Welcome to Gaia! ::

It's A Girl Thing! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Family, A Home. 

Tags: Linkin Park, Contests, Hangout, Role Playing, Twilight 

Reply 16. ✿ - - - Food, Cooking & Baking
I Am an avid food network fan...but cooking..

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Just Follow the recipe!
  Do not ad lib or substitute
  Follow the recipe
View Results

Pseudoyoyomi

Sparkly Demigod

14,775 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Love Machine 150
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:16 pm
Hello all,
I am 22 years of age...and I quite enjoy food network and the cooking channel. But Cooking does not come easy to me. It seems like everything I cook ends up burnt or tasteless. My parents,grandparents and my siblings are all afraid to eat anything I cook.I made a meal once it was pepper steak with rice gravy and fresh onions and green peppers.My brothers only comments on the food were...it was edible.I feel like such a outcast because my boyfriend thinks my parents are like world class chefs. The food they can cook tastes just that great...but I feel like the cooking skills have skipped a generation with me. Am I doomed to a life of only cooking spaghetti and ramen noodle bowls?Any suggestions for easy things I could attempt to cook? All help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:26 pm
I'm an avid fan of cooking but Food Network. . . .

Honestly, with the exception of Alton Brown (Good Eats), I have decided that every cooking show on Food Network is crap and should never be attempted, especially anything by The Barefoot Contessa or Bobby Flay.

I'm a self taught cook since my mother's cooking is crap and my father doesn't cook at all. The main problem with my mother and sister (both terrible chefs) is that they are unwilling to experiment and practice and that my freind is the secret to becoming a good cook!

See, not all ovens and appliances are the same plus environment is a huge factor. For instance I have an old oven and live in soggy, swampy, humid central Florida so I have to make constant changes to recipes in order for them to be successful. Practice, practice, practice!

It also helps when you can watch someone who doesn't skip or leave out important details such as a steamy oven! When I was first making bread, I watched Food Network, I browsed Allrecipes.com, I read book after book and yet my breads dense, hard, and uneven, barely edible. Then I saw a video by a man called Chef John of Foodwishes.com who taught me how to do it the right way including the proper way to proof the yeast!

There is also a girl on YouTube called iloveflavor who has these amazing videos that are fun to watch! I've learned so much watching her too!

Give them a try:

iloveflavor's channel - My Favorite Gingerbread recipe.
Foodwishes.com - The First successful bread I made - His easy easy apple pie.  

xena91388

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Pseudoyoyomi

Sparkly Demigod

14,775 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Love Machine 150
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:59 pm
xena91388
I'm an avid fan of cooking but Food Network. . . .

Honestly, with the exception of Alton Brown (Good Eats), I have decided that every cooking show on Food Network is crap and should never be attempted, especially anything by The Barefoot Contessa or Bobby Flay.

I'm a self taught cook since my mother's cooking is crap and my father doesn't cook at all. The main problem with my mother and sister (both terrible chefs) is that they are unwilling to experiment and practice and that my freind is the secret to becoming a good cook!

See, not all ovens and appliances are the same plus environment is a huge factor. For instance I have an old oven and live in soggy, swampy, humid central Florida so I have to make constant changes to recipes in order for them to be successful. Practice, practice, practice!

It also helps when you can watch someone who doesn't skip or leave out important details such as a steamy oven! When I was first making bread, I watched Food Network, I browsed Allrecipes.com, I read book after book and yet my breads dense, hard, and uneven, barely edible. Then I saw a video by a man called Chef John of Foodwishes.com who taught me how to do it the right way including the proper way to proof the yeast!

There is also a girl on YouTube called iloveflavor who has these amazing videos that are fun to watch! I've learned so much watching her too!

Give them a try:

iloveflavor's channel - My Favorite Gingerbread recipe.
Foodwishes.com - The First successful bread I made - His easy easy apple pie.

I said the same thing about the Barefoot contessa. Her food is not down to earth and sometimes it looks nasty. I like Paula Deean and the Neelys because they remind me of my family in a way.My dad did tell me that I needed to try out things instead of automatically saying I could not do it before ever even trying.Just...I am scared. I don't like making mistakes it sends me into depression. But thanks I will go and check out the links.  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:29 am
I am not really sure what to tell you except practice and remember to taste your food while making it... also always keep an eye on it, do not get distracted by other things, that's when it gets burnt.... and I am sure your parents won't mind if you ask them for advice either (If I am unsure about how much I should stir in something or whatever, I ask my parents, and I mean I am 23, they really don't mind)

I myself have been helping in the kitchen since I was old enough to hold a vegetable knife without cutting my fingers off x'3
I just slowly learned how to do more and more of it myself, but I still cannot for the life of me remember how long an egg should be boiled x'3  

R0C0C0

High-functioning Lunatic

killer_kitten_of_doom

Sparkly Gekko

5,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:22 am
A couple of rules I live by in the kitchen:
1) Keep tasting sauces as you cook to get the seasoning right.
2) When frying or grilling something use a moderate heat (not the hottest setting) and turn regularly, it may take a little longer, but it's worth it.

Also don't try to do too much at once, roasting a chicken is one thing, but doing the full sunday lunch is something else entirely.

The real secret though, is practice, but stick to a small number of recipies to start with, then expandn your repetoire once you've got those nailed.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:06 am
I was taught the basics of cooking by my mother when I was about 12. My father taught me the secret to a crunchy coat of breading. I've been experimenting ever since then.

I can't stand the shows on the Food Network, except for Guy Fieri's "Diners Drive-Ins and Dives" and "Guy's Big Bite", and Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations".

If I hear Rachel Ray say "ee vee oh oh" or "yum-o!" one more time, I'm hitchhiking to the studio and strangling her with a rope of sausage links!  

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:18 am
Mortiferum Marionette
I just slowly learned how to do more and more of it myself, but I still cannot for the life of me remember how long an egg should be boiled x'3

Egg tips and tricks:

#1 Always start with cold water, especially if the egg just came out of the refrigerator.

#2 Use a pot big enough to leave some space between each egg, but not so big the boiling ends up knocking them into each other.

#3 Once the water starts to boil hard, turn the heat down to a simmer. Stoves and pots vary in efficiency so these times are not set in stone:

Hard-boiled: 10 to 12 minutes.

Medium-boiled (firm white, soft yolk): 6 to 8 minutes.

Soft-boiled: 3 to 5 minutes.

#4 Keep a bowl of ice and water handy. As soon as the time is up, take the eggs out of the pot with a slotted spoon and put them in the ice water 2 or 3 minutes to stop them from cooking any longer.

If you're planning on making deviled eggs, don't use fresh eggs! They will stick to the shell and come out all ragged. Save those for egg salad. Eggs that have been in the fridge a week or more are the best for this purpose.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:23 am
Gigi Deveraux
Mortiferum Marionette

Egg tips and tricks:

#1 Always start with cold water, especially if the egg just came out of the refrigerator.

#2 Use a pot big enough to leave some space between each egg, but not so big the boiling ends up knocking them into each other.

#3 Once the water starts to boil hard, turn the heat down to a simmer. Stoves and pots vary in efficiency so these times are not set in stone:

Hard-boiled: 10 to 12 minutes.

Medium-boiled (firm white, soft yolk): 6 to 8 minutes.

Soft-boiled: 3 to 5 minutes.

#4 Keep a bowl of ice and water handy. As soon as the time is up, take the eggs out of the pot with a slotted spoon and put them in the ice water 2 or 3 minutes to stop them from cooking any longer.

If you're planning on making deviled eggs, don't use fresh eggs! They will stick to the shell and come out all ragged. Save those for egg salad. Eggs that have been in the fridge a week or more are the best for this purpose.
I appreciate the help, but I actually did know most of this
as I stated, it's just how many minutes for an egg to boil I cannot remember
But still, thank you for helping  

R0C0C0

High-functioning Lunatic

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:32 am
Mortiferum Marionette
I appreciate the help, but I actually did know most of this
as I stated, it's just how many minutes for an egg to boil I cannot remember
But still, thank you for helping

You're welcome. 3nodding I also posted it for anyone else who might need the help.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:28 pm
Gigi Deveraux
I was taught the basics of cooking by my mother when I was about 12. My father taught me the secret to a crunchy coat of breading. I've been experimenting ever since then.

I can't stand the shows on the Food Network, except for Guy Fieri's "Diners Drive-Ins and Dives" and "Guy's Big Bite", and Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations".

If I hear Rachel Ray say "ee vee oh oh" or "yum-o!" one more time, I'm hitchhiking to the studio and strangling her with a rope of sausage links!

I don't like Rachel Ray not only does most of her food make me sick just by looking at it but the sound of her voice makes me want to stab her. I am so thankful her show no longer seems to appear on the food network.  

Pseudoyoyomi

Sparkly Demigod

14,775 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Love Machine 150
  • Flatterer 200

Angel_Candy me

Gracious Conversationalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:41 pm
Pseudoyoyomi
Hello all,
I am 22 years of age...and I quite enjoy food network and the cooking channel. But Cooking does not come easy to me. It seems like everything I cook ends up burnt or tasteless. My parents,grandparents and my siblings are all afraid to eat anything I cook.I made a meal once it was pepper steak with rice gravy and fresh onions and green peppers.My brothers only comments on the food were...it was edible.I feel like such a outcast because my boyfriend thinks my parents are like world class chefs. The food they can cook tastes just that great...but I feel like the cooking skills have skipped a generation with me. Am I doomed to a life of only cooking spaghetti and ramen noodle bowls?Any suggestions for easy things I could attempt to cook? All help is appreciated.

Here's the basics on cooking :

Know your temperatures - chicken, beef, pork etc. What temperature and how fast the meat should reach the temperture. Too low will not only add risk of food poisoning, but will dry out the meat. Too high, will also add risk of food poising and meat being undercooked in center. Do not keep flipping or turning the meat. This will cool it down as it is cooking and dry it out. Instead, cook each side the appropriate time for its temp and type.

Oil - cooking in oil will increase the temperature making the temperature hotter.

Moisture - water, wine, juice, citrus all of these can be added to increase the flavor of a dish. Remember it is to enhance, not take over the flavor. Too much moisture will change your dish from roasted to broiled. Make sure it isn't bathing in moisture unless this is your objective.

Know what seasonings do- Heat and Water/moisture brings out the flavor from a seasoning. That is why meat is marinated or cooked with seasoning. If you were using a $100 Safron seasoning you would want to use it to its best abilities. Do the same by getting the knowledge about each seasoning you will be using.

Consider this :
Take a few rose petals or some small branches from a pine tree. Observe their smell before you begin. NOW : Divide for 3 experiments into 3 piles. 1.Take the first and bruise them by breaking or crushing or hitting them. Smell them now. See how this brings out the qualities?
2. Boil a cup of water like you would for tea - add the items to the boiled water. Let it set for 4 minutes then observe the smell. Let is set for 6 minutes and observe the smell.

//note: Read how coffee is roasted, from light to dark, and how the flavors change for each level of the roasting. Seasonings do the same in cooking.

So Fro - This is the mix of onions used in a soup or at the begining of browning the meat. Every country has its own mix of So Fro.
Spain and Itally - Onion, garlic, bellpepper -salt/perpper
Asia - Garlic, onion, ginger -salt-pepper

Salt and Pepper :
Salt - Sea salt or Kosher or table salt are chosen for not only how they taste, but how they transform food as well. Salt will remove or pull moisture from the meat, so if it soaks too long in salt in a marinade it may change the effect of cooking you are trying to acheive.
Pepper - White or Black or other is chosen like a wine. White meat usually uses white pepper, Red meat uses black. Peppers can be very fine - even take on flavors of wood they are stored in and aid in the flavor for the purpose of the dish.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:51 pm
Angel_Candy me
Pseudoyoyomi
Hello all,

Here's the basics on cooking :

Know your temperatures - chicken, beef, pork etc. What temperature and how fast the meat should reach the temperture. Too low will not only add risk of food poisoning, but will dry out the meat. Too high, will also add risk of food poising and meat being undercooked in center. Do not keep flipping or turning the meat. This will cool it down as it is cooking and dry it out. Instead, cook each side the appropriate time for its temp and type.

Oil - cooking in oil will increase the temperature making the temperature hotter.

Moisture - water, wine, juice, citrus all of these can be added to increase the flavor of a dish. Remember it is to enhance, not take over the flavor. Too much moisture will change your dish from roasted to broiled. Make sure it isn't bathing in moisture unless this is your objective.

Know what seasonings do- Heat and Water/moisture brings out the flavor from a seasoning. That is why meat is marinated or cooked with seasoning. If you were using a $100 Safron seasoning you would want to use it to its best abilities. Do the same by getting the knowledge about each seasoning you will be using.

So Fro - This is the mix of onions used in a soup or at the begining of browning the meat. Every country has its own mix of So Fro.
Spain and Itally - Onion, garlic, bellpepper -salt/perpper
Asia - Garlic, onion, ginger -salt-pepper

Salt and Pepper :
Salt - Sea salt or Kosher or table salt are chosen for not only how they taste, but how they transform food as well. Salt will remove or pull moisture from the meat, so if it soaks too long in salt in a marinade it may change the effect of cooking you are trying to acheive.
Pepper - White or Black or other is chosen like a wine. White meat usually uses white pepper, Red meat uses black. Peppers can be very fine - even take on flavors of wood they are stored in and aid in the flavor for the purpose of the dish.

Thank you some of these things I got from food network. I think my problem just comes when I am applying everything.  

Pseudoyoyomi

Sparkly Demigod

14,775 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Love Machine 150
  • Flatterer 200

Angel_Candy me

Gracious Conversationalist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:02 pm
Pseudoyoyomi

Thank you some of these things I got from food network. I think my problem just comes when I am applying everything.

Keep it simple as you learn then. Some of the best food I have ever eaten has been a nice cut of meat just lightly seasoned. Salt and pepper basically. The meat itself has intense flavor that can be hidden under ingredients.

Have fun learning!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:20 pm
Pseudoyoyomi
Hello all,

Out of curiosity, what is your usual method of cooking?
Do you follow recipes exactly or improvise in any way? How long have you been cooking (did you just recently get into it, or have you been attempting it for years)?
When you get a recipe, do you write down the steps, or go by memory?
Also, do you take into consideration temperature differences when you use an oven? Sometimes that can make a world of difference.
(Sorry if you've already answered these to other people. I'll just go ahead and tell you my used method, because I tend to get compliments on my cooking. Hopefully I can help, even though I wouldn't consider myself an expert chef, lol.)

I use a lot of recipes because I'm a novice and don't know a lot about cooking on my own. But, whenever I go off a recipe, the meal turns out really tasty.
Because I'm inexperienced and love to cook, I do always follow the recipe down to the last word, if I can. Only after I become used to it more will I feel comfortable with altering things in the recipe. After a while I figure that I'll get more and more used to what kind of things go with what.
But for me, as a beginner, I find that it helps if I first follow the steps exactly, and only after a time can I cook a little more freestyle.
But I've found that following recipes has really helped me become a better cook. It's exposed me to a lot of new things, and each successful thing I make, makes me feel more confident and that I can tackle more complicated, tastier recipes.
My (hopefully not too bad) advice: start from the bottom and work your way up. smile
Take it with a grain of salt, though. XD Everyone's got a different method, a different way of learning. But I'm taking it from a logical point of view: if you're not good at something, it always seems to help to start at the beginning, or with the simplest steps, and slowly progress from there.
I've made a lot of mistakes when attempting new recipes (who hasn't?), but making mistakes are important, because it teaches you.

Ayniu

Fashionable Raider

9,300 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Object of Affection 150

Lashuri Chan

Generous Giver

10,600 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:44 pm
User Image

I love Food network! But if all your problem is tasteless and or burnt food then the solution seems easy. Just watch your food more and be sure to season and taste it.

16. ✿ - - - Food, Cooking & Baking

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games