Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
First ever Agility Trial *w/trial pics* VIDEO ADDED Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Animelover955

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:22 am
Ahhh so Abby and I did it! We had our first trial yesterday. Got up at 5:50 to make sure I had everything, pack the car, feed and walk the dogs etc and left by 7:15. We ended up only running in standard and jumpers.

Firstly let me just say she did awesome in her crate. We had to crate all the dogs outdoors/out of our cars so I ended up hanging out with my friend and her family and we crated the dogs towards the back of the parking lot in a corner. When I'd first put her in she'd whine a bit(she only barked once), but I was able to walk away without an issue. So she was crated periodically throughout the day.

Our first run was ok. When we first got out there I wanna say she completed the first jump then saw a bunch of people and was just like "PEOPLEZ! HIYA" and then she got a bit zoomie and went to visit the judge and everyone else. She did her A-frame awesomely. The first go when she landed she kinda stumbled and stuff, but she kept going on her own I didn't cue her to the tunnel, but she went ahead so we kept going, but the second go I made sure to slow down and make sure she dismounted properly. Now for the table sigh... She jumped and slid off then jumped back on and refused to down.... So after I tried to get her in down I just gave up and attempted to finish the course. But yeah it was a huge fail and I went off course, but it was Exhibition only so no big deal and it was a good learning experience for us.

Our jumpers run was a lot better. My parents showed up in time to watch our last run, but I made them stay clear of the building because if she saw them while we were in the ring it would've been over lol....But We actually completed the course no faults! But again she went around visiting everyone in sight. Then she saw my friend who was taping us and attempted to run out the ring to see her a few times. But it was the better of the two runs. And she was having a blast so whatever.

Oh and I actually got this dog to tug! Friday night I got her a new toy(Skinneeez stuffing free one) and I didn't let her play with it at all until we were at the trial. She was so into it it's crazy. We tugged for a good few minutes and I was even able to tug with her while we were in line waiting for our run. It's such a huge shocker. Since she's so in love with it maybe it'll be my secret weapon. For now she's only allowed to play with it when we're doing agility. That way she more willing to work for it

I don't have any videos ninja I mean I do, but my friend has to e-mail them to me because they are on her camera. So as soon as I get those I'll share

And sadly I only took one picture of the brat... She was having some downtime between runs in the crate
User Image

My friends girlie shiloh
User Image

My friend and shiloh getting ready to go in the ring!
User Image

Shiloh in the ring... super blurry
User Image

And all the pictures I took of the dogs running came out blurry because I didn't want to use flash and distract the dogs...

My instructor running her spazz Riley
User Image

User Image

A random BC
User Image

User Image

And a poodle
User Image

The best part about all this is that I now have one tired puppy. Yesterday Abby jumped up on my bed and she hasn't moved since. She's completely KO'd. Same thing happened to me though soo... but yeah we got up this morning and did a bit of training and now we're both back in bed lol  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:31 pm
That's awesome, and I can't wait to see the video. I think you will find, the more trials, be it EO or sanctioned, that each trial she gets a tad more focused. But it's also a bit of a balancing act of letting them socialize and burn off a bit of steam before going in, but not so much they're tired.

Cowboy's first frisbee trial was...just, the worst I've EVER witnessed. He caught maybe two throws in the whole 2 minutes. He would catch one, then run off to see my family, or the judge, or some random person.

Then a year or maybe two later, he performed at the Olympic Stadium with like, hundreds of people and never once left the ring. It's ridiculous how far he's come. He's still a bit unfocused in agility.

The idea of having one toy she ONLY uses in agility is absolutely excellent. You can do that with a favorite treat too. It will definitely up her drive.

You'll fin that exobition trials are better practice than classes, because, well, to put it in perspective, I have a friend who's dog is just amazing, fast, obedient, got all the commands DOWN. But put this dog in a trial and he knocks every bar and misses every turn and has never gotten a Q. I keep telling him the same thing. Dogs feed off your energy and those around you. They can sense your stress, they can sense that this event matters, and they can cave under the pressure same as people. So actually doing exibition matches will help her get used to that whole atmosphere. And in time she won't find it AASSS exciting that there's a stranger and will stay on course more and more.

OMG Cowboy's first frisbee trial.

And one year later  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Animelover955

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:22 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
That's awesome, and I can't wait to see the video. I think you will find, the more trials, be it EO or sanctioned, that each trial she gets a tad more focused. But it's also a bit of a balancing act of letting them socialize and burn off a bit of steam before going in, but not so much they're tired.

Cowboy's first frisbee trial was...just, the worst I've EVER witnessed. He caught maybe two throws in the whole 2 minutes. He would catch one, then run off to see my family, or the judge, or some random person.

Then a year or maybe two later, he performed at the Olympic Stadium with like, hundreds of people and never once left the ring. It's ridiculous how far he's come. He's still a bit unfocused in agility.

The idea of having one toy she ONLY uses in agility is absolutely excellent. You can do that with a favorite treat too. It will definitely up her drive.

You'll fin that exobition trials are better practice than classes, because, well, to put it in perspective, I have a friend who's dog is just amazing, fast, obedient, got all the commands DOWN. But put this dog in a trial and he knocks every bar and misses every turn and has never gotten a Q. I keep telling him the same thing. Dogs feed off your energy and those around you. They can sense your stress, they can sense that this event matters, and they can cave under the pressure same as people. So actually doing exibition matches will help her get used to that whole atmosphere. And in time she won't find it AASSS exciting that there's a stranger and will stay on course more and more.

OMG Cowboy's first frisbee trial.

And one year later

There was a major difference just between her first run and second run. The first she was just like woo the second she was a tad more focused. So hopefully as we continue she'll become more and more focused.

Abby really enjoyed herself. Looking at the videos for the first time she was having a blast lol also my handling sucks razz but that'll hopefully get better with time.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:13 pm
Wow! Seeing your pics on this thread and watching your vids, Gabby, makes me really wanna do agility training for my dog, too! Just wish he was the right type for it. xD I'll just live vicariously through you guys, ha! You guys do awesome stuff, I can't wait to see more!  

Ailinea

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:43 am
Ailinea
Wow! Seeing your pics on this thread and watching your vids, Gabby, makes me really wanna do agility training for my dog, too! Just wish he was the right type for it. xD I'll just live vicariously through you guys, ha! You guys do awesome stuff, I can't wait to see more!

Wada ya mmmeeaaaannnn the right type?

And omg it says video added but I don't seeeeeee it crying  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:39 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Ailinea

Oh noes did it not work? here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufxajreDCiU  

Animelover955

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:51 am
Animelover955
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Ailinea

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufxajreDCiU

I mean I couldn't find the link on your post.

daawww, poor Abby, that open door was super distracting lol. And she had to make sure the people were still watching her. Although hopefully they know enough to ignore her when she does that.

There is one thing I can comment on, and it's something I STILL do, but try, to, NOT stop, like ever lol. If your dog passes you, don't just call her, back up. And try not to let her get ahead of you until your working distances. Because what it looked like, was she'd head the wrong way, and you would stop at the jump you wanted and she was like OKAY WERE DONE!!! Like I said, I have trouble with this too, but you have to try to stay moving, even if it means doing like, baby step running like if u ever fake race a lil kid.

I miss agility, but with Cowboy's arthritis I doubt we'll spend anymore time or money on it. I might come summer, pay to use the equipment and just go for fun and set the jumps super low. I think we're pretty focused on frisbee though, and dock diving is something he should be able to do too.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:27 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

I mean I couldn't find the link on your post.

daawww, poor Abby, that open door was super distracting lol. And she had to make sure the people were still watching her. Although hopefully they know enough to ignore her when she does that.

There is one thing I can comment on, and it's something I STILL do, but try, to, NOT stop, like ever lol. If your dog passes you, don't just call her, back up. And try not to let her get ahead of you until your working distances. Because what it looked like, was she'd head the wrong way, and you would stop at the jump you wanted and she was like OKAY WERE DONE!!! Like I said, I have trouble with this too, but you have to try to stay moving, even if it means doing like, baby step running like if u ever fake race a lil kid.

I miss agility, but with Cowboy's arthritis I doubt we'll spend anymore time or money on it. I might come summer, pay to use the equipment and just go for fun and set the jumps super low. I think we're pretty focused on frisbee though, and dock diving is something he should be able to do too.

I was so tired last night I think I just failed to add the link sweatdrop

Yeah everyone was ignoreing her, but she just couldn't figure out why.

My handling SUCKED so I know I was throwing her off too. Plus she kept seeing my friend so everytime she caught a glimpse of her she ran off to see her. And during jumpers when she came out of the tunnel for the second time I was about to send her over the wrong jump and my cunfusion/hesitation made her not jump it so I was able to correct myself and do the proper jump...

But this was definately a good learning experience for me and to see what I need to work on and what not. I'm excited for class this evening! We should be able to see a video from way back when we first started and see how much the dogs and us have grown.

Oh and here's my friends video of her running her doggie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ieILE4d8Gc&list=LLlkkSFt0c-hKsumUuVyXdvQ  

Animelover955

Ailinea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:54 am
Great video! Looks like she did a great job on her first trial! There's only room for improvement smile

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Ailinea

I dunno, maybe he is, but he's smallish and I guess he just needs some work with obedience... I'm not sure if his last owners beat him or yelled at him or what but he gets very self conscious sometimes. He's smart though, maybe I should give it a shot. He doesn't have the same energy drive your dogs have though, but he definitely has increased in energy since his diet changed.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:23 am
Animelover955

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufxajreDCiU

1:45- "Ooooh I know you! Are recording this?? I wunna seeeeeee!"

She had so much fun whee So many smell's, can you blame her for going all A.D.D? LOL Its great she payed attention to you so much smile It'll only get better! You guys are off to great start =D  

Akari_32

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:56 am
Ailinea
Great video! Looks like she did a great job on her first trial! There's only room for improvement smile

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Ailinea

I dunno, maybe he is, but he's smallish and I guess he just needs some work with obedience... I'm not sure if his last owners beat him or yelled at him or what but he gets very self conscious sometimes. He's smart though, maybe I should give it a shot. He doesn't have the same energy drive your dogs have though, but he definitely has increased in energy since his diet changed.

Papillons are tiny dogs and they're supposedly really good for agility. I don't think size really matters, although I'd imagine that giant breeds might have trouble.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:36 pm
Vanilla eXee
Ailinea

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Ailinea

Papillons are tiny dogs and they're supposedly really good for agility. I don't think size really matters, although I'd imagine that giant breeds might have trouble.

I absloutely love paps! They're the border collies of the small dog world lol. They're also probably one of the only small breeds I'd ever own. Some of the trainers where I train own them and I know someone with 3.

Basically any dog can do agility so long as they're fit and able to handle it. I've seen great danes do agility and saturday there was a very bouncey greyhound competing.  

Animelover955

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:42 pm
Animelover955

I absloutely love paps! They're the border collies of the small dog world lol. They're also probably one of the only small breeds I'd ever own. Some of the trainers where I train own them and I know someone with 3.

Basically any dog can do agility so long as they're fit and able to handle it. I've seen great danes do agility and saturday there was a very bouncey greyhound competing.

ninja Papillons are my absolute favorite dog breed, and like you, I'm not a fan of small dogs. Awesome video >.<  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:59 pm
Ailinea

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Ailinea

What type of dog do you have? Small breeds can do quite well, weaving is easier for a small breed than a large one, all be it it takes them a bit longer but you would compete in a class of similar height dogs. Jumps are set according to height. Agility can actually be good for dogs with confidence issues because it encourages them to trust you and be more condident. It's like, swim and gym for kids, doing obstacle course etc to build confindence in their daily lives (ok, maybe a dumb example but I happened to be a swimming instructor for mentally and physically challenged kids)  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Ailinea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:47 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Ailinea

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Ailinea

What type of dog do you have? Small breeds can do quite well, weaving is easier for a small breed than a large one, all be it it takes them a bit longer but you would compete in a class of similar height dogs. Jumps are set according to height. Agility can actually be good for dogs with confidence issues because it encourages them to trust you and be more condident. It's like, swim and gym for kids, doing obstacle course etc to build confindence in their daily lives (ok, maybe a dumb example but I happened to be a swimming instructor for mentally and physically challenged kids)

That's actually a great example... that might be a good thing for him. His separation anxiety is getting worse, this may help and keep him motivated.

This is what he looks like... I think he's a beagle mix of some sort, not sure what else.
User Image

And this is his size:
User Image

He's about 16-17 lbs, about 3 years old. He loves to climb rocks and jump, and he every so often gets an itch to run like a maniac, but mostly he's really laid back. His energy has definitely increased since I put him on a raw diet though, so he might be able to handle it. He's just a terrible listener lol. I guess with time and training that will change. How much do agility classes run, how much time did you guys generally take before getting into trials and such? What's the hardest part of agility training?  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff