Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Off-Topic
Komen, Planned Parenthood

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Just wondering
  I'm pro-choice.
  I'm pro-life.
  I'm neither, apathetic or just wanting to vote for gold.
View Results

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:08 am
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/04/health/policy/komen-breast-cancer-group-reverses-decision-that-cut-off-planned-parenthood.html

Don't know if anyone here was following it. Komen for the Cure, a breast cancer organization dropped funding for cancer screenings at Planned Parenthood, claiming it was because they're being investigated though many believe it's because Komen bowed to pro-life people.

There was a lot of backlash against the decision and now Komen's reversed the decision.

Things worth mentioning, Komen apparently didn't cut funding to Penn State despite them being under a federal investigation and has cut funding to several other people that are connected to embryonic stem cell research, cutting funds of $12 million dollars. This is despite apparently not being against embryonic stem cell research. So while Komen claimed their motives weren't political with Planned Parenthood, it certainly seems political to pretty much everyone I've spoke to.

I was wondering what the guild's thoughts on this were. Personally, I've lost a lot of respect for Komen. For an organization that claims they want to cure breast cancer and that they care about women, they certainly aren't acting like it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:17 am
How dare they drop funding for cancer screenings?! That's bullshit and now they want to refund it again?? BULLSHIT BEHIND THE SCENES!!  

Shadow Ra Warrior

Unbeatable Tycoon

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:19 am
Shadow Ra Warrior
How dare they drop funding for cancer screenings?! That's bullshit and now they want to refund it again?? BULLSHIT BEHIND THE SCENES!!

I find it ironic that the organization claims to care about preventing and curing cancer but stops funding PP where they screen for breast cancer. I really believe it goes back to PP being pro-choice. sad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:45 am
Lady Kayura
Shadow Ra Warrior

I find it ironic that the organization claims to care about preventing and curing cancer but stops funding PP where they screen for breast cancer. I really believe it goes back to PP being pro-choice. sad

I don't think it's pro-anything; it's just pitiful. Why stop funding the thing you are trying to cure; makes no sense!  

Shadow Ra Warrior

Unbeatable Tycoon

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:22 am
Shadow Ra Warrior
Why stop funding the thing you are trying to cure; makes no sense!

Because Planned Parenthood, if needed, can help one get an abortion. The new leaders at Komen are pro-life so they don't want to support PP despite the fact that the offer testing to low income women.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:30 am
yes, but the komen money is only used for the cancer screenings. ONLY the screenings.

and about the pro-life/pro-choice thing? heres my opinion.

theres a difference between a whore who cant keep her legs closed for more than five minutes and a teenage girl that was a victim of rape. the whore should have to live with that child, maybe being a mother would straighten her the ******** out. as for the rape victim, that should be her choice about whether she wants to keep the child or not, knowing that every day she would look at it and be reminded of what happened. especially if that rape victim is in her teens, particularly her EARLY teens, the pregnancy could not only ruin their lives, but could be potentially life threatening to the girls and the baby.

and heres a fact: 3/4 impregnated rape victims choose to either birth the baby and raise it, or give it up for adoption.  

RowenthaDark

Feline Avenger

17,050 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Married 100

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:47 am
LithiumXwolf
yes, but the komen money is only used for the cancer screenings. ONLY the screenings.

and about the pro-life/pro-choice thing? heres my opinion.

theres a difference between a whore who cant keep her legs closed for more than five minutes and a teenage girl that was a victim of rape. the whore should have to live with that child, maybe being a mother would straighten her the ******** out. as for the rape victim, that should be her choice about whether she wants to keep the child or not, knowing that every day she would look at it and be reminded of what happened. especially if that rape victim is in her teens, particularly her EARLY teens, the pregnancy could not only ruin their lives, but could be potentially life threatening to the girls and the baby.

and heres a fact: 3/4 impregnated rape victims choose to either birth the baby and raise it, or give it up for adoption.

Problem is the head honchos at Komen don't care that the money goes just toward the cancer screenings. And they don't seem to care how many women they've discovered having cancer and treated.

As for the stat, my sister knew a kid that was the result of his mother being raped. She raised him and had a happy family. Personally, if that ever happened to me, I'd want the option and not have some lawmaker tell me what I HAVE to do.

Off-Topic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games