Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Gay and Transgendered Counsilors

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Impy Kun

Dapper Lunatic

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:05 pm
So, I have a women's studies class, and we hold discussions based around articles that we're assigned to read every few weeks. This week, we read an article about a transgendered woman who had been abused by a previous partner, and decided to become a counselor for women who had been raped. When the organization found out that she had once been a man, however, they told her that she couldn't council women anymore.

Now, the discussion eventually diverted off to the topic of that girl who was trying to boycott girl scouts a while back because they allowed transgendered boys into the organization. Then, we began talking about the idea of gay and transgendered counselors working in girl and boy scouts. One comment from a member of our group particularly got to me when she mentioned her concerns with the matter. What she said was that she would feel uncomfortable leaving her children in the care of a gay or transgendered person for fear of them trying to molest her children.

My response to this 'concern' was that the majority of child molesters are, statistically, men who identify themselves as being straight, and that sexual harassment of any type had little to nothing to do with someone's sexual orientation, or sexual identity, and was actually more about dominating and having complete control over a person, leaving the victim helpless. She didn't have much to say after that.

So, basically, I'd like to hear the opinions of everyone else in the guild on this matter. What do you think about the situation regarding the transgendered woman? What are your thoughts on the topic of gay and transgendered councilors in girl and boy scouts? I'm really quite curious to hear everyone's opinions on the matter.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:12 pm
My only thought on this is it doesn't matter what gender or orientation they are, if are compable of doing the job as responsible human beings, I'm ok with it.
People have this misconception and somewhat prejudice attitude that LGBTQ community's are perverts. Is there proof of past incidences? If not, it's just fear without reason.  

Emo Kuromi Nui

Everyday Loiterer

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:15 pm
Well. For me, transgender is still a weird concept and i'd probably be nervous around them (lol more than i usually am around people) but i don't have any problems with them doing any specific jobs. They're people like everyone else. I don't understand why people have issues with them doing certain jobs. I mean come on, they changed for a reason....  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:50 pm
As long as they are capable of performing that job, can do it well and are able to help others, then I don't see no problem. Everyone should be able to chose what careers that they want, no matter what their gender identity or sexual orientation is.  

ForeverDreamWithinADream

Sifen Yamishi

Fashionable Vampire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:42 am
Playboy Karasu Uchiha
As long as they are capable of performing that job, can do it well and are able to help others, then I don't see no problem. Everyone should be able to chose what careers that they want, no matter what their gender identity or sexual orientation is.

Pretty much this.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:09 am
I agree with most of what people have been saying. Gender and Sexual orientation don't matter as long as they can do the job. True I would most likely do background checks, but I would do that for everyone.  

Yoseisame

6,200 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • First step to fame 200

Falsequivalence

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:01 pm
I have a friend that is transgendered (Female to male, actually) That is still a counselor for the Girl Scouts. He's pretty chill. And I have no doubt he would never molest one of his girls XD  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:35 pm
Emo Kuromi Nui
My only thought on this is it doesn't matter what gender or orientation they are, if are compable of doing the job as responsible human beings, I'm ok with it.
People have this misconception and somewhat prejudice attitude that LGBTQ community's are perverts. Is there proof of past incidences? If not, it's just fear without reason.

Masked_Ven

LegionNoir

5,750 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:21 pm
Impy Kun
So, I have a women's studies class, and we hold discussions based around articles that we're assigned to read every few weeks. This week, we read an article about a transgendered woman who had been abused by a previous partner, and decided to become a counselor for women who had been raped. When the organization found out that she had once been a man, however, they told her that she couldn't council women anymore.

Now, the discussion eventually diverted off to the topic of that girl who was trying to boycott girl scouts a while back because they allowed transgendered boys into the organization. Then, we began talking about the idea of gay and transgendered counselors working in girl and boy scouts. One comment from a member of our group particularly got to me when she mentioned her concerns with the matter. What she said was that she would feel uncomfortable leaving her children in the care of a gay or transgendered person for fear of them trying to molest her children.

My response to this 'concern' was that the majority of child molesters are, statistically, men who identify themselves as being straight, and that sexual harassment of any type had little to nothing to do with someone's sexual orientation, or sexual identity, and was actually more about dominating and having complete control over a person, leaving the victim helpless. She didn't have much to say after that.

So, basically, I'd like to hear the opinions of everyone else in the guild on this matter. What do you think about the situation regarding the transgendered woman? What are your thoughts on the topic of gay and transgendered councilors in girl and boy scouts? I'm really quite curious to hear everyone's opinions on the matter.

My response to this would've to be that . . . You've to understand in this world we 'now live in' has nothing to hide. Some states nearly have any community to aid LGBTQ, and some states still have hatred written all over. Overall seeking a job anywhere is hard to achieve; may sound harsh and all, and thus many people would object and stand up to help. You have to think it this way, yes, you can achieve something if you actually do it no you can't achieve if you just pout and fuss about. Some people you may bump into may or may not be a LGBTQ. Doesn't really matter what gender or orientation or skin color or ethnicity they are, if they are comfortable of doing the jobs as any responsible human being; then let them be. I wouldn't assume everyone who changes gender is or are or will molest/ molester. The only proof that someone to say that would have to be one sore-loser; jk. I am not taking any sides, but if a person was to transition and to do all the changes; they would have to go through series of paper works to even be consider as the gender they are. That means checking backgrounds to any sorts.
Heck there are some jobs seeks someone who have more experience, knowledge in the particular field, knows what to do correctly, organized/ perfectionist, etc. Heck most jobs now days background checks people; just to make sure that they don't have anything in file that could cause the employers or the company itself.

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games