Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Introduce Yourself Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:04 pm
Pastel Flower
angelmage99
A Victorian corset is ambitus. I've never made one myself. If I may give some advice, I'd recommend doing a Regency stay instead. They're easy to make and not as complicated as a corset. I can link you to some Regency stay patterns or some pages that will tell you how to make your own.

If you want to go more historically correct with your Renfest outfit, the support for that era is mostly stiff fabric and a well laced front. The next question would be if you were planning on peasant, middle, or upper class. Most of my costumes are lower middle-class (to match the role I play at Ren faires).

I think I'm okay on the corset; I want to increase my sewing/fitting/trimming skills and I'm okay with a challenge. smile The regency stays I like are either corded or boned and have gussets and the Victorian ones have bones and a busk. Either way, it will be a learning curve.

I'm not worried about historical accuracy for a Renfest dress; I just want something I can traipse around in the mud and heat in. I haven't really considered what I'll do for a full Renaissance outfit but I guess more upper class, so I can have at least a touch of blackwork embroidery, fur trimmings, or rhinestone "jewels." whee

You remind me of some of the Ren Fests that I have gone to. When they say rain or shine they mean it. I've had the experience of being in the hot sun and mud you can sink your feet in. They sometimes make a big deal about people dressed up in the upper class fashion in a good way.

Most Ren Fests have performers wandering about making comments about people especially if they think you're a noble. The fancier the outfit the bigger the possible response. I can usually figure out who the performers are and react to them. I don't dress up at a Ren Fest so I can get an interesting response out of them. If you come across one have fun.

One of my great Loves at the Ren Fests is the artwork. Whether it be a shop selling outfits, glass wear, candles, swords (Yes real ones), watercolor and regular drawings, and especially fantasy inspired creations. I have over 20 faery's that I have collected over the years at Ren Fests and specialty shops in my area. I also am a big fan of Tinkle Bell too!!

Have fun with creating your outfits and feel free to post photos of them in our Photo Section Sub Forum. It does need work so excuse the old threads and photos that are lost due to the photobucket website. You can certainly start a new thread.

Oh Ashleigh I don't remember you playing roles at Ren Fests. Please let us know what they were.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:22 am
smithers456

Oh Ashleigh I don't remember you playing roles at Ren Fests. Please let us know what they were.

Well I did mostly vender related stuff. The first time was as a vender, then I did a year as a game master's minion, and then was I started dating my now husband. His mom was a jewelry vender. Most of my costumes were either peasants or merchant in response.

I have plans in making more middle class/lower class outfits around and inspired by for the 15-16 century, but I also want to make a few outfits for the 12-14 century as well. the 12-14 century will be more historically accurate and for the upper class.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:28 pm
angelmage99
smithers456

Well I did mostly vender related stuff. The first time was as a vender, then I did a year as a game master's minion, and then was I started dating my now husband. His mom was a jewelry vender. Most of my costumes were either peasants or merchant in response.

I have plans in making more middle class/lower class outfits around and inspired by for the 15-16 century, but I also want to make a few outfits for the 12-14 century as well. the 12-14 century will be more historically accurate and for the upper class.

That's cool being a vendor or working for one. Back in my Star Trek Con days I worked at vendor booths and helped the convention staff out in other ways. I was part of a Star Trek club who always helped out cons when they came to my area. I would Love to see how you look in some of those outfits. I'm sure they are wonderful due to how skilled you are.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:59 am
smithers456
angelmage99
smithers456

That's cool being a vendor or working for one. Back in my Star Trek Con days I worked at vendor booths and helped the convention staff out in other ways. I was part of a Star Trek club who always helped out cons when they came to my area. I would Love to see how you look in some of those outfits. I'm sure they are wonderful due to how skilled you are.

Those are probably a year or two down the road. I can pump costumes and clothing out pretty fast, but money is always a factor.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

Nightlight Moon

Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:51 pm
Hi, I'm Sam, I'm 20. My favorite anime of all time is trigun with baccano as my second favorite. I enjoy tinkering with and modding things as a hobby. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:34 pm
Nightlight Moon
Hi, I'm Sam, I'm 20. My favorite anime of all time is trigun with baccano as my second favorite. I enjoy tinkering with and modding things as a hobby. 3nodding

Did you just say Baccano!? OMG, not many people know of it. It makes me really happy to see someone who likes it too.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:59 am
Nightlight Moon

Hi Sam, thanks for letting us know more about you. I've heard about Trigun for many years. What's the thing and or character that you like in the series? Just like my Vice Captain I have heard of baccano but have not had aq chance to watch it yet.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:21 pm
smithers456
Nightlight Moon

Hi Sam, thanks for letting us know more about you. I've heard about Trigun for many years. What's the thing and or character that you like in the series? Just like my Vice Captain I have heard of baccano but have not had aq chance to watch it yet.

When you get a chance, you need to watch it. It's a really good short (13 episodes) series. It became so popular that Baccano! had to be banned as an answer to any question (or anything related to Baccano!). It became that popular after watching it.  

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200

Nightlight Moon

Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:17 pm
angelmage99
Nightlight Moon

Did you just say Baccano!? OMG, not many people know of it. It makes me really happy to see someone who likes it too.

Glad to meet another fan! whee

smithers456
Nightlight Moon

I like a lot of things about trigun, the memorable characters, really neat art style, entertaining gunplay, and rich worldbuilding. I like the scifi/western mix aesthetic too.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:47 am
Hi! My penname is Arisa or Arisami I've been cosplaying since 2006 when I was in middle school. I'm 30 now and I still love it. I started Gaia around then too. I've only recently dipped my toes into coming back.

Some of my favorite anime are D. Gray Man, Madoka Magica, Fairy Tail, and Violet Evergarden. I really like videogames like the Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda series, Animal Crossing, Rune Factory 4, Monster Hunter, and Dreamlight Valley.

I love sweets and spicy snacks! I'm not a very picky eater and am willing to try most things at least once. My favorite drink is tea. I have a lot of loose leaf ones so I can mix my own blends.  

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

smithers456

Captain

Friendly Explorer

9,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Guildmember 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:10 am
Ennichi_Jimetsu
Hi! My penname is Arisa or Arisami I've been cosplaying since 2006 when I was in middle school. I'm 30 now and I still love it. I started Gaia around then too. I've only recently dipped my toes into coming back.

Some of my favorite anime are D. Gray Man, Madoka Magica, Fairy Tail, and Violet Evergarden. I really like videogames like the Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda series, Animal Crossing, Rune Factory 4, Monster Hunter, and Dreamlight Valley.

I love sweets and spicy snacks! I'm not a very picky eater and am willing to try most things at least once. My favorite drink is tea. I have a lot of loose leaf ones so I can mix my own blends.

Hi Arisa,

Thanks for posting in this thread and the questionnaire thread. It means a lot. It's awesome that you have done over 100 cosplays. Make sure to check out the Tutorials Sub Forum. Our Vice Captain Angelmage99 has posted 100's of Cosplay Tutorials their. Have fun browsing them and feel free to ask our Vice Captain any questions about them and Cosplay. I happen to be a semi professional Cosplay Photographer. Basically it means that I have the eye for photography and Love taking photos of Cosplayers. If curious you can check out my photos at smithersphoto on Instagram.

Madoka Magica and Fairy Tail are two of my favorite Anime series. My current top favorites are Sailor Moon, Demon Slayer, and Pokemon. Violet Evergarden I Loved every minute of it and the opening song makes me cry because it's so beautiful.

Just to let you know Angel and myself are on the Guild almost every day. Right now I'm looking for help on where this Guild will go next. I need ideas for contests, projects, and ways to get our members to post more. Please check out the different Sub Forums and topics in the main forum. I will appreciate any and all input and ideas you may have.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:29 pm
3nodding
smithers456

Hi Arisa,

Thanks for posting in this thread and the questionnaire thread. It means a lot. It's awesome that you have done over 100 cosplays. Make sure to check out the Tutorials Sub Forum. Our Vice Captain Angelmage99 has posted 100's of Cosplay Tutorials their. Have fun browsing them and feel free to ask our Vice Captain any questions about them and Cosplay. I happen to be a semi professional Cosplay Photographer. Basically it means that I have the eye for photography and Love taking photos of Cosplayers. If curious you can check out my photos at smithersphoto on Instagram.

Madoka Magica and Fairy Tail are two of my favorite Anime series. My current top favorites are Sailor Moon, Demon Slayer, and Pokemon. Violet Evergarden I Loved every minute of it and the opening song makes me cry because it's so beautiful.

Just to let you know Angel and myself are on the Guild almost every day. Right now I'm looking for help on where this Guild will go next. I need ideas for contests, projects, and ways to get our members to post more. Please check out the different Sub Forums and topics in the main forum. I will appreciate any and all input and ideas you may have.

Thank you! Your photos look like you've had some great times at cons capturing a variety of cosplayers' pics! I'm Artisticpsyco cosplay on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter, though I've been pretty lazy on posting on any of them haha.

I'm impressed with how many tutorials Angelmage has been able to organize! I am trying to be on Gaia at least a few times a week. I'm not sure what I can help with, but if I can think of any ideas, I'll be sure to let either of you know. Likewise, let me know if there's anything I could help with as you move forward 3nodding  

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

angelmage99
Vice Captain

Liberal Ladykiller

22,940 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:04 pm
Ennichi_Jimetsu
3nodding
smithers456

Hi Arisa,

Thank you! Your photos look like you've had some great times at cons capturing a variety of cosplayers' pics! I'm Artisticpsyco cosplay on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter, though I've been pretty lazy on posting on any of them haha.

I'm impressed with how many tutorials Angelmage has been able to organize! I am trying to be on Gaia at least a few times a week. I'm not sure what I can help with, but if I can think of any ideas, I'll be sure to let either of you know. Likewise, let me know if there's anything I could help with as you move forward 3nodding

Welcome!

As Smithers said, please feel free to ask me any questions. If you'd like me to make a tutorial list for a media that I haven't done yet, please tell me. I'll do it right away.

I also cosplay and we're pretty close in age. I'm 33. It looks like our birthdays are really close too.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:15 pm
angelmage99
Ennichi_Jimetsu
3nodding
smithers456

Hi Arisa,

Welcome!

As Smithers said, please feel free to ask me any questions. If you'd like me to make a tutorial list for a media that I haven't done yet, please tell me. I'll do it right away.

I also cosplay and we're pretty close in age. I'm 33. It looks like our birthdays are really close too.

Thanks Angel! I'll let you know if I have any questions. Also yay for early Oct. babies! haha  

Ennichi_Jimetsu
Crew

O.G. Gaian

OnsenMark

Crew

Noble Raider

12,700 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:16 pm
I'm back. I've been away for quite a while, due to real life issues. But yeah -- I may not be back full-time, but I'll be around.

Anyway, I'm Mark -- otaku since before I knew the term, been going to cons since '09, staffing my local con since... 2015? 2016? But I had to put that on hold because COVID and the aforementioned real-life issues, but I'll be back this November. My media backlog is currently horrific, as I have blurays I bought two years plus ago and still haven't watched. I play lots of Final Fantasy XIV, and I can't WAIT for Dawntrail. I'm hopelessly addicted to caffeine.

Again, I'll be around. 3nodding  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces