Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Ugh parents(food related but wih good news)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Animelover955

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:12 pm
Ok so this is some what of a mini rantish involving Boman and dog food. So since the day we brought him home Bo ate crappy dog foodand primarily wet food. They used to get like 0 dry and it was just as well because when we did get the dry food they wouldn't touch it,but after learning a bit about dog foods from the boxer forum I belong to I set out to change the dogs diet. Cept at the time the only dog I could afford was Abby since I had no job and was feeding wellness CORE. At any rate Abby was switched last year and I finally convinced my dad to let me switch Bo after I found a cheaper still high quality brand of food(TOTW) . Well he's been on it for months now and improved leaps and bounds including the clearing up of his food related allergies.

Anyways they've improved so much and guess what my dad goes and does after I've been buying/feeding them the good quality stuff for months now?

He goes out and starts buying cases of Alpo. The dogs don't need it and it's screwing up their digestion and Bo is having loose stools like no other. Hell even his paw chewing has come back. I refuse to let him feed it to Abby since she is "my" dog and he won't give it to her at least that I'm aware of, but Bo's getting it and ugh he's just not doing great with the allergies coming back and the fact that going from such a high quality food to crap is screwing with his digestion and causing some really loose stools not to mention terrible gas.

Poor dog is chewing his paws raw and guess what tonight my mom noticed it after weeks of him gnawing on it and well I think I might have finally gotten the word across to my dad. I just started talking about allergies and that it's being caused by the grains in the alpo(he's allergic to the grains) and well I think I made my point by brining up that after I switched him to what's by was eating his symptoms cleared right up. So hopefully he'll finally stop buying it and mister man will be back to normal

But ugh I just wish my parents would let me deal with the dog food.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:34 am
I hope he realizes what that crap is doing to Bo, if not I would sit him down and really point it out. There's nothing wrong with can food, if he really wants to treat the dogs to it, get some TOTW cans. Just make sure Bo gets something to chew on after or brush his teeth after. Rascal eats 100% can food and his teeth are actually getting better with the plaque off product. I treat Cowboy to can food often because it's 82% water which is good for keeping weight off and good for hydration on days that he works. Some of my favorite brands for CAN food are

Weleda, their stuff is like stew, with big chucks of meat and peas, I almost want to heat it up on the stove and eat it myself. And it's 87% moisture so it's great for the cat too since his urine was a lil too concentrated last time I tested it.

Kiwi Pure, this stuff if amazing, it contains coenzyme Q10 which is starting to become popular in health stores as a general cure all suppliment. It's basically involved in the energy of all your cells. It also has green lipped mussles, and while I can't find any studies on it online, the Medical rep boastes for like an hour about how amazing it is for arthritis, even better than fish oil, and since Rascal has been on it, his kidney values dropped an insane amount. And it was such a pleasure to NOT switch the science diet like I was told, and then shove those values in their face!

I like Wellness as a can food as well, their cans are much better than their dry.

Merrick whole earth farm are LESS expensive than their regular cans but I can't imagine why and I like those ones, the other merrick's are not bad either, I mean they contain some things like canola oil, that I normally don't care to see, but it's not a BAD ingredient, I just prefer to see fish oil high in the list.

Tripe is also a great thing to treat the dogs too. It's very high protein, so I just suppliment with it once a week.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces