Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Coming out-the significance

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shadow Ra Warrior

Unbeatable Tycoon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:45 am
Lately I been wondering about the signifance of coming out; I always heard that being G.L.B.T.Q. was a private matter; should be kept on the down low. So tell me, in your opinion, what does it mean to be "out" for you?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:03 am
Shadow Ra Warrior
Lately I been wondering about the signifance of coming out; I always heard that being G.L.B.T.Q. was a private matter; should be kept on the down low. So tell me, in your opinion, what does it mean to be "out" for you?

to me being out means that i can tell everyone who i am and let them know that im no differant than a strait person because love is what it is and it shouldnt matter who you love. comming out is a way to be open to the world and letting them know your here and proud to be who you are....but thats just my oppinion  

Flame Dashie

Unbeatable Entrepreneur

Shadow Ra Warrior

Unbeatable Tycoon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:45 am
scarrllett
Shadow Ra Warrior

to me being out means that i can tell everyone who i am and let them know that im no differant than a strait person because love is what it is and it shouldnt matter who you love. comming out is a way to be open to the world and letting them know your here and proud to be who you are....but thats just my oppinion

Thank you for your opinion; I hope more people would post but oh well.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:43 pm
To me it means that I can openly love whom I love and already know how the people around me will react, and that I can be myself around them and I'm not hiding anything from them and such. It's kind of hard to explain.  

Sarah_L_Awesome

5,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200

gothicchibee

Shameless Flatterer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:54 pm
It means to me that I can be me no matter who I am around XD if that person doesn't like gays then that is their problem .... I am me and will never wavier because of that truth XD  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:07 pm
It means I can tell my greatest obstacle, my bully of a little brother.  

Kaze Espada

Dapper Conventioneer

7,950 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200

Flame Dashie

Unbeatable Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:02 am
Furthermore, being a lesbian is who i am i wan t to e noticed for me you like it your my friend you dont than ******** off. pick on me if you want ill kick your a** mrgreen i am who i am and you are who you are if they dont like that go away we are a natural part of the community and should be treated as such  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:30 am
I've never been the type to make my sexuality central to my existence and behavior. I'm a fairly introverted person, and my natural personality just doesn't really match the typical gay stereotypes.

With that being said, for me being 'out' just means that I can comfortably treat my romantic life the same way any straight person would, talking about it and acting on it in the same settings and with the same degree of normalcy that they would. In a lot of ways, being 'out' makes my gayness a smaller part of my personality. When I was in the closet, I built my entire focus and worldview around one big secret that needed to be kept. I spent most of my time thinking about it, and worrying about it, so it really came to define who I was. Now, I can just let it be there like the fact that I enjoy death metal or that I study philosophy: it's a part of my life and it matters, but it's not the all-consuming central focus.  

Purple Robot Queen

The Bodacious Soul Reaper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:36 pm
For me, to have "come out" means that, not that everyone accepts you because no matter what race, gender, sexuality, there will always be that one person. But I think it means that your loved ones and friends, and generally the people around you know who you truly are.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:55 am
For me, being out is to express who I really am without any restrictions to who I should go out with based on gender. As well as for the environment around me to get use to who I really am. The earlier, the better things are in the future.  

Pompette

MadHatterDA

Aged Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:11 pm
The Bodacious Soul Reaper
For me, to have "come out" means that, not that everyone accepts you because no matter what race, gender, sexuality, there will always be that one person. But I think it means that your loved ones and friends, and generally the people around you know who you truly are.

I agree with this one, because yet again coming from the bible belt acceptance is not something everyone here receives. I know for many here coming out is simply making it a general public thing of who you are.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:28 pm
It was always obvious to me that I was Bi. And I kinda forgot that it wasn't obvious to everyone else. So when I got a girlfriend my parents freaked out and i was horribly confused, like "You didn't know?" Owo?
But yea, for me coming out/ being out is I guess being open about your orientation. Like not trying to keep the fact that you like someone of the same gender on the down low, but treating it the same way a straight person would *shrugs* thats just what I've always done. Being bi was never weird/ abnormal to me, so I treat it like its not weird/ abnormal to everyone else.  

shares_stomach_acid

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:00 pm
Shadow Ra Warrior
So tell me, in your opinion, what does it mean to be "out" for you?

It's the same with Pride- there are so many unspoken assumptions about me. People assume my gender is one thing when it's not, people assume that because of my sex I love a certain kind of person.
Coming out is a stand- it's saying I'm who I am, not less than a straight cis person just because I'm not like them.

Everyday we're bombarded with cis heterosexual images and support for cis heterosexual relationships- that can feel really isolating. Coming out lets others see they're not alone.

It's a decision everyone has to make for themselves and I never advocate people coming out in unsafe situations.

This is a checklist of things that Straight People take for granted and here is a list of things cisgendered people take for granted- it's bad, but you have to know and remember this isn't anyone's fault. These are things we all have social blinders onto- but coming out, making people understand that we're normal and not "abnormal" just because we're a minority is really important when it comes to fighting for equality.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:35 pm
I really can't say because my mom found out around the same time I did. I guess it would help out if you decided to be in a long term relationship because you wouldn't have to force your significant other to lie to your parents and act like they're not playing a major role in your life  

WalrusCokeheadLizard

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff