Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Serious Conversations
Rules of romance are too unfairly imbalanced. (never mind)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:56 am
[EDIT: Apparently this is not so much the standard anymore... good riddance.

EDITx2: I'm sorry everyone, I'm just so conditioned to seeing relationships portrayed or talked about that way. Those things are NOT what I desire. sad ]

They all seem to revolve around the man parting with his hard earned money to please some succubus who won't return the favor.

The man gives the woman expensive gifts. He gets food and a tie from her instead of equally expensive gifts.
The man pays for the woman's meal at an expensive restaurant, she never does the same for him.
It is far more common for a man to do expensive favors for a woman than for a woman to do so for a man.

Such a barbaric mating dance persists in an age that's supposed to be about gender equality.

I want no part in such rituals if I meet "the one" before I transition into a woman, and if I meet a man after transitioning and the hormones have given me an attraction to men that overlaps my attraction to women... I would not want to force something so barbaric on him.

People preach gender equality but the man is made to bust his a** to please the succubus while she is basically the fat kid sitting at the end of a candy conveyor belt. At least that is how I see it.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:58 am
I see no issue here. xd

Your point of view here covers an extremely broad topic and you've managed to narrow it down to a thinly sliced viewpoint. Each relationship is different due to individual people being involved who are unique and have to figure out what "works" for them.

I've seen relationships that are more "old fashioned and traditional" (for lack of a better term) that work perfectly fine and the people are happy in it. I've also seen relationships where the traditional roles are reversed and you have a "house dad" with Mom going to work at a high powered job. I've also seen families where both Mom and Dad have jobs and BOTH contribute financially. There are also same sex relationships and they have their own dynamics to work out too regarding what makes them happy and satisfied in their relationships.

In your example here, this "barbaric" relationship may be just the thing for both parties and they may be perfectly happy with it.

So I'm unsure what you are basing this opinion on and what you're experiencing. Stop watching reality TV.…it isn't real.  

Psyzapp
Crew

Ruthless Lover

10,250 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

damecharlie

Versatile Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:47 am
For mentioning gender equality, your poll options sure aren't equal and, really, are a bit sexist. neutral  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:14 am
Actually, that goes on both sides. People are that way, no matter what the gender. I think that being arm candy and slave to some one else's perfection that doesn't exist is another side to that coin. While I've seen relationships that do glorify God and each other the way that God intended, there are far too many people that want something for nothing and expect far to much from a relationship. Just be prepared for the reality of life. People aren't perfect. But they could treat the sanctity of a true relationship a little better. And each other. The fairy tale is what you make of it. Otherwise, you end up with a white knight made of tin, and a damsel in distress that is only distressful. lol And if you're looking for love and romance and 'the one and only', you're looking for the empty fairy tale. that one true love might slip away while you're not looking. And I've learned a long time ago that you can't expect a person to be anything other than what God made them. There is no excuse for bad manners though.
In God's hands, where it should be.  

Geeky User Name

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:21 am
I see. Well... if it's true that not all relationships give the woman priority... I guess there is hope.

I'll repost what I saw someone post though. (language warning)

Someone on Facebook
"If I make a girl wait five minutes, I'm an a*****e. If that same b***h disappears on me and pulls enough shnnanigans to turn a 30 minute errand into a two hour goose chase, I can't say anything? ******** that. And if the girl switches to vegitarian, the man has to switch as well; but if the man switches, she can eat whtever she wants? And lastly: How come only the mosty feminine, and least likely to survive femae cast members make it to the end of the movie alive? If a woman has any sort of muscle defnition that's not in the abs and actually acts like she suvived craz s**t, Hollywood deems her "too manly to live" an kills her. Give us some legitimtely strong femae characters, not these total psycho bitches you jus label as "strong and independant"."

Back to my words... I don't like how society is seemingly geared to please women even if it is at the connected man's expense.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:30 am
damecharlie
For mentioning gender equality, your poll options sure aren't equal and, really, are a bit sexist. neutral
Sorry... I was a bit upset when I thought of them.  

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:22 am
For our Facebook poster ~ Hollywood would be more aptly named Holly-WEIRD. Nothing is real there. As a woman, I don't appreciate a lot of the stereotypes that are pushed at us from the media giants in movies, TV, magazines, etc about how "normal" women and men are "expected" to look and act. No one can live to those standards.

And not all media is geared to men pleasing women at the man's expense ~ some of the music videos I've seen are just as likely to expect women to "Take care of the Man" while he lounges around telling her what to do... you know, cuz she's just a "Ho" and that's her job to take care of the "King". Get a job, clean the house, give me sex, I'm good here on the couch, beeyatch.

Most lasting relationships are neither of the above scenarios. Man/Woman, Woman/Woman, Man/Man ~ the ones I see working involve both partners compromising towards a common goal. Because they love each other. And a keen understanding, No One Is Perfect.

Of course, if we look for the stereotypes, then that's the only thing we're gonna see no matter how many not-the-stereotype people are presented to us.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:58 am
Lil Brat

True dat. Seriously, the fairy tail is a sham and nobody is perfect. Long lasting relationships are work and it takes both people to work at it. Communication is key along with listening and showing appreciation for the other person.  

JustinShowcase

6,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:19 pm
Lil Brat
For our Facebook poster ~ Hollywood would be more aptly named Holly-WEIRD. Nothing is real there. As a woman, I don't appreciate a lot of the stereotypes that are pushed at us from the media giants in movies, TV, magazines, etc about how "normal" women and men are "expected" to look and act. No one can live to those standards.

And not all media is geared to men pleasing women at the man's expense ~ some of the music videos I've seen are just as likely to expect women to "Take care of the Man" while he lounges around telling her what to do... you know, cuz she's just a "Ho" and that's her job to take care of the "King". Get a job, clean the house, give me sex, I'm good here on the couch, beeyatch.

Most lasting relationships are neither of the above scenarios. Man/Woman, Woman/Woman, Man/Man ~ the ones I see working involve both partners compromising towards a common goal. Because they love each other. And a keen understanding, No One Is Perfect.

Of course, if we look for the stereotypes, then that's the only thing we're gonna see no matter how many not-the-stereotype people are presented to us.
So what I described is all stereotypes? surprised  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:47 pm
Yes. What you described is all stereotypes. And as Psyzapp pointed out, while some relationships do still work in the manner of the man pleasing the woman, they end up that way because both partners -want- to have their relationship that way. If either partner is unhappy with that set up, obviously the relationship isn't going to last if they don't reach an understanding of how to do things differently.

Some women want to be taken care of while some men want to take care of women. It isn't that it's "barbaric"... they do so voluntarily. There's nothing barbaric about someone living their life the way they personally see fit.

Now, if you come across a woman who expects that when you're unwilling to provide it {and neither of you will compromise}, then she's obviously not the one for you and you should move on. It isn't that society as a whole expects you to do as she asks. It's just that one woman and maybe her sympathetic friends.

Everyone has different wants and expectations regarding relationships and it's when you find someone with similar ideas on how the relationship is going to work that you establish something lasting.

Edit: Also something I wanted to add... just because the woman isn't working doesn't mean she's sitting around doing nothing while the man busts his a**.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:50 pm
Rei: In my nearly 43 years of life, I have never seen a woman who got a man to treat her like a cherub, be her slave etc. I have seen men do it, was in a relationship with one who thought it was perfectly acceptable for me to work 2 minimum wage jobs, cook, clean, etc while he parked his a$$ on the sofa all day. He was too "good" to work for less than but it was on me to keep the house, work full-time, and satisfy his financial, physical, mental, and emotional needs on top of it. I am sure there are women who can get a man to babysit them by playing stupid, helpless etc. How irritating that is. But those women are not the majority any more than my lazy-arse ex is the standard for men.

All I said was: Classifying all women or all men with one set of characteristics is stereotyping and for those who want to reinforce the stereotype, they can never see people who don't play that role. Most real people I know, do not play that role.

Unfortunately, there are those out there who do play it. It's why we have stereotypes in the first place. People are just people ~ faults and all.

If you are in space to be angry with all women right now, then that's where you are, I accept you all the same. I just can't and won't agree that women are the root of all evil and men are poor innocent victims ~ takes two to tango.  
Serious Conversations

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games