A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 29. ✿ - - - School and Work
Project Presentation

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you have a fear of speaking in public?
  Totally.
  Nah, not really.
View Results

D1RTY C3X C3LL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:20 pm
I have a presentation to do this upcoming Friday on Sylvia Plath. I have to teach my class about her (short) life, how it influenced her work, read two of her poems aloud, interpret them, and have a visual of one of said poems.

My problem is I have a huge fear of talking in front of people. I just can't do it. My mouth gets all dry, my face goes red, I forget everything and I stutter. I have huge anxiety problems, and I can't get out of presenting.

My question is what's the best way to get over this fear while I'm in front of the class? Are there any techniques to it? Please share.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:50 pm
I heard that imagining your audience in their underwear helps somehow. I've never used this technique, though, so I wouldn't really know.

What helps me is just taking a deep breath, and imagining myself alone with someone I'm comfortable with. I feel anxious talking to large groups, too. But talking alone with someone I trust isn't a problem. So I imagine I'm talking to them and them alone. It usually works out pretty well.  

Rei Uchikino

Frezeal

Shameless Elder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:36 pm
Well, I think about it in a way that I will have to present in front of my co-workers someday so I might as well get over public speaking fears now.

Practice the night before in the mirror, in front of family members, etc. I can't really give you advice on how to get over it though, it just takes time. One activity to do for future presentations is maybe to take a class that involves public speaking (theater, business, a club that involves presentation, etc.). It helped me tremendously because I basically presented all the time.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:49 pm
ah my choir teacher in grade 8 said to just stare straight at the wall.

-.-; I was really shy infront of my classes (-_-; aha I never talked in any of my classes unless I was with a super close friend)

Best thing I would suggest is just to rehearse and try to focus on your project rather than the people. If you find yourself stumbling just take a deep breath and start again. biggrin  

Cinna Feather

Shirtless Lover

5,250 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200

jesusgirl115

Dangerous Friend

8,050 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:01 pm
I know exactly what your going through! I have a huge fear of speaking in public and my piano teacher forces me into these recitals playing from memory O_O I stress everyday until it's over...

But as for helping with your problem-

Bring a cold water bottle. There is no shame in needing to pause and take a drink, professionals do all the time. Try timing it to after you bring up your visual aid, before switching gears and reading the poems ect.

Wear something that looks halfway decent (Your not livin the dumpster) but something comfortable. You won't be able to focus if your constantly pulling up the top of your shirt or making sure you don't trip in your high-heels.

Also, I try not to look at the people, stare at the wall across from you, or just let your gaze drift over the audience not letting it settle on a certain person or staying long enough for you to see their facial expressions.

When you stumble don't get flustered you'll just mess up more often. Take a deep breath and steady yourself. Make sure you practice and read your speech over and over Out Loud (super important)

I wish you good luck and hope it goes well!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:14 pm
Well for theater, we do warm up to lose the nerves that me might have ( it helps a lot ) Get the energy flowing evenly through the body. So maybe you might was to walk a lot around the school or run if you have pe or something xD * I am sometimes nervous to talk in public but it's something to get used to for myself.
2. Another thing you can do is focus on one person like a teacher or friend ( just make sure it's in the enter or something because for sure you can tell you are afraid xD
3. Just remember everyone is just like you, the 2 most common things people are afraid of is getting up in front of people and death. It's just something that needs to get over with.
4. you can practice what you are going to say. :]
Make sure you drink water before presenting and go for it ^^
Remembering things can help and also read what you are going to say out loud that way you know how it's going to sound and look.
you can do it ^^ you are in control <3
Good luck ^^

pure as snow

Fashionable Fairy

Emily_4_ever

Hot Nerd

11,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Hunter 50
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:49 am
Cyanide Saliva
I have a presentation to do this upcoming Friday on Sylvia Plath. I have to teach my class about her (short) life, how it influenced her work, read two of her poems aloud, interpret them, and have a visual of one of said poems.

My problem is I have a huge fear of talking in front of people. I just can't do it. My mouth gets all dry, my face goes red, I forget everything and I stutter. I have huge anxiety problems, and I can't get out of presenting.

My question is what's the best way to get over this fear while I'm in front of the class? Are there any techniques to it? Please share.

Hehe I completely understand how you feel but honestly there is absolutely no reason to be scared. I mean the students are your classmates and most of them your friends! It's not someone who's gonna judge you or anything!
I'm having an interview next week for a university in England and, trust me, it's a worse than your case, because the interviewers will immediately know if I say something wrong. In your case however nobody will no about Sylvia Plath, so even if you say sth that u are unsure of nobody will notice! wink So just be cool and have fun!
I mean you are going to teach THEM! You're the boss! wink And think of it that way: It's the same as when you raise your hand and speak in front of everyone! Except for the fact that you stand up. I mean what's the difference? wink
Hmmm, I think if I were you, I would look only at my best friend while talking. I think this will relax you more and she will make you feel better. You can also practice with her if you want. Or present it to someone of your family, just to feel better.
Honestly don't worry, nobody will judge you. Everything is going to be great! smile (You gotta trust me: I'm the most stressed person in the world!)  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:03 am
Try getting a few family members or friends as audience.
And you speak in front of them as practise.

This public speak thing needs lots practise and experience.
The more times you stand in front of others, the speak get smoother.

Like others above said, try imagine all the class as one of your friend and focus on him/her.

Good luck in the presentation. heart You can do it well. 3nodding

Gurotsuki

Scurvy Winner

29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas