Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Fiproguard... Are my suspicions correct?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:59 am
So, our store is starting to sell Sentry Fiproguard. It's from sergeants, which I'm sure you guys have heard about. I don't know if they are or are related to hartz, but whenever I see anything with either name on it I am incredibly leery of it (mostly because of their rep for pet-killing flea treatments).

I wanted to know if you guys had any opinions one way or another on this product? Right off the bat, I know several people who think it's crappy and ineffective (some vets and techs among those people). You get what you pay for, mostly. But have you guys heard about any fatalities or increased likelihood of a serious reaction in comparison to other, more reputable products?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:49 pm
Ive heard/read that fiproguard is just the knock off of frontline because fipronil's patent expired. Ive had people say that frontline has stopped working even. Previously i have used revolution but am trying advantage II this year when i get it.  

ladycrotalus

Sparkly Gekko

7,225 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:37 pm
ladycrotalus
Ive heard/read that fiproguard is just the knock off of frontline because fipronil's patent expired. Ive had people say that frontline has stopped working even. Previously i have used revolution but am trying advantage II this year when i get it.

Yeah, one of my coworkers said "it's the same stuff, lower price" while another said it was crap, definitely bad for sensitive pets, and ineffective to boot. I use advantage myself and I've always been happy with it.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:42 pm
I was considering Advantix since I heard Frontline is pretty terrible. I used to use Comfortis but I can't afford that at the moment. But I'm just so anxious about using those chemical-y drops on my dog. I've heard too many horror stories and something just seems... weird about a chemical being absorbed into the skin that kills blood sucking parasites for a whole 30 days.

I just bought a gigantic container of food grade diatomaceous earth... I hear it's awesome for flea and worm prevention, and natural and healthy... but I have yet to use it. Does anyone have any experience in using it? I hope it's worth it... I spent $15 on it D:  

Ailinea

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:47 pm
Ailinea
I was considering Advantix since I heard Frontline is pretty terrible. I used to use Comfortis but I can't afford that at the moment. But I'm just so anxious about using those chemical-y drops on my dog. I've heard too many horror stories and something just seems... weird about a chemical being absorbed into the skin that kills blood sucking parasites for a whole 30 days.

I just bought a gigantic container of food grade diatomaceous earth... I hear it's awesome for flea and worm prevention, and natural and healthy... but I have yet to use it. Does anyone have any experience in using it? I hope it's worth it... I spent $15 on it D:

I've heard diatomaceous earth was good, but I don't have any experience using it. The closest I've come is using borax for cockroaches-- which worked fabulously, by the way. Haha.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:18 pm
I haven't heard anything, but this month is the first time that the company's actually gone on a full advert for the brand. If anything came up we would (hopefully) be one of the first to know.

I have used it on Luce once when we were doing our flea-killer housecleaning spree. We haven't seen a flea since, and it didn't seem to cause her any ill effects. Then again she's a 9yo JRT with a clean bill of health and no predispositions to chemical or food sensitivities.

This'd prolly be one of the few times I would say for owners to take their vet's advice, since the vet is going to be the person who knows what the animal is sensitive to. *shrug*  

Eizoryu

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff