Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Mental stimulation?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Elly_the_lost_penguin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:33 pm
I think my dog needs more mental stimulation. We play frisbee and we are working on basic obedience but I think he still isn't getting enough mental stimulation. What do you do to challenge your dog?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:21 pm
I play tag with mine! I'll tap him on the back or gently tug his tail and run off.  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Azusanga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:36 pm
When Kayda was alive I'd put treats inside of a cereal box, tape the ends shut, and cut small, pencil-thick holes throughout. She'd have to rip the box open for treats. She loved it.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:43 pm
I use a water bottle with treats/food dropped inside for my rotti mix. I used to put the cap on for more of a challenge, but he developed a liking for chewing them after he got them off, so I have to leave them off now. I think an over all favorite of my three dogs is an empty jar of peanut butter. The bits left in the bottom edge keep them going for hours smile  

Akari_32

Azusanga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:47 pm
Akari_32
I use a water bottle with treats/food dropped inside for my rotti mix. I used to put the cap on for more of a challenge, but he developed a liking for chewing them after he got them off, so I have to leave them off now. I think an over all favorite of my three dogs is an empty jar of peanut butter. The bits left in the bottom edge keep them going for hours smile

Kayda would go at the peanut butter and chew off chunks of the jar, leaving sharp schrapnel all around the house. Putting peanut butter on the inside of a store-bought bone was an absolute favorite.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:27 pm
Azusanga
Akari_32

Kayda would go at the peanut butter and chew off chunks of the jar, leaving sharp schrapnel all around the house. Putting peanut butter on the inside of a store-bought bone was an absolute favorite.

My dogs just try to lick it out. Its really funny, actually XD

One lady told me she puts peanut butter in a Kong toy, puts bits of meaty treats (like Beggin' Strips, or jerky treats) in there, and then freezes it.  

Akari_32

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:13 pm
I love find it games! I will choose a room, usually my own, hide small treats under books, bowls, behind things etc. And then tell the dog to find it. Great for mental stimulation, my dogs love it to and it really gets them thinking. To start off with it's best to let the dog watch you hide treats in simple places, but once the dog has figured out the game, don't let it see you hide the treats, and make hiding places more challenging  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:41 pm
What kind of dog do you have and how long to do you play/work with him on average?

I like to play "find it" on a rainy day with my dog. I hide a toy (you could use a treat) and get him to look for it. Agility is also good for a high drive dog. Or maybe you'd be interested in freestyle frisbee. It's a lil more challenging for both owner and dog.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:39 pm
I used to take a big fluffy, slippery sleeping bag and wrap it all up with a toy inside of it. Then I would squeak the toy, and she would go nuts for it. She learned how to unroll it with her front paws and how to sniff it out between the folds. smile And she never tore up the sleeping bag, either.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:28 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
What kind of dog do you have and how long to do you play/work with him on average?

I like to play "find it" on a rainy day with my dog. I hide a toy (you could use a treat) and get him to look for it. Agility is also good for a high drive dog. Or maybe you'd be interested in freestyle frisbee. It's a lil more challenging for both owner and dog.

He is a Dalmatian/Australian Shepherd mix we think so he has a lot of energy. During the week he gets walked in the morning before school and at night when I get home and I work with on commands for 15 minutes at the least (I have kind of a hectic schedule until after first semester is over).
On the weekends we walk for anywhere from 2 to 5 hours a day and work on basic commands for 5-10 minute sessions about 6 times a day.

I would love to do agility but I want to wait till he's a little older(he's 8 months) and is better at simple commands before we go on to something harder.  

Elly_the_lost_penguin

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:13 pm
I love that this guild is being taken over by Aussies biggrin ya, Aussies are a really high energy breed, and SMART and dalmations are a working breed with lots of stamina. Of course at 8 months you're right to hold off on impact sports, and most agility clubs expect dogs to have taken an obedience course before starting, but it's definitely something that would be good for him in the near future.

Sounds like you're keeping up with his needs pretty well. Even my aussie doesn't get more than 1hr walks anymore. (In my defence I have two jobs to pay for his vet fees AND school)

Some good mental games like I said, the "find it" game. Where you basically teach your dog to look for a toy or food. You can start off really easy and gradually make it harder once he gets the idea.

There's also puzzle toys like the "tricky treat" ball and the Aikou. There's puzzle toys too, I forget the brand and name but squeeky toys placed inside another toy and the dog must pull them each out.

Play dates with other dogs is also a really great way to stimulate a dog.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:05 pm
I love aussies too biggrin they are so beautiful and smart. I like the find it game idea but I'm kind of worried about him getting bored when I'm not home. I'm at school for 15 hours a day to catch up on credits and graduate on time.  

Elly_the_lost_penguin

Animelover955

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:25 pm
Aussies are the shizz! There's a red merle male in my agility class and he's such a character also should be getting mine in a few years not to sure when now though since I decided to wait instead of getting mine this fall.

With my two for mental stimulation we generally just have a few short training sessions a day. Abby works on her HW for agility as well as obedience and some new fun tricks and Bo well right now we're working a lot on his skills with other dogs and his reactivity.

Puzzle toys are a great idea. I have this one Bo has mastered it, but Abby is to smart for her own good. She'll sniff it then just sit there and stare at me because she knows if she waits long enough I'll given in and give the treats to her. And if I walk away she'll just ignore it then let Bo get at it and steal the treats from him when he gets the thingy out.

Other treat toys like kongs and toys like the hide and squeak squirrel toys are also good ideas...

Also as far as agility training you can work on foundation training and uprights when you have time that way when/if you decided tog et intoa gility and take classes you've already got some work done

for example this- their working on the basics like hand touches, targeting, etc. Also start line stays are a big one

and this- working her pup on uprights  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:26 pm
Elly_the_lost_penguin
I love aussies too biggrin they are so beautiful and smart. I like the find it game idea but I'm kind of worried about him getting bored when I'm not home. I'm at school for 15 hours a day to catch up on credits and graduate on time.

that's where the tricky treat ball is nice. I put my dog's breakfast in that thing and leave. Keeps him occupied for AT LEAST 30mins.

Is there anyone at home to let him out to pee at least? If you tire him out real good before you leave by the time he'd be finished with a tricky treat ball he probably wouldn't mind napping for a few hours. I mean, ya, chances are he WILL be bored but at least it'll keep him occupied for some of it.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces