Acana/Orijen

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:58 pm
So Champion Pet Foods are coming to my store next month to do a seminar on their food. Is it weird that I'm TOTALLY ANXIOUS for this???

Acana is my favorite food. Yet, if you mention Orijen (kind of what I like about Acana is that they have no idea what it is or that it's related to Orijen) to any of the vets around here, they totally freak out. So I'm not sure what to ask them, or what to expect.

So if you can think of any questions you have for the company, let me know. Cause I want to make the most of this seminar.

Also, I totally saw in their brochure they are coming out with a limited ingredient diet YYAAYY.

why do I want to be a tech again? I seem to enjoy retail a lot more lately. Especially this store. I have the freedom of being allowed to have my own opinion. I'm not asked to push one food any more than the others. I'm allowed to give advice and not just say " I'll ask the vet" I think it's going to be very weird working at a clinic and in a holistic pet food store. Imagine a client comes to my clinic and I am forced to tell them not to feed the very food I recommended to them? There's going to be major conflict at some point.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:17 pm
Ask if they have any plans for wet options or treats.

I know they have a couple varieties of Acana coming out soon (supposed to be within this month - I heard rumor that one is supposed to have something to do with bird), but perhaps ask if they have plans for more within the next year (especially something with lamb in the grain-free; I think the lamb and apple is my girls' favourite)

~ Aki - Fairy ~

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:00 am
~ Aki - Fairy ~

I know they have a couple varieties of Acana coming out soon (supposed to be within this month - I heard rumor that one is supposed to have something to do with bird), but perhaps ask if they have plans for more within the next year (especially something with lamb in the grain-free; I think the lamb and apple is my girls' favourite)

I will ask, though on their site they state the reason they don't do wet is because they make everything in their OWN facility and canning is a bit more complicated and if they just let someone else can for them they'd be like every other pet food company.

They DO have a game bird flavour coming out I THINK within the next month or two. And they do have a grainless lamb it's called grasslands. That's one of Cowboy's favorites. I'm totally sicked about the limited ingredient diets, I saw one will be duck. This gives me more options to suggest to customers with allergies. I use to just go straight for natural balance but I think Acana is better quality.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:31 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
~ Aki - Fairy ~

I will ask, though on their site they state the reason they don't do wet is because they make everything in their OWN facility and canning is a bit more complicated and if they just let someone else can for them they'd be like every other pet food company.

They DO have a game bird flavour coming out I THINK within the next month or two. And they do have a grainless lamb it's called grasslands. That's one of Cowboy's favorites. I'm totally sicked about the limited ingredient diets, I saw one will be duck. This gives me more options to suggest to customers with allergies. I use to just go straight for natural balance but I think Acana is better quality.

If they get enough interest in people wanting to feed wet, perhaps they'll consider expanding their facility... wouldn't hurt to try and get it out of them if they have any possible plans for such.

My girls aren't all that interested in the Grasslands (I didn't even think about it being lamb)... I think on account of the fish, as they're not all that interested in Pacifica, either.
I'd just heard from my sister-in-law who heard from somebody else that when she was doing the order she saw a couple new flavours listed and could only remember that one had to do with bird. My guess was on something like duck, just on account of they already have chicken and turkey's not such a big deal in the pet food world, it seems.

~ Aki - Fairy ~

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:07 am
I'm going to try out Acana soon.

My cats didn't really liked Orijen.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:04 pm
@Aki, ya the grasslands has fish in it, but most of their diets do. And they have a duck flavor coming which is the LID but they also have a game bird diet, which I think might be part of their grainless collection. It would be something like quail or pheasant, probably something which will also be good for allergy sufferers on account of it being a novelty protein. I know they have a demand for wet food. Considering that an all dry diet is not recommended for cats, my cat is on 100% wet food which means I can't feed him any Acana. But I do hope it's something they're looking into.

@Funklepuss, which flavor Orijen did they try?  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:15 am
I can't wait to find out more! Bandit and Charcoal are on Orijen and love it! I add water to Charcoal's so hydration doesn't become an issue.

I too want to know if they plan on making treats and wet food. Right now, Bandit and Charcoal get Wellness's grainless lines of treats.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:12 am
Ask about wet pouches? I would think the process might be a bit easier than canning.  

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:44 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
@Aki, ya the grasslands has fish in it, but most of their diets do. And they have a duck flavor coming which is the LID but they also have a game bird diet, which I think might be part of their grainless collection. It would be something like quail or pheasant, probably something which will also be good for allergy sufferers on account of it being a novelty protein. I know they have a demand for wet food. Considering that an all dry diet is not recommended for cats, my cat is on 100% wet food which means I can't feed him any Acana. But I do hope it's something they're looking into.

@Funklepuss, which flavor Orijen did they try?

Chicken.
They also have fish flavor, but I'm afraid they won't like that either. . - .  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games