Welcome to Gaia! ::

Oh My Gold! Polls, Contests, Give-a-ways & More!

Back to Guilds

This Guild consists of Polls, Contests, Events, Giveeaways and much more! 

Tags: Conversation, Polls, SonZack, Contests, Friends 

Reply Oh My Gold! Main Forum
Bullying Project. Need your help.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

wiccan_sk8er

Dapper Businessman

8,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:51 pm
Hey everyone..
I'm making a tribute/montage about bullying..
A couple friends of mine have made It Gets Better/Bullying videos on youtube,
and I want to make a video with clips of these..
But I need a lot of people!
If anyone's interested, please post a video response to my video,
here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1QbR3VWec8

I want to show diversity, and I want to show that there's so many people in the world standing together against bullying :]

Thanks! smile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:43 pm
To be perfectly honest... You think a Youtube video will do anything?
I suppose, "every bit counts", but really, it's a feel-good battle. You can't expect to stop any sort of bullying without being fully aware of individual cirumstances. To generalize in such a way as the videos I see so often, and to actually expect them to have any effect, to be quite blunt is sickening and dehumanizing.
Your process is undermining similar exercises in futility on the opposite end of the spectrum, that are in turn chipping away at the foundation of yours.

As long as there remains any weakness or close-mindedness, there will always be predators, and they will always have targets. You might think that close-mindedness is something to be regarded with disdain, but if anyone who's that thought is a fraction as open-minded as they'd like to think they are, they'd realize the inherent hypocracy of that thought.

To put things simply, making your videos is a gamble. If you win, You lessen effects of bullying unfathomably minimally, and what is lost is quickly regained. If you lose, then nothing happens.
If you honestly want to have any effect at all, focus your efforts. Take cases individually. Personally, I'd make a video explaining this, and asking people to send in requests, then I'd do what I could to help those people one by one.

It's certainly better to fight a war with an advantage in manpower. You are the one hundred against tens of thousands, you will not win, period, and any damage you cause can be repaired with ease. Send those same one hundred to fight the tens of thousands, but against one at a time, and while small you will actually begin to see some results.  

Elektro7

Devout Poster

8,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Mark Twain 100

wiccan_sk8er

Dapper Businessman

8,550 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:53 pm
Elektro7
To be perfectly honest... You think a Youtube video will do anything?
I suppose, "every bit counts", but really, it's a feel-good battle. You can't expect to stop any sort of bullying without being fully aware of individual cirumstances. To generalize in such a way as the videos I see so often, and to actually expect them to have any effect, to be quite blunt is sickening and dehumanizing.
Your process is undermining similar exercises in futility on the opposite end of the spectrum, that are in turn chipping away at the foundation of yours.

As long as there remains any weakness or close-mindedness, there will always be predators, and they will always have targets. You might think that close-mindedness is something to be regarded with disdain, but if anyone who's that thought is a fraction as open-minded as they'd like to think they are, they'd realize the inherent hypocracy of that thought.

To put things simply, making your videos is a gamble. If you win, You lessen effects of bullying unfathomably minimally, and what is lost is quickly regained. If you lose, then nothing happens.
If you honestly want to have any effect at all, focus your efforts. Take cases individually. Personally, I'd make a video explaining this, and asking people to send in requests, then I'd do what I could to help those people one by one.

It's certainly better to fight a war with an advantage in manpower. You are the one hundred against tens of thousands, you will not win, period, and any damage you cause can be repaired with ease. Send those same one hundred to fight the tens of thousands, but against one at a time, and while small you will actually begin to see some results.

Actually, my main goal for this video isn't to "stop bullying"
I really don't think one little video is going to magically get rid of bullying all across the world.. Yes, in the long run, it's my contribution to end bullying, but not in a direct way.

And like I said, it's a project.. It's my way of showing to so many people who are bullied that there are people out there who care. That's why I'm having dozens of people in my video.. To show the world that we care, and that we will be heard. That is the main goal of my video..
It's good for people to know that you care.
Imagine if no one in the world made a video about this, or even spoke about it.. Then i'm sure bullying would be an even bigger problem than it is now.
Every little bit counts like you said.
But thank you for your opinion.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:02 am
I actually think it's a great idea. 3nodding
The school I go to is rampant with bullying. And still, no one does crap. emotion_facepalm
I think, though, that there needs to be a thread or website that posts all the kids' names that committed suicide due to bullying. I think a lot of people would be surprised.  

ArtemisPhoenix94

7,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Befriended 100
  • Heckler 50

Deletexcxcxc

4,025 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Market Browser 100
  • Junior Trader 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:27 pm
i dont mind sharing...when i was in my first year of school i got bullied and hurt so much that i had to get 2 years of home schooling cause i was too scared to go back to school... :/ they use to take my lunch money because if i dint give it to them they would bother me all day and push me around..
Im pretty happy that people dont mess with me anymore though smile

Oh My Gold! Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff