Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Introduce Yourself Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dalgonlily9

Edgy Fairy

19,750 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Dig Dig Dig! 250
  • The Edgiest 250
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:28 am
smithers456
Dalgonlily9
smithers456

Hi Dalgonlilly. I think that it's really cool that you run an Anime / Gaming club. I can relate. What do you do in your group besides Cosplay?

Oh cool! We watch anime, play board, card, and video games, play mahjong, and have RPG campaigns biggrin Lots of stuff lol

It's nice to be able to get together with other people with similar interests. That's what this Guild is all about. A couple years ago it was very active.

Have you played D & D games the old fashioned way (Pen & Paper)? In real life since I was a kid my family and I have played a lot of board and card games. In this Guild we have an Anime RPG Sub Forum. I'm currently running one RPG by myself with multiple characters. It's a crossover RPG with our World, Sailor Moon series, and the xxxholic series.

It's called Miranda's Dream and it's posts are in a thread in the Anime RPG Sub Forum. The thread is called - Miranda's Dream - RPG Posts. I've been slowly adding posts to it for a while now. It's in a "Story" Format which is advanced for some people. Please read it and enjoy. If you haven't seen or read the xxxholic series it's well worth your while. If you have an interest in playing a RPG with me let me know. I can Role Play in other formats but I prefer the "Story" version.

I've played a few one-shots in person and that was pretty fun! Sounds cool! xxxHolic was a great anime (haven't read it yet though >.<). I'll check it out eventually, but I might take you up on that offer of joining an RPG sometime in the summer (gotta survive the rest of my college term first lol) Thanks!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:04 pm
Favorite anime: At the moment, FMAB, MHA, DBZ, and Goblin Slayer.
Hobbies: Playing around on net, cosplaying/cosmaking, reading (lately I've been reading my longest yet: Super Gene) and I tell myself I still play videogames, but I hardly do.
Favorite foods: Currently, a nice sweet seedless watermelon and crabmeat, but I think tuna sushi is really becoming my favorite now.
Weird things: I am currently studying computer science and this will be my fourth college degree. My twin bro already has five degrees, including two Master's. I am currently trying to sell my manga collection, which was at one point over 500 volumes! My room is a mess because I have all the tools, equipment and materials for cos-making, but no actual workshop... my room/bed is my current workshop, though I do my sewing and a few of my other things out in the living room/outside when I need a larger/more stable area. I do not collect Funkos, but I have around 15 of them. I keep getting them as presents. I have a small resin jewelry side business that I got into because of cosplay. Umm.... I have a hoodie that has a cowboy version of All Might and says Y'all Might. I've gotten a ridiculous number of comments on it and it was definitely worth the $40 I spent on it. It's also so soft on the inside.  

slapthefatcat2

Attacking Fatcat

27,050 Points
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Partygoer 500

SimplyASoftBoy

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:49 am
Hello all! My name is Joey I'm 23 years old. My bday is 11/22/97.

When someone tells me to pick my favorite anime the first ones that come to mind are Demon Slayer, Reincarnated as a Slime, Death Note, No Game No Life, and Say "I Love You".

And yes I'm a guy despite what my avatar may look like sometimes. I also crossdress IRL sometimes for certain events.

And here's something you might not get on here a lot. I'm a truck driver. I drive those big Semi trucks all throughout the US. I'm originally from South Carolina tho. If anyone wants to know any more about me don't hesitate to pm me or quote me smile  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:31 am
SimplyASoftBoy
Hello all! My name is Joey I'm 23 years old. My bday is 11/22/97.

When someone tells me to pick my favorite anime the first ones that come to mind are Demon Slayer, Reincarnated as a Slime, Death Note, No Game No Life, and Say "I Love You".

And yes I'm a guy despite what my avatar may look like sometimes. I also crossdress IRL sometimes for certain events.

And here's something you might not get on here a lot. I'm a truck driver. I drive those big Semi trucks all throughout the US. I'm originally from South Carolina tho. If anyone wants to know any more about me don't hesitate to pm me or quote me smile

Welcome to the Guild again. I think that it's cool that you are a truck driver. Somebody got to move things around. On this Guild we are into and making Cosplay, Crossplay, and Genderbender outfits. Just to let you know we have one Vice Captain who creates Crossplay Outfits (Mostly Final Fantasy), and the other Vice Captain she is extremely good at creating and producing tutorials for Cosplay outfits in general. Check out the Tutorial Sub Forum to see all of the threads that she has created.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:49 am
slapthefatcat2
Favorite anime: At the moment, FMAB, MHA, DBZ, and Goblin Slayer.
Hobbies: Playing around on net, cosplaying/cosmaking, reading (lately I've been reading my longest yet: Super Gene) and I tell myself I still play videogames, but I hardly do.
Favorite foods: Currently, a nice sweet seedless watermelon and crabmeat, but I think tuna sushi is really becoming my favorite now.
Weird things: I am currently studying computer science and this will be my fourth college degree. My twin bro already has five degrees, including two Master's. I am currently trying to sell my manga collection, which was at one point over 500 volumes! My room is a mess because I have all the tools, equipment and materials for cos-making, but no actual workshop... my room/bed is my current workshop, though I do my sewing and a few of my other things out in the living room/outside when I need a larger/more stable area. I do not collect Funkos, but I have around 15 of them. I keep getting them as presents. I have a small resin jewelry side business that I got into because of cosplay. Umm.... I have a hoodie that has a cowboy version of All Might and says Y'all Might. I've gotten a ridiculous number of comments on it and it was definitely worth the $40 I spent on it. It's also so soft on the inside.

Welcome to the Guild again. Thanks for posting. I did mean to respond to your intro sooner. Oh I'm on the other side of the spectrum, 57 years young!! I got too see some of the classic Anime as they came out. Especially Sailor Moon. I can tell that you are pretty busy. You definitely fit in as a Cosplayer. If you have any questions about making outfits let me know by message or start a thread in the Cosplay help Sub Forum. Also we have a lot of info on the Tutorial Sub Forum. My Vice Captains are experts in making outfits. I have other people help me with making outfits. I can't sew to save my life.  
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:04 am
SimplyASoftBoy

Welcome (I'm the tutorial VC)

I haven't done many crossplay tutorials yet, still pushing out tutorial pages as I go, but please give me some tips and tricks and if there is anything I can approve upon please tell me.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:08 am
slapthefatcat2

I don't know where you live, but if there is a Fred Meyer's with a sushi place in it, they have a really good spicy tuna. Not overly spicy, but totally yum.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:26 pm
Hi, I'm new to the guild! My name is Roxanne and I want to start making costumes for myself and my dolls (1 BJD and 1 Pullip). I don't have set sewing plans but I'm really interested in historical costuming at the moment. There might be a Disney or medieval princess costume in my future. 3nodding

Sadly, I've never cosplayed or made a costume. I took sewing lessons in 2007 with the idea of making purses and big poofy Renaissance dresses and then life took over and the next thing I knew, it was almost 2022. eek

I'm going with the saying, "Better late than never," and starting my sewing journey now, before another 14 years passes me by.  

Pastel Flower

Charmed Rabbit

19,450 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:38 am
Pastel Flower
Hi, I'm new to the guild! My name is Roxanne and I want to start making costumes for myself and my dolls (1 BJD and 1 Pullip). I don't have set sewing plans but I'm really interested in historical costuming at the moment. There might be a Disney or medieval princess costume in my future. 3nodding

Sadly, I've never cosplayed or made a costume. I took sewing lessons in 2007 with the idea of making purses and big poofy Renaissance dresses and then life took over and the next thing I knew, it was almost 2022. eek

I'm going with the saying, "Better late than never," and starting my sewing journey now, before another 14 years passes me by.

Hi Roxanne thanks for posting. If I haven't mentioned it before check out the many Cosplay Tutorials that Vice Captain Angelmage99 (Angel) has created on tne tutorial Sub Forum. Feel free to send a message to her with any questionss. Their are tutorials of not just Anime but other interests as well. You can start by getting material and patterns from stores like Michaels or Joann Fabrics. Also going to a Resale shop you can find outfits that could be altered. Halloween or custume shops can help as well.

Make sure that you pick a character that you like to start with. Drawings, photos of the same can help as well. Make sure you have fun. Yes it can be frustrating at first. Angel can help you figure out the basic tools etc to start with.

I'm a Cosplay Photographer and a guy in real life. I have taken hundreds of photos over the years. Watching the anime where the character is from can give you ideas of how the character acts. I do cosplay photography for fun and it shows in my photo's. Feel free to ask me any general questions about Cosplay. I can give you general tips especially about safety.

Here are my links if you want to check out my work:

https://www.facebook.com/Smithers456Photography
https://www.instagram.com/smithersphoto/
http://smithers456.deviantart.com/

I wish you luck on your Outfit Creation and we are here to help you.

Captain Smither456,
Ron / Chante  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:56 am
Pastel Flower

I hit the cosplay bug a little later (still in my 20s at the time) so I know how you feel.

Good news for you is that I do a bit of historical costuming on top of being a regular cosplayer. Please feel free to ask me questions. I don't have a big wardrobe yet on my historical clothing, but It's growing bit by bit.

What are your historical costuming plans? I may have a few pattern recommendations. I also work at Joann Fabrics (for the moment) so I can give plenty of tips.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

Pastel Flower

Charmed Rabbit

19,450 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:57 pm
smithers456

Hi Roxanne thanks for posting. If I haven't mentioned it before check out the many Cosplay Tutorials that Vice Captain Angelmage99 (Angel) has created on tne tutorial Sub Forum. Feel free to send a message to her with any questionss. Their are tutorials of not just Anime but other interests as well. You can start by getting material and patterns from stores like Michaels or Joann Fabrics. Also going to a Resale shop you can find outfits that could be altered. Halloween or custume shops can help as well.

Thanks, I saw your Deviant Art page and I can tell both you and the cosplayers have a lot of fun!

I have checked out the tutorials a little bit and browsed around the different guild sections. I was surprised to see Worbla and foam weapon mentioned years ago! I only found out about those last summer and now I feel like I've been living under a rock. rofl

angelmage99
What are your historical costuming plans? I may have a few pattern recommendations. I also work at Joann Fabrics (for the moment) so I can give plenty of tips.

For this year, I'd like to make a Renfest dress, a late Victorian corset, and a hat. And a million other things that I probably won't have time for. xp

For long-term goals, I'd like to make at least one complete and fairly historically accurate outfit from the Renaissance, Regency, and late Victorian/early Edwardian periods.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:10 pm
Pastel Flower
smithers456

Thanks, I saw your Deviant Art page and I can tell both you and the cosplayers have a lot of fun!

I have checked out the tutorials a little bit and browsed around the different guild sections. I was surprised to see Worbla and foam weapon mentioned years ago! I only found out about those last summer and now I feel like I've been living under a rock. rofl

angelmage99

For this year, I'd like to make a Renfest dress, a late Victorian corset, and a hat. And a million other things that I probably won't have time for. xp

For long-term goals, I'd like to make at least one complete and fairly historically accurate outfit from the Renaissance, Regency, and late Victorian/early Edwardian periods.

Angelmage is still busy researching for more info on Cosplay / Costume making. She is a true asset to the guild. I've been to a lot of Renaissance Festivals over the years and really Love them. Feel free to ask her anyquestions.

At an Anime / Cosplay Convention or Comic Con the Cosplayers tend to expect people to ask to take photos of them. As a rule, I don't even take my camera to a Renaissance Festival out of respect. Many people dressed up at them either are not interested in having their photo taken or get upset if asked. Basically, they see their outfit as dressing up for the festival and not Cosplaying a specific character. I wanted to let you know about that.

If you are dressed up in a renaissance period outfit and want a photoshoot done of you wearing it. I caution you not to do the photoshoot at a renaissance festival. The people that run it might make you leave. So if you want to do a photoshoot look around your area for a nice shot with a lot of stairs or woods. Take care not to do so in a high traffic area.

Just wanted to give you some pointers. Thanks very much for the complement about my Deviant Art page. I can't wait to go to another convention and try out my new camera. I'm a Semi Professional Cosplay Photographer which means I do it for fun. You can see from my photos that both the cosplayer and I are having fun. Often, I'm also wearing an outfit which puts people at ease.

I have a real nice handheld camera but not any of those fancy and expensive equipment. I don't use my Cell Phone for photography. Yes they have decent cameras in them but the photos are not as good as a real camera.  

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:42 am
Pastel Flower

angelmage99

A Victorian corset is ambitus. I've never made one myself. If I may give some advice, I'd recommend doing a Regency stay instead. They're easy to make and not as complicated as a corset. I can link you to some Regency stay patterns or some pages that will tell you how to make your own.

If you want to go more historically correct with your Renfest outfit, the support for that era is mostly stiff fabric and a well laced front. The next question would be if you were planning on peasant, middle, or upper class. Most of my costumes are lower middle-class (to match the role I play at Ren faires).  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:13 pm
angelmage99
A Victorian corset is ambitus. I've never made one myself. If I may give some advice, I'd recommend doing a Regency stay instead. They're easy to make and not as complicated as a corset. I can link you to some Regency stay patterns or some pages that will tell you how to make your own.

If you want to go more historically correct with your Renfest outfit, the support for that era is mostly stiff fabric and a well laced front. The next question would be if you were planning on peasant, middle, or upper class. Most of my costumes are lower middle-class (to match the role I play at Ren faires).

I think I'm okay on the corset; I want to increase my sewing/fitting/trimming skills and I'm okay with a challenge. smile The regency stays I like are either corded or boned and have gussets and the Victorian ones have bones and a busk. Either way, it will be a learning curve.

I'm not worried about historical accuracy for a Renfest dress; I just want something I can traipse around in the mud and heat in. I haven't really considered what I'll do for a full Renaissance outfit but I guess more upper class, so I can have at least a touch of blackwork embroidery, fur trimmings, or rhinestone "jewels." whee  

Pastel Flower

Charmed Rabbit

19,450 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:00 pm
Pastel Flower

I think I'm okay on the corset; I want to increase my sewing/fitting/trimming skills and I'm okay with a challenge. smile The regency stays I like are either corded or boned and have gussets and the Victorian ones have bones and a busk. Either way, it will be a learning curve.

I'm not worried about historical accuracy for a Renfest dress; I just want something I can traipse around in the mud and heat in. I haven't really considered what I'll do for a full Renaissance outfit but I guess more upper class, so I can have at least a touch of blackwork embroidery, fur trimmings, or rhinestone "jewels." whee

I personally prefer more fantasy Renfest looks as well. They're much funnier. It allows for more creativity.  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff