poos etc. The reason a dog gets disqualified for elliminating on the field is a matter of the dog "respecting" their work environment. Which she is likely starting to do.

It reminds me of when people say you shouldn't study or watch TV in bed so your body knows bed=sleep. Well for working dogs, ring=work or sled dogs harness=pull collar=no pulling. Even service dogs for handicapped wear special gear when they are working.

As for the teeter, this is definitely the scariest object. Learning it indoors is a disadvantage as the sound echos. There's many ways of learning teeter, here's how Cowboy learned it.

In beginner's the first few classes the teachers would slowly move the teeter so it would make the bang noise and as it did, we all treated our dogs. They would try not to let it go fast/loud at first and they would repeat this a a few times each week. Then Cowboy learned the teeter with the table method. By propping the ends against your tables so that it doesn't move at all when they walk across you get the dog's confidence up. Then we switch one table for a slightly shorter one, so the teeter moves a little. Now here's where it differed in the other club we went to, they prefer to stand on the high side and hold the teeter while the dog walks, so they can slowly control it going down. This way the dog is less startled about the movement and there is no noise.

I had to re teach the teeter last summer to Cowboy, there's some footage of it in this video I think. (along with other irrelevant stuff)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNrs1p-v1qw

And still no video of Abby!? Common!  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Animelover955

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:57 pm
yeah she's definitely more go go go in class. At home there are times where she gets all in her work mode, but that's generally if I get her hyped up on a toy, but I also found working Bo in front of her when she's in lala land makes her snap focus and actually start wanting to work

The teeter is the biggest obstacle for us right now. Right now we're propping one end up on a stool and our instructor stands on the other end that's touching the ground just to make sure it stays still and we just get the dogs interested in it and as their confidence grows we start releasing and the second they hit the contact we treat and as they walk up the tilt praise and treat then lift them up and put them on the ground. And we were at the point where I could release Abby and she would walk the incline to the second contact zone and started lowering the treat so she was crouching, but I'm not sure where we're at now since she got a bit spooked the last time

And as far as the noise that's one of my concerns as well since she has a history with loud bangs. The night we started the teeter our instructor brought out one of her JRT's and demoed a "good" teeter and a "bad" teeter and the bang spooked her a big, but I plan to give the bang game a try and hopefully help desensitize her to the noise

*hides behind chair*
I'll get a vid soon (hopefully) promise. I just have no one to tape *sniff*  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces