Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Off-Topic
"You're a douche."

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

lgtenos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:14 pm
So I just received this comment a few moments ago for some odd reason.

Here's the thing...

If you're weak to NOT take criticism off the Internet, how in the hell are you going to handle it in real life? You can't imagine the S@%# I've been through. The Fire Department, U.S. Army, Krav Maga, LGBT events w/ Haters, bar fights, getting rejected over the simplest of things, and, to top it all off, a suicide attempt (please, no sympathy - I've had enough of it already). But do I complain? No. If anything, I've become stronger, physically, emotionally, and mentally.

Honestly, I'm not a douche. Anyone who knows me personally or would REALLY take the time to know me would understand I'm a very calm, collected, and mannered guy. I was actually voted "Friendliest" back in Grade School [-/irrelevant.humor]. I just don't take lightly to idiots who think everything's going to be handed to them with a silver spoon.

My advice: Butch up, because life is going to slap you in the face if you don't know how to roll with the punches; both literally and metaphorically.
___

Has anyone had a similar or related incident?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:57 pm
What prompted someone to call you a douche?  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:03 pm
I have mixed feelings as 1. I don't know the whole situation and 2. it can go both ways. You can tell them to toughen up but some people might say you need to soften up. Maybe it was how you came across.

What you say can be helpful but sometimes how people say it can come off as rude.

I personally think there needs to be a balance, not too tough/cold/thick skinned but not too soft/overly sensitive.

All I can say is if someone literally punches me, I would hit or kick them back. neutral  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:15 pm
Taeryyn
What prompted someone to call you a douche?

I simply said "I think you should break up with him. He obviously doesn't respect you enough to acknowledge everything nice you do. Trust me, you're better off without this guy."  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

Stars Flying

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:19 pm
^Well, then I wonder why the person was asking for advice in the first place...  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:50 pm
I don't see how your comment would make someone call you a douche. It's blunt, maybe, but not even harsh. To me, a "douche" is an arrogant, attention-loving p***k; someone who is insensitive, harsh, or lacking tact is more of a jerk or an a*****e.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:59 am
lgtenos

If you're weak to NOT take criticism off the Internet, how in the hell are you going to handle it in real life?

This makes me think of a thread in SF I was debating in, asking to have the
The person that called you that didn't want to hear what you had to say. Perhaps they're in denial about their relationship or there's some funky abuse mentality going on. Or it could be that the person is so stupidly in love, they take offense at anyone almost insulting him.

I agree with Taeyyn, it is blunt. And if your comment was on Gaia, well, Gaians don't handle blunt well most of the time. I'd know. I wear blunt like a jacket usually.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:30 am
Stars Flying

Right. They were just sobbing and whining about how crappy their relationship was. All I did was tell them the truth: If it's not working, end it - simple. Guess they just didn't want to let go and saw my advice as an "attack."  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:10 am
lgtenos
Stars Flying

Right. They were just sobbing and whining about how crappy their relationship was. All I did was tell them the truth: If it's not working, end it - simple. Guess they just didn't want to let go and saw my advice as an "attack."

What I have learned over the past year or so is that people hate the truth. Seriously, you can bring up a problem in the nicest way possible and even offer to help but they end up hating you.

I lost more friends and pissed off more people by being honest. Sorry, but the truth isn't always pleasant but it can help to fix problems so people can become happier or improve in some area.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:22 pm
Lady Kayura
lgtenos

If you're weak to NOT take criticism off the Internet, how in the hell are you going to handle it in real life?

This makes me think of a thread in SF I was debating in, asking to have the
The person that called you that didn't want to hear what you had to say. Perhaps they're in denial about their relationship or there's some funky abuse mentality going on. Or it could be that the person is so stupidly in love, they take offense at anyone almost insulting him.

I agree with Taeyyn, it is blunt. And if your comment was on Gaia, well, Gaians don't handle blunt well most of the time. I'd know. I wear blunt like a jacket usually.

I saw that thread, and I just feel the need to say this:

Clearly if someone gets a few down-votes on a thread on Gaia, they may feel fleeting sadness and give in to their horrible angst and quit school and give up drawing shitty couples art and leave Gaia and never get into art school and never paint a masterpiece that would be so beautiful that it would move world leaders to tears and prevent WWIII AND they might get depressed and kill a puppy.

WHY WON'T YOU THINK OF THE PUPPIES, KAYURA?

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

BogiePop

Shameless Smoker

13,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:43 pm
most people just like to b***h and moan not really looking for advice or help and will lash out out you for bring another point of view when all the want is a pity party, ******** them ppl, with two fists.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:11 pm
BogiePop

Whoa now~  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:46 pm
Playboy Karasu Uchiha
I have mixed feelings as 1. I don't know the whole situation and 2. it can go both ways. You can tell them to toughen up but some people might say you need to soften up. Maybe it was how you came across.

I'd agree with this- if someone is already hurting, being blunt can feel like kicking them when they're down.

Sometimes you have to be direct- like if they're just not getting it, but it's usually better to start off with the gloves on.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:45 am
Whoa wheres the fire?
igtenos I feel you. This dude sounds sensitive and way too insecure. When you run into negative reply like that just say "'You're welcome", put a smiley face on the end of that note and push it aside! =)) You're right, nobody knows you the way you do so don't take any bull personal. People will be people so let it slide or else ur gonna dwell on this bad incident and end up with an ugly habit of taking every other bad episode too seriously. you don't have time to be wasting time on small things like this, you're a good person, you already know you're a good person, and you don't have to prove this to anyone else.

Just laugh it off and show them your troll face lol. *hugs*  

Omiewashere

Off-Topic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces