Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Thank You American Govt For ******** Us All

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NOT
  AMUSED
View Results

La Bijou

Swashbuckling Wench

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:23 am
LISTEN

Freedom of speech has just been revoked.
SOPA and PIPA must not be allowed to pass.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:39 am
Makes me glad i dont live in america...though i would hate to see what happens to Gaia if that goes through >_<  

angelfromdown-under

Romantic Whisperer

Kosai Avonej

Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:56 pm
Read about NDAA which was signed into law by the President himself on December 31st 2011.

To sum it up in a nut shell, it's like a souped up Patriot Act. It lets the military imprison and detain American Citizens without a trial or a due justice. How would you be taken into custody under this? Suspicion of being a terrorist, possibly reading Al-Qaeda doctrine. The list goes on. Your county has just tossed the bill of rights out the window.

As for SOPA, it might not pass. The corporate support which brought it about is waning.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:29 pm
Kosai Avonej
Read about NDAA which was signed into law by the President himself on December 31st 2011.

To sum it up in a nut shell, it's like a souped up Patriot Act. It lets the military imprison and detain American Citizens without a trial or a due justice. How would you be taken into custody under this? Suspicion of being a terrorist, possibly reading Al-Qaeda doctrine. The list goes on. Your county has just tossed the bill of rights out the window.

As for SOPA, it might not pass. The corporate support which brought it about is waning.
More reason I'm glad I'm moving out of this country.  

La Bijou

Swashbuckling Wench

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:23 pm
There has apparently been talk of several major websites such as Google and Wikipedia shutting down their websites on the same day for 24 hours to protest SOPA by showing everyone what SOPA could mean.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:30 am
Let's not kid ourselves, people. If this gets introduced in America, it's only a matter of time before it becomes the standard for the world. Australia would absolutely follow suit, for starters, as our government kisses's America's arse, and we already have media censorship.  

de.Lici.ous
Crew

angelfromdown-under

Romantic Whisperer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:47 pm
de.Lici.ous
Let's not kid ourselves, people. If this gets introduced in America, it's only a matter of time before it becomes the standard for the world. Australia would absolutely follow suit, for starters, as our government kisses's America's arse, and we already have media censorship.

Well this is true...we would follow within a month >_<  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:59 pm
It’s funny though, the whole term ‘freedom of speech’ in that people over here like to use it as a defence when it isn’t actually relevant to us.

Had to do a presentation on the whole internet censorship thing a few years ago, and most people used ‘we have a right to freedom of speech!’ as their defence, when actually, in Australia, we don’t. We have a different term (funnily enough, one that comes under the migration and immigration sector) that comes closest, which states that we should be allowed a certain level of equality when it comes to the access of information. This just reminded me of that. People get confused and... yeah.

Australia is sort of a lap-dog, though, which is depressing.

diffun

Melodic_Madness

8,450 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:44 pm
Ok, s**t on our internet too, why don't ya?
Our economy is still pretty ******** up, gas is a consistent yo-yo with prices, laws are flying off the books for god knows what, people are murdering mothers whose bodies are being found on Christmas, homeless people are eating garbage and living on the streets, and what do we do?
We ******** up the internet.
rolleyes  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:48 pm
They've been sneaking Americans off and torturing them without lawyers/miranda-rights/etc for years. If it's out in the open, at least it's out in the open. =_=

BUT THEY SHALL NOT TOUCH OUR INTERNETS. scream  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Nexus Carbuncle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:30 am
So, yeah...How about those times when Lincoln, Roosevelt, and Wilson did this? Like, seriously. Lincoln arrested people without habeas corpus during the Civil War and locked them up indefinitely, for threats to the Union. For real.

And then saying more than you should about WWI got you locked up under Wilson.

And how about all those Japanese interred in camps during WWII?

Or let's go back to the days of the Revolutionary War when the Alien and Sedition acts said that you could be sent back to England/France/wherever if you did "seditious" things against the young America, without defining what this meant.

I mean, seriously, ******** NDAA. It's a travesty of a law in a country that prides itself as "The Land of the Free," and it should have never passed (which it would have, whether or not Obama signed it, for the record), but seriously. It's not like this is unprecedented. It's happened before, and I really have no idea why people are so shocked that the US Government can and is doing this right now. They've ALWAYS had the right to do this, and they've always exercised it.
O.o

edit: SOPA, on the other hand...Yeah...There's no excuse for that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:27 pm
I'm slightly wondering how history books are going to portray this time period.

THE TIME WHEN THE U.S. WAS ******** s**t UP.  

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PainfullyVivid
Captain

Familiar Lover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:26 am
SOPA has apparently been effectively killed.

Now there's just PIPA.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:58 am
This is all just a first stage to internet censorship really, the next step would allow them to arrest people quinessentially flaming or bashing political candidates or exposing loopholes in political doctrine in the US ( See Anti-Communism circa 50's, 60's,70's and 80's ) allowing them to imprison naysayers who are critical of the government. Why would they do that? Well political parties are not very happy that in this past year due to the internet several scandals about their party members came out, they don't really like it when they are caught contradicting their self-rightousness and proposed pious lifestyles.  

Kosai Avonej

Elder

comfylove
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:25 am
I think with big-name sites going on protest, that there is no way this will pass.

I mean there was basically no way SOPA would pass in the first place considering it is so stupid.  
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games