Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Moist hide for shedding Mali?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akari_32

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:19 pm
Rex is going through his first real shed, and he's doing all kinds of strange things, like throwing sand all over the tank, trying to dig further than his 5 inches of sand will allow him, not eating, then pigging out a few days later, and being rather skittish.

I was wondering if maybe the reason he was digging so much was maybe he was trying to find some moisture to help him shed? I was thinking this because, like, Leo's use moist hides when shedding, my friend would put her African Rock Python in a warm bath to help her shed, and so on.

Am I right in this thinking, or is there something else I should tell my mom to do for him (I live 8 hours away from him, my mom cares for him for the time being), or should she let him just do what he's doing?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:33 am
just spraying down the tank should be enough to raise the humidity a little. if you want you can also make a humid hide for his next shed.  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Akari_32

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:56 am
So he should have some when he's shedding then? The humidity is pretty low (not so low to where its supposed to be, but he seems ok with it none the less), but its not high enough to assist with shedding, I wouldn't think. I want to say its in the 40%'s? Would this be enough, considering its supposed to be in the 20% range, or not because he's used to it?

I want to be extra careful with him, as he's my first leap in to the reptile world heart (great beginner reptile, right LOL)  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 pm
lol you sure picked an odd starter lizard XD im sure just a little big higher than what it should be will be fine. besides, if there is stuck shed it isnt the end of the world  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Akari_32

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:40 pm
Getting him started as a joke to my mom when she asked me what I wanted for Christmas last year. I happened to be at PetSmart the day before she asked, and had the most adorable picture of him checking me out, so I sent it to her.

Here we are, about $400, and year later LOL I did tell her after she gave him to me I was joking, but I really love him and wouldn't trade him for anything heart Hurray for impulse buys! blaugh

Also, I've never given him a "bath." Should I ever do that? Some sites say once a week, others, every few months. His feet and tummy are kinda orangey from when mom had him on Calci-Sand for a few weeks, last year. Shedding should get that off, though, right? And he gets plenty moist foods, and occasionally some water over is food. So a bath shouldn't really be needed too much for moisture with what we are doing, right?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:41 pm
I give my bearded dragon baths when he is getting ready to shed and I think it helps.  

imderanged

Akari_32

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:45 pm
imderanged
I give my bearded dragon baths when he is getting ready to shed and I think it helps.

Could I do tap water? Straight, or conditioned? Is fish water conditioner ok, or do I need the reptile kind? Or should it be bottled? I don't mind buying stuff for him 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:12 am
Akari_32
imderanged

Could I do tap water? Straight, or conditioned? Is fish water conditioner ok, or do I need the reptile kind? Or should it be bottled? I don't mind buying stuff for him 3nodding

lol i premember when you first posted about him.

as long as your water is safe enough for you to drink lots of it then it will be fine for him to bathe in and drink. just make sure its nice and warm  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Akari_32

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:18 am
Shanna66
Akari_32
imderanged

lol i premember when you first posted about him.

as long as your water is safe enough for you to drink lots of it then it will be fine for him to bathe in and drink. just make sure its nice and warm

Well theres chlorine, chloramines, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in it. We filter the water through a Britta pitcher before we drink it. Mostly for taste though. Its weird at times. Like mold >.<  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:18 pm
If you're not sure about his exact humidity, check home depot. Before I even got Lazy, I found an inside/outside thermometer that also checks humidity there for $10.  

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Akari_32

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:22 pm
Vanilla eXee
If you're not sure about his exact humidity, check home depot. Before I even got Lazy, I found an inside/outside thermometer that also checks humidity there for $10.

I'm not sure because I'm not there to see it LOL Thats a good deal though. I paid almost $20 for two dial thermometers, and a dial humidistat when I got him :/  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:31 pm
Akari_32
Vanilla eXee

I'm not sure because I'm not there to see it LOL Thats a good deal though. I paid almost $20 for two dial thermometers, and a dial humidistat when I got him :/

x.x oh man. I like the indoor/outdoor because it's one thing that I can use on both ends of the cage.  

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

imderanged

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:31 pm
Akari_32
imderanged

I use tap water at about 95 degrees. I like to use the reptile conditioner. A lot of fish conditioners have aloe or whatnot for the fish's slime coat, which I don't think would actually hurt a lizard, but could make him slimy or sticky. Plus, the Reptisafe conditioner I use adds some electrolytes to the water which I like since bath time is just about the only time Vlad drinks water other than what comes from his food. I've used straight tap water a few times when I've run out of conditioner without any ill effects though.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:38 pm
imderanged
Akari_32
imderanged

I use tap water at about 95 degrees. I like to use the reptile conditioner. A lot of fish conditioners have aloe or whatnot for the fish's slime coat, which I don't think would actually hurt a lizard, but could make him slimy or sticky. Plus, the Reptisafe conditioner I use adds some electrolytes to the water which I like since bath time is just about the only time Vlad drinks water other than what comes from his food. I've used straight tap water a few times when I've run out of conditioner without any ill effects though.

Awesome, thanks!

I went to ReptiCon today, and got him a new cave (I think I'll save it for when he gets a big bigger, though, as its quite large, and he likes to curl up in his current cave), some powdered vitamins, a strange, gel-y sort of food thats got lots of good stuff in it, and some random samples (including Betta food and water conditioner, and hermit crab water conditioners lol).  

Akari_32

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff