Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply Advice Forum
Question on Freedom of Speech on the Internet.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ghin - Aoiichi

Retro Punk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:47 pm
emotion_bigvein If i make a specific post asking for a specific opinion on something in particular.

But instead get an insult about something else. Then said person(s) keep quoteing me after i tell them that i do not want their insults/opinions. And repeadtly state that i do not want to be quoted / contacted.

How is their repeated quoteing me after i ask them not to "freedom of speech" ?? emotion_bigvein  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:48 pm
It -is- freedom of speech, and you have the freedom to put them on ignore and thus will no longer be bothered by them.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean that you're obligated to put up with something that you don't want to. They can say whatever they want, but that doesn't mean you have to listen.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Ghin - Aoiichi

Retro Punk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:50 pm
ThisEmptySoul
It -is- freedom of speech, and you have the freedom to put them on ignore and thus will no longer be bothered by them.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean that you're obligated to put up with something that you don't want to. They can say whatever they want, but that doesn't mean you have to listen.

WHat if they go around the ignore and use a differente account??? What is that?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:02 pm
GuinAoiichi
WHat if they go around the ignore and use a differente account??? What is that?
Them being an annoying nuisance, and you can report them for harassment to Gaia mods. They even made it easy by providing a link above every post that says "report post". If it's in a guild, then talk to your guild mods.

But one thing that would probably help you most of all is to just ignore their comments and not respond. As long as you respond, they know they're getting to you and will continue until they get bored or you make a complete a** of yourself.

They still have the right to their own opinion regardless of whether or not you want to hear it and you still have the freedom to ignore them... not just simply by clicking the "ignore" option, but -actually- ignoring them.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Advice Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces