Submit

…or is my dad being too harsh?
  Yes, he's being a hard a** and should lighten up
  No, you're just being an overly sensitive and emotional teenager
  I play the neutral card :/
View Results

Saia Kakaru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:21 am
I got into a car accident this past weekend (I rear ended someone), and ended up totaling my car. No one was hurt in the accident, and my car suffered more damage than the one I hit. After all of this, my dad feels like I should just catch the bus everywhere instead of driving again. Please note that this is not my first accident; I rear ended a lady three years ago, though no one was hurt and the only damage was to her car which looked like someone had punched it in.

However, I live "out of town", which means that there are only two or three bus routes that come within considerable distance to my house, and do not come very often (once every hour if I do not miss it). Also, my school (college really) is no where near my house, and I must leave early in the morning in order to beat the morning traffic. I have to wake up early enough just to drive to school, but if I were to catch the bus I'd have to leave well before sunrise, and the area the major transit station is in does not have a good reputation about it.

Also, if he were to let me drive again, he has certain restrictions. I may only drive to school, work, and dance class; nothing else. Having ferried my friends around in the past and present, he also feels that I must stop this. While I can see his point of view on this (less driving = less time spent on the road = lower chance of getting into an accident), I still feel like he's being too harsh. I know as a college student living at home, my freedom is going to be restricted, but still yet I do not like having to tell my dad every little thing I'm going to do that day. Not only that, but with Winter break around the corner my friends will be back in town and are going to want to hang out, along with my boyfriend.

So, my main question is this: Am I being overly sensitive and overreacting to a valid and reasonable solution/punishment for my car accident? Or is my dad just being a d**k and is the one who's overreacting? (Comments please)  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:39 am
Honestly I don't think either of you are overreacting. It's just a bad situation and he's trying to handle it the best way he can. Since this has happened before, he might be questioning how long you really need to be out on the road and that's why he wants to restrict you. Whether or not anyone was hurt, it can happen if you were to get into another accident, and your dad is probably taking all of this into thought. I'm not saying you're going to go out and crash into someone else next week or anything, but he needs to think as if it could happen.

If he's willing to let you drive again, I'd really take him up on his offer, restrictions or not. From what you said of the public transportation it doesn't exactly sound like a great idea. You'll probably get less sleep and it may affect your school work/job and the fact that you're probably putting yourself in danger being out at that time. You should bring that up to him when debating on what you're allowed to do.

For your friends, if you really want to hang out with them, will any of them be willing to drive you around? Does your boyfriend drive? I know it kind of sucks to be the one to ask to be driven around, but if you really want to be with them it sounds like that's the only option you have at this point unless you beg him for outings with them.

Also, I believe he's trying to make this punishment out to be a learning lesson. He's probably trying to get you to appreciate what you're allowed to do (I know if any of my friends got in just one accident, they would be allowed to drive anywhere BUT school, and that's only if bus schedules didn't work out). Honestly, driving really is a privilege and he probably sees you not taking it seriously, especially since this time around your car was completely wrecked. I'm not saying you don't take driving seriously, but from his point of view and two accidents on your belt, this may be his thought process.

Anyway I honestly hope he'll let you drive your car again. Public transportation is such a horrible thing to rely on, and the fact that you may be losing sleep/putting yourself in danger over trying to work around it makes it worse. Just bring up your safety and he'll probably come around.

Yokies

King Bear

64,350 Points
  • The Bears Are In 500
  • I Won the Titles the Titles are Mine! 500
  • Couple of Time 500
Life Issues Forum [[ You got a problem We can HELP]]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items