Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
GenderQueer Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I am a....
Boy
32%
 32%  [ 8 ]
Girl
40%
 40%  [ 10 ]
Transgender
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Transsexual
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Genderqueer
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 25

Captain Kissel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:43 pm
Ok, so first time really posting in this guild, kinda scared about how you guys will react, but here goes:

In this past year, i have (sorta) come out as GenderQueer. Meaning, i am gender-neutral. I have found a lot of people either think i'm making this up, or it's a self confidence issue, or something of the sort.

But for me it isn't. See, i DO have a lot of confidence issues, but this isn't on of them. When I look in the mirror, i dont see a boy or a girl, i just see me.

So... does being genderqueer mean I don't have an identity?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:51 pm
I actually don't know the answer to this question because I feel pretty much the same way about myself.  

Scarlet Weather Rose

3,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:21 pm
No! Not at all! Your gender/sexuality is just a trait about you. It doesn't define you totally nor should it. You have ideas, opinions, likes and dislikes, and memories. those are your identity. So what if you're queer? It's part of you.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:59 pm
My first post in this guild, i havent joined yet but will likely. i do however have some light i can share in this topic.

IRL, i am a 23-yr old male, i only discovered the Terms Transgender and GenderQueer a few months ago.
But i'm have an unusually tough time deciding if i'm GQ or a TG girl trapped in a guy's body.

The real answer here that you need though is: If You've decided you are GQ, why look for a singular identity when you have Many?
you can be the tough and rumble guy or the sensitive and compassionate girl.
or be the tomboy no one expects and the the softy guy everyone hopes to meet.

Gender Queer means you are -not limited- by male or female.
the only Male or Female "limit" you are subject to, is whichever you decide to seek out if you want love, and how to go about bonding with them.  

FireSeraph5

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:47 pm
Captain Kissel

So... does being genderqueer mean I don't have an identity?

No- it doesn't mean you don't have an identity, but it's also not very specific either. cat_3nodding

I'm pretty sure that Genderqueer is an umbrella term- it includes a bunch of other non-cis/non-binary identities, and can also be it's own kind of label.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:52 pm
FireSeraph5
If You've decided you are GQ, why look for a singular identity when you have Many?
The only good answer to that completely depends on them- and if they're looking for a singular gender-identity it would be because that's how they are and they may not be familiar enough with gender to be able to articulate it. cat_3nodding

Quote:
you can be the tough and rumble guy or the sensitive and compassionate girl.
or be the tomboy no one expects and the the softy guy everyone hopes to meet.
They could be none of those things too- sometimes gender identities aren't set within the binary.

Quote:
Gender Queer means you are -not limited- by male or female.

I think this kind of approach can be harmful sometimes- there are plenty of cis-gendered people who don't feel limited at all, so it can be important to treat them with the same respect we want to be treated with by not implying they're "limited" and thus "less".

Quote:
the only Male or Female "limit" you are subject to, is whichever you decide to seek out if you want love, and how to go about bonding with them.
I'm sorry- but I couldn't quite understand this. It would really help me if you could rephrase it.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:57 pm
well, i do identify as female, but i don't exactly feel totally female at the same time. like female/(insert whatever here). i've never thought of myself as male, though.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:26 pm
Dancehall Hysteria
well, i do identify as female, but i don't exactly feel totally female at the same time. like female/(insert whatever here). i've never thought of myself as male, though.
Are you familiar with "G-Factor Type"?  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:52 pm
Esiris
Dancehall Hysteria

no. but explain, it sounds interesting.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:25 am
Dancehall Hysteria
Esiris
Dancehall Hysteria

no. but explain, it sounds interesting.

In the same way that the Kinsey scale described a diachotomy between Straight and Gay, the G-Factor Type can describe gender on a scale between masculine and feminine.

The drawback to the scales is that they don't describe people who fall outside of the most common two poles, but other than that they're pretty useful.

I think I remember reading that exceptionally few people fall on the two extreme ends of the masculine/feminine spectrum- so feeling feminine and identifying as cis doesn't automatically mean everything is pink and Barbie any more than being cis and masculine means that everything is GI Joe and blue.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

FireSeraph5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:49 am
Esiris
Quote:
I'm sorry- but I couldn't quite understand this. It would really help me if you could rephrase it.

Basically, if TC decided that they are indeed GQ, then they're only restriction on Male or Female is whatever love interest they would seek.

As i said last post. IRL i am -physically- male, but i am unsure if a am GQ or Transgendered, either way i know this: i want a woman at my side. That is my only Male or Female "limitation". that is what i meant.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:12 am
When I was little I always used to be like a boy. I always hated myself for being a girl because I felt like I was weaker, But now I can understand that i'm happier being a girl than a boy.  

On_A_Cold_Stormy_Night

Beloved Phantom

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:29 am
Your identity would be how you feel. I think it is an umbrella term that falls under the transgender category, you just don't have specific gender or feel that you aren't a boy or girl (maybe it changes back and forth for some or feel like you have a different gender altogether or a mix of both. Only you yourself knows how you feel).

Gender identity and sexuality is part of you, but not your whole identity, you don't even have to label yourself if you don't want to.

Technically I am most likely an intersex demisexual panromantic female (though sometimes I feel like a mix of both or more masculine), but is easier label myself as such. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:55 am
FireSeraph5

Basically, if TC decided that they are indeed GQ, then they're only restriction on Male or Female is whatever love interest they would seek.
I don't think it is- for one, it's mishmashing gender and orientation- which I don't think is fair, and then there are plenty of people who are pansexual, on both binary genders, who will take a lover who is genderqueer.

Quote:
As i said last post. IRL i am -physically- male, but i am unsure if a am GQ or Transgendered, either way i know this: i want a woman at my side. That is my only Male or Female "limitation". that is what i meant.
Ah- see, I don't see that as having anything to do with gender at all, that's about orientation. I also think it is kind of limiting and binary-centered because they could realize they are ok with a partner who isn't binary.

Playboy Karasu Uchiha
Your identity would be how you feel. I think it is an umbrella term that falls under the transgender category, you just don't have specific gender or feel that you aren't a boy or girl (maybe it changes back and forth for some or feel like you have a different gender altogether or a mix of both. Only you yourself knows how you feel).

Switching back and fourth is also known as gender fluid, the completely different gender could be either agendered or 3rd gendered and a mix of both genders is bigendered.

Quote:
Technically I am most likely an intersex demisexual panromantic female (though sometimes I feel like a mix of both or more masculine), but is easier label myself as such. sweatdrop
Have I mentioned lately how much I adore you? cat_whee  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:53 pm
Esiris
FireSeraph5

I don't think it is- for one, it's mishmashing gender and orientation- which I don't think is fair, and then there are plenty of people who are pansexual, on both binary genders, who will take a lover who is genderqueer.

Quote:
Ah- see, I don't see that as having anything to do with gender at all, that's about orientation. I also think it is kind of limiting and binary-centered because they could realize they are ok with a partner who isn't binary.

Playboy Karasu Uchiha

Switching back and fourth is also known as gender fluid, the completely different gender could be either agendered or 3rd gendered and a mix of both genders is bigendered.

Quote:
Have I mentioned lately how much I adore you? cat_whee

I still have a lot to learn. 3nodding

Aw, no but thanks. ^^  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out