Submit

Liisukas

Invisible Raccoon

48,675 Points
  • Alchemy Level 7 100
  • Brilliant Light 450
  • Who's The Boss Now? 300
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:37 am
Here's the thing, my essays in literature have always been ''5'' or ''4'', rarely ''3'' and never any ''2''s, but now I've gotten like two ''2''s in a row. Like what the hell D: I'm like in shock, I know my last essays haven't been as good as they used to, but I don't think they have been that bad stare
Or maybe there's something wrong with my teacher? O.o ..

So, girls, what do you think about this situation? , Is it really possible that my writing skill has gone down so much, or do you think that something is up with my teacher?

(I live in Estonia, we're being graded on the scale from 1 to 5, 5 being the best and 1 the worst, also I'm in high school if you were wondering about that or something. And last but not least, English is not my mother tongue wink )

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:29 am
There could be a few reasons why this has happened to you. First, have you been able to practice your writing skills (formally) prior to the class?
If you do not use a skill, you tend to lose it after a while, though, picking it back up should not be very hard.

Your teacher is the next reason. I think that her expectations may be higher than you are used to. That does not mean you are not a great writer in your country, it means that you are not up to his/her standards. That happens a lot in higher education.

Then, there is the grading scale. What exactly is being graded?

From what you have written, I'd say you have a very good grasp of the English language in written form and English is my first language.  

buckwolvhoosier

Liisukas

Invisible Raccoon

48,675 Points
  • Alchemy Level 7 100
  • Brilliant Light 450
  • Who's The Boss Now? 300
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:54 am
buckwolvhoosier
There could be a few reasons why this has happened to you. First, have you been able to practice your writing skills (formally) prior to the class?
If you do not use a skill, you tend to lose it after a while, though, picking it back up should not be very hard.

Your teacher is the next reason. I think that her expectations may be higher than you are used to. That does not mean you are not a great writer in your country, it means that you are not up to his/her standards. That happens a lot in higher education.

Then, there is the grading scale. What exactly is being graded?

From what you have written, I'd say you have a very good grasp of the English language in written form and English is my first language.

I have written a little just for fun, but since we do different kinds of essays and other written papers and stuff pretty often, I don't think the skill could be lost due to a lack of writing . And its not like I have this class first time this year, I've had it for quite some time for now.

That might be true, since we do have an exam coming up next year, but still, it doesn't make sense. I've always been one of the best and now I'm the worst O.o

Oh my, what is graded? You can say everything in every essay, the structure of it, examples,punctuation marks,everything. And everything has always been fine, so yeah, weird O_O

Lol, thanks, it would be weird if I'd suck at it, I mean, I have been learning it for 8 years now lol I still make mistakes and stuff, but nothing too bad I think lol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:19 pm
Then I am not sure what to say. You could ask your teacher and find out what is making your grade go down. That way, you know what to work on specifically.
I have been learning the English language for 20 years and I am still not perfect. No one is, but I still make a lot of mistakes, even silly ones, and I am a very good writer according to my English/Composition teachers. I even entered in a writing contest. Still, I have a lot that I can improve upon.  

buckwolvhoosier

29. ✿ - - - School and Work

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff