Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply The Bible
Welcome to the guild! Introduce yourself here! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Welcome! ^_^
  =D
  D=
View Results

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:14 am
LilyLilac11
Scarlet_Teardrops
LilyLilac11

Thankyou so much for replying to me! It means alot! heart

God Bless You!

-Lily.

I suffer from depression fairly regularly too. I don't think there is anything wrong with depression in and of itself, as long as we don't lose our joy. Remember that joy is not the same thing as "happiness". Happiness is a fleeting moment of emotion. But joy is a true, inner contentment found in a relationship with Jesus. Therefore, even when we are depressed we may still have joy. The Jewish word for this is shalom. I find I get depressed because of the state of the world, and I am especially mournful when people I know leave the faith.

You don't have to write a Christian fiction novel if you do not wish to. However, you should do all things unto the LORD, to glorify Him. So it is probably best if you work to promote God's truth in your work. But there are many ways to do this! There are many who think that it is impossible to glorify God in horror fiction, for example. But this simply is not the case. Part of the reality for a Christian is the existence of evil. Horror is one of the best genres to exemplify evil and morality.

Also, feelings of hopelessness can still be incorporated into Christian work. We struggle sometimes with feeling hopeless. Everyone does at some point, including Christians. The key is to demonstrate that there was a reason for hope all along, even if the character didn't see it at first. In fact, in a Christian story things don't even have to work out the way people would want. I was a Professional Writing major for two years and one of the important things I learned was this: a hero does not have to win, he/she just has to succeed. That's important, because to win and to succeed are very different.

Writing depressed characters helps me, and listening to sad music speaks to my soul. I have found that I do better when I speak from my soul and find things that speak to my soul. It makes the pain easier to bear. Like, sometimes when I have slipped into a depression I will read Job or Lamentations. It's comforting to me.

Have you ever read Job in its entirety, or Lamentations?

Remember that there are many ways to glorify God in your work. As a fantasy writer, my work involves adventure and romance, but it also involves violence, death, and misery. This is because violence, death, and misery are very real and need to be confronted, not ignored. This is why I bar nothing when I write battle scenes. I'm very descriptive, not to the point of "gore fest", necessarily, but I make sure that people know what I think about war: that there is no glory in it. But sometimes it's necessary.

Don't be afraid to have characters cuss in your stories, either. I know that some would probably criticize me for this, but as a Christian I'm not writing to portray some perfect world with perfect little Christian people. I'm writing to portray the sinful, fallen world and the reality of God's grace in it and despite it. It's also realistic. Just make sure you do so in a tasteful manner--gratuitous cursing, unless it fits the character, isn't necessary and can even be a detriment to your story.

God has forgiven you for your rebellion! That's the good news about the Good News! ^_^

I'm glad you returned to the faith. 3nodding

And, a fictionalized autobiography sounds very interesting. I'm glad you wrote this. It sounds like you needed to.

Yeah, I think I needed to write it too.

The whole having depression when God was supposed to give me Joy thing made me pretty bitter when I was a teenager too, But I think I understand what you mean now.

Is it alright if I send you chapter 1 in a PM? heart

Of course! I'll probably read it and give you my critiques sometime this week, if you'd like.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:32 am
Scarlet_Teardrops
LilyLilac11
Scarlet_Teardrops
LilyLilac11

Thankyou so much for replying to me! It means alot! heart

God Bless You!

-Lily.

I suffer from depression fairly regularly too. I don't think there is anything wrong with depression in and of itself, as long as we don't lose our joy. Remember that joy is not the same thing as "happiness". Happiness is a fleeting moment of emotion. But joy is a true, inner contentment found in a relationship with Jesus. Therefore, even when we are depressed we may still have joy. The Jewish word for this is shalom. I find I get depressed because of the state of the world, and I am especially mournful when people I know leave the faith.

You don't have to write a Christian fiction novel if you do not wish to. However, you should do all things unto the LORD, to glorify Him. So it is probably best if you work to promote God's truth in your work. But there are many ways to do this! There are many who think that it is impossible to glorify God in horror fiction, for example. But this simply is not the case. Part of the reality for a Christian is the existence of evil. Horror is one of the best genres to exemplify evil and morality.

Also, feelings of hopelessness can still be incorporated into Christian work. We struggle sometimes with feeling hopeless. Everyone does at some point, including Christians. The key is to demonstrate that there was a reason for hope all along, even if the character didn't see it at first. In fact, in a Christian story things don't even have to work out the way people would want. I was a Professional Writing major for two years and one of the important things I learned was this: a hero does not have to win, he/she just has to succeed. That's important, because to win and to succeed are very different.

Writing depressed characters helps me, and listening to sad music speaks to my soul. I have found that I do better when I speak from my soul and find things that speak to my soul. It makes the pain easier to bear. Like, sometimes when I have slipped into a depression I will read Job or Lamentations. It's comforting to me.

Have you ever read Job in its entirety, or Lamentations?

Remember that there are many ways to glorify God in your work. As a fantasy writer, my work involves adventure and romance, but it also involves violence, death, and misery. This is because violence, death, and misery are very real and need to be confronted, not ignored. This is why I bar nothing when I write battle scenes. I'm very descriptive, not to the point of "gore fest", necessarily, but I make sure that people know what I think about war: that there is no glory in it. But sometimes it's necessary.

Don't be afraid to have characters cuss in your stories, either. I know that some would probably criticize me for this, but as a Christian I'm not writing to portray some perfect world with perfect little Christian people. I'm writing to portray the sinful, fallen world and the reality of God's grace in it and despite it. It's also realistic. Just make sure you do so in a tasteful manner--gratuitous cursing, unless it fits the character, isn't necessary and can even be a detriment to your story.

God has forgiven you for your rebellion! That's the good news about the Good News! ^_^

I'm glad you returned to the faith. 3nodding

And, a fictionalized autobiography sounds very interesting. I'm glad you wrote this. It sounds like you needed to.

Yeah, I think I needed to write it too.

The whole having depression when God was supposed to give me Joy thing made me pretty bitter when I was a teenager too, But I think I understand what you mean now.

Is it alright if I send you chapter 1 in a PM? heart

Of course! I'll probably read it and give you my critiques sometime this week, if you'd like.

I'd really appreciate that! Thankyou! heart  

LilyLilac11

Blessed Gaian

Asadachi

Devout Worshipper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:42 pm
Hi, I'm Asadachi. I have been saved for five years and am reading the bible for the fourth time. I am a spirit filled believer. I believe the Whole word of God is Truth. I love the Lord and I love others. I try my best not to judge others because I don't care to be judged myself. I will not however compromise my faith for others; it is where I take my stand. I am a big believer in prayer. I pray more often than many, but not enough if you know what I mean. It is nice to meet you all and I am anxious to learn a little from each of you. I believe we are all called to spread the Gospel and should do so as often as possible. I open myself to any questions about the Word you may have... Even if I don't know the answer, I will eventually come across it in the Word. It tends to explain itself best. I am an avid reader and have read the apocrypha and the Book of Enoch. I don't talk much about who I was before Jesus because I am no longer that person.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:55 pm
Asadachi
Hi, I'm Asadachi. I have been saved for five years and am reading the bible for the fourth time. I am a spirit filled believer. I believe the Whole word of God is Truth. I love the Lord and I love others. I try my best not to judge others because I don't care to be judged myself. I will not however compromise my faith for others; it is where I take my stand. I am a big believer in prayer. I pray more often than many, but not enough if you know what I mean. It is nice to meet you all and I am anxious to learn a little from each of you. I believe we are all called to spread the Gospel and should do so as often as possible. I open myself to any questions about the Word you may have... Even if I don't know the answer, I will eventually come across it in the Word. It tends to explain itself best. I am an avid reader and have read the apocrypha and the Book of Enoch. I don't talk much about who I was before Jesus because I am no longer that person.

Hello and welcome to the guild Asadachi!
That is excellent! We need more people who believe in prayer!
How did you get saved? You don't have to answer if you don't want to. It is just interesting hearing how God worked in someones life. ^_^  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

shortydelite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:11 pm
Hi I'm new to the guild, I tend to be a private person so I'd prefer to go by my username here on gaia. I was saved nearly three years thanks to the wonderful friends in my life. I am nondenominational but because I was raised by a Catholic father I do have those beliefs influencing my life because some are hard to let go still. I won't mind answering anyone's questions but as I said before I do tend to be a very private person so there maybe a few questions I will not answer.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:44 am
shortydelite
Hi I'm new to the guild, I tend to be a private person so I'd prefer to go by my username here on gaia. I was saved nearly three years thanks to the wonderful friends in my life. I am nondenominational but because I was raised by a Catholic father I do have those beliefs influencing my life because some are hard to let go still. I won't mind answering anyone's questions but as I said before I do tend to be a very private person so there maybe a few questions I will not answer.

Hello and welcome to the guild shortydelite. ^_^ We hope you'll enjoy it here.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

shortydelite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:47 am
Garland-Green
shortydelite

Hello and welcome to the guild shortydelite. ^_^ We hope you'll enjoy it here.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I hope to enjoy it here as well!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:50 pm
Hello! I prefer to be called either Dragon or Andi. Despite my avi, I am a girl. I was saved in 2006, almost three months after I turned fifteen. I've read through the Bible at least once, and I am doing a daily Bible study, in which I am able to read through the Bible in a year. I also believe in the power of prayer, since the Bible states that "where two or three of us join together, it will be done." (That's just paraphrasing, I don't know the exact words.) I love music, and I can play simple hymns on my acoustic guitar, such as Amazing Grace and others that only have a few chords. I love to read, and am currently working my way through the Warriors series (by Erin Hunter) for the second time. I enjoy rping here on Gaia, and I've got two guilds that I own myself, although both of them are pretty dead right now, and in need of some new blood to get them up and running again. I don't mind answering questions, so feel free to ask.  

DragonFang09

Devoted Friend

8,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Millionaire 200

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:28 am
DragonFang09
Hello! I prefer to be called either Dragon or Andi. Despite my avi, I am a girl. I was saved in 2006, almost three months after I turned fifteen. I've read through the Bible at least once, and I am doing a daily Bible study, in which I am able to read through the Bible in a year. I also believe in the power of prayer, since the Bible states that "where two or three of us join together, it will be done." (That's just paraphrasing, I don't know the exact words.) I love music, and I can play simple hymns on my acoustic guitar, such as Amazing Grace and others that only have a few chords. I love to read, and am currently working my way through the Warriors series (by Erin Hunter) for the second time. I enjoy rping here on Gaia, and I've got two guilds that I own myself, although both of them are pretty dead right now, and in need of some new blood to get them up and running again. I don't mind answering questions, so feel free to ask.

Welcome to the guild! It's great to have you! ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:50 am
Greetings I am ButterflyCross89

I have been a practicing Christian for 7 years now, I was saved when I was 19. I am a Baptist Christian. I am a survivor of child abuse and while the emotional scars still linger, the pain no longer controls me. I tell you all this so that anyone else who has gone through this knows they have someone they could some day (when they feel comfortable talking about it I mean) talk to about what they also went through or what they are currently going through. For it is my belief that what the devil uses for bad, Our Lord Jesus Christ uses for good.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

I am a bit of a book worm, right now reading books by Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte.

If there is anything else you wish to know, please pm me. God bless and be safe biggrin  

ButterFlyCross89

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:28 am
DragonFang09

Welcome to the guild Andi! How did you get saved? You don't have to answer if you are not comfortable answering, but I am always interested in hearing how people are saved. ^^ It is very inspirational. I agree with you on the power of prayer. We are exhorted to always pray about everything always (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.).  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:33 am
ButterFlyCross89
Greetings I am ButterflyCross89

I have been a practicing Christian for 7 years now, I was saved when I was 19. I am a Baptist Christian. I am a survivor of child abuse and while the emotional scars still linger, the pain no longer controls me. I tell you all this so that anyone else who has gone through this knows they have someone they could some day (when they feel comfortable talking about it I mean) talk to about what they also went through or what they are currently going through. For it is my belief that what the devil uses for bad, Our Lord Jesus Christ uses for good.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

I am a bit of a book worm, right now reading books by Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte.

If there is anything else you wish to know, please pm me. God bless and be safe biggrin

Hello and welcome to the guild ButterflyCross89! Thank you for joining us. I believe you are spot on.

Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

It is great that you are looking for an opportunity to serve and help others! Keep it up!

I am currently reading Little women with my wife. A great book.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

DragonFang09

Devoted Friend

8,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:42 am
Garland-Green
DragonFang09

Welcome to the guild Andi! How did you get saved? You don't have to answer if you are not comfortable answering, but I am always interested in hearing how people are saved. ^^ It is very inspirational. I agree with you on the power of prayer. We are exhorted to always pray about everything always (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.).

I don't mind talking about it. I was saved on a Wednesday night, when my home church was having revival. One of the deacons in my church led me to Jesus, and my life has never been the same. Truth be told, I had a bad temper problem before I was saved, but since I came to Jesus, hardly anything will make me angry. There are, however, some things that I will not tolerate, and that is people messing with my family in the wrong way, (and yes, my friends are included in my family) and people taking God's name in vain.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:46 am
Hey guys, I'm kinda new. Lol, what's a happening?  

Tairajemusu Haru

The Bible

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces