Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Oohhhh my family makes me mad! (more 'it's just an animal-) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:57 pm
rage. It's not even the 'it's just an animal' thing. It's 'it's just a snake'.
My snake had a stuck shed. She had a stuck shed prior to this stuck shed. I thought I'd gotten all of it off but it got stuck at the very, very tip of her tail. I noticed a little too late. Her tail had darkened in one area and when I examined it closely I noticed there was a bunch of stuck skin there.

I was in the process of gettign THIS stuck shed off, so I did what I did with the rest of it. I rubbed it down with a wet cloth. And then her tail came off.. Not her whole tail, just the end of it. But now the bone is exposed and that could present all kind of infection. There's nothing much I can do for it except put antisceptic s**t on it.

Someone recommended diluted iodine. This is where it gets me mad.

I called my mom, asked if she could stop by walgreens on the way home from work to get some iodine. She's nosy so she asked why, and when I told her she was all.

"Uhh, it's a snake. It will be fine." I told her it was to help stop infection and she was all "I'm not getting iodine for a snake."

I get so sick of people saying 'it's a snake ,it's a snake' like, snakes are ******** super animals. They're not. They're pretty fragile in my opinion.

"it's cold? oh it's a snake it can handle it."

idiots.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:28 pm
I had something similar happen to my dragon when I first got him, the very tip of his tail fell off because something that happened before I bought him, either a stuck shed, but I think it was a n** from another dragon. If there is actual bone showing I think it would be best to get the snake to the vet if possible but it sounds as if that might not be an option. On my dragon there was no bone showing and I treated him at home. The iodine is the right idea... dilute it in water and soak the affected area. The other thing to do is use triple antibiotic on it .. the kind without the extra ingredient for pain and the cream may be better than the ointment if you can find it (but I had a hard time finding it my area!) Make sure to keep everything EXTRA clean and don't use any loose substrates like sand of bark or anything, use something that you change often, paper towels are probably best. I'm sorry your family doesn't understand, even if they don't like snakes, it's still a living thing. The good news is iodine, antibiotic cream and paper towels are cheap so hopefully even if you can't get them to help you with it you can find a way to get the supplies. I hope it all works out.  

imderanged

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:44 pm
imderanged
I had something similar happen to my dragon when I first got him, the very tip of his tail fell off because something that happened before I bought him, either a stuck shed, but I think it was a n** from another dragon. If there is actual bone showing I think it would be best to get the snake to the vet if possible but it sounds as if that might not be an option. On my dragon there was no bone showing and I treated him at home. The iodine is the right idea... dilute it in water and soak the affected area. The other thing to do is use triple antibiotic on it .. the kind without the extra ingredient for pain and the cream may be better than the ointment if you can find it (but I had a hard time finding it my area!) Make sure to keep everything EXTRA clean and don't use any loose substrates like sand of bark or anything, use something that you change often, paper towels are probably best. I'm sorry your family doesn't understand, even if they don't like snakes, it's still a living thing. The good news is iodine, antibiotic cream and paper towels are cheap so hopefully even if you can't get them to help you with it you can find a way to get the supplies. I hope it all works out.

I'm not entirely sure if it's bone or not, it just..looks strange.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Not my snake but do you see the tiny tiny tip of the tail where it's kind of white? That's what's missing, and she's a baby. There really isn't anything that can be done vet wise because the wound is just THAT small.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:21 pm
User Image
This is what Vlad's tail looked like when the tip fell off. There is a "whitish" spot, but it was not bone. Maybe this is like what you see? I did online research before I decided on a treatment plan and we had good luck with Vlad's tail healing up by following the treatment I described. i ended up not even having to take him to the vet. I think the plan should work for your snake as well. If MORE of the tail turns black he does need a vet though. Good Luck!  

imderanged

vampireneko57

Vampiric Neko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:22 pm
I don't honestly understand why your mom thought the snake would be okay. Snakes, just like other animals, can get infections.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:07 am
Im not sure if this was states previously but

If your snake or other reptile accumulates a bunch of sheds around the tail as the snake grows the tip of the tail begins to get the blood flow cut off causing the tissue at the tip around it to die.  

imabadspeler

Magnetic Prophet

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:55 pm
see, even if she thinks it's just a snake...it's JUST iodine. Not like your beggin her to rush to the vet with you and spend a lot of money, my god, like the family medicine cabinet wouldn't benifit from having some iodine in it rolleyes

Plus, again, even if it is just a snake, it's about what it means to YOU not to her. And how aweful you would feel if anything bad happened.

My grandmother is like that. I lie about the cost of pet food. Because she thinks the grocery food is overpriced. When she gives me money, she makes me promise not to spend it on my dog. To me that's like saying, stop spending money on your kids. Hey, if that's what makes you happy, who are they to say you shouldn't  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:26 pm
I hope the snake is ok, but if your really concerned about it I'd take it to a vet and get it checked out to see if they could give you something since the stuff came off.  

NadiaGem

6,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:43 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
see, even if she thinks it's just a snake...it's JUST iodine. Not like your beggin her to rush to the vet with you and spend a lot of money, my god, like the family medicine cabinet wouldn't benifit from having some iodine in it rolleyes

Plus, again, even if it is just a snake, it's about what it means to YOU not to her. And how aweful you would feel if anything bad happened.

My grandmother is like that. I lie about the cost of pet food. Because she thinks the grocery food is overpriced. When she gives me money, she makes me promise not to spend it on my dog. To me that's like saying, stop spending money on your kids. Hey, if that's what makes you happy, who are they to say you shouldn't

the whole vet thing has been the case before, too. I also have to beg my family to help my animals when they need to go to the vet. Even if it's just a ride up there.
I had another snake who was dying right in front of me and it took hours to finally get my mom to agree to take her to the vet, and when she got there she looked at the receptionist and told her it was so stupid to take a snake to the vet. The receptionist gave her such a stink eye and then completely disregarded the comment when she spoke again.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:43 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

my grandmother is the same way, she hates reptiles and always tells me to never spend money she gives me on reptile stuff. i always do. thats how i got my ball python much to her displeasure. i made sure to let her know it was with the money she gave me for my birthday

my dad has that its just a *insters species* attitude but he understands that my animals mean alot to me so he ends up paying for the more expensive vet stuff for them.  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:54 am
Shanna66
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

my grandmother is the same way, she hates reptiles and always tells me to never spend money she gives me on reptile stuff. i always do. thats how i got my ball python much to her displeasure. i made sure to let her know it was with the money she gave me for my birthday

my dad has that its just a *insters species* attitude but he understands that my animals mean alot to me so he ends up paying for the more expensive vet stuff for them.

My grandmother is similar too. She is terrified of snakes and won't even come up our driveway anymore because I got one, when we have had wild ones outside the whole time that she'd be in more danger from than a pet one that is inside of a terrarium that it cannot escape from. Worse yet, she even tried to convince me to release it into the wild. I'm like "WTF?! That's illegal and cruel!" (I didn't actually say that, but I was tempted... >.< ) She MIGHT be able to fend for herself, but she's so human friendly, and she's not a color that would be able to blend in with the environment, so she'd stand out to her predators like a sore thumb. It's just as bad as going up to a parent and asking them to kick their child out and hope their child is able to fend for itself... >.< I really don't understand why people have the "it's just a snake" or "it's just an animal" mentality...

@ iDiru: I hope you can get it taken care of and that her tail heals without issue.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:04 am
CrissAngelLover12345
Shanna66
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

My grandmother is similar too. She is terrified of snakes and won't even come up our driveway anymore because I got one, when we have had wild ones outside the whole time that she'd be in more danger from than a pet one that is inside of a terrarium that it cannot escape from. Worse yet, she even tried to convince me to release it into the wild. I'm like "WTF?! That's illegal and cruel!" (I didn't actually say that, but I was tempted... >.< ) She MIGHT be able to fend for herself, but she's so human friendly, and she's not a color that would be able to blend in with the environment, so she'd stand out to her predators like a sore thumb. It's just as bad as going up to a parent and asking them to kick their child out and hope their child is able to fend for itself... >.< I really don't understand why people have the "it's just a snake" or "it's just an animal" mentality...

@ iDiru: I hope you can get it taken care of and that her tail heals without issue.

i know plenty of people who get corn snakes from the pet store and keep them for a couple years then release them in the wild when they are fully grown. they think its ok since its a native species but its not far to the animal at all  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:40 am
Shanna66
CrissAngelLover12345
Shanna66
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

i know plenty of people who get corn snakes from the pet store and keep them for a couple years then release them in the wild when they are fully grown. they think its ok since its a native species but its not far to the animal at all

It's not fair at all to the animal. Why get an animal if you're not planning on taking care of it for its entire life span? I can understand if something comes up that keeps you from being able to take care of it, but then find it a new home. I don't understand people who have this mindset what so ever...  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:45 am
CrissAngelLover12345
Shanna66
CrissAngelLover12345
Shanna66
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

It's not fair at all to the animal. Why get an animal if you're not planning on taking care of it for its entire life span? I can understand if something comes up that keeps you from being able to take care of it, but then find it a new home. I don't understand people who have this mindset what so ever...

me niether. i guess its just because baby animals are cute but then grow up? idk, when i get an animal its because i want the adult animal, the baby stage is just a bonus and im not all that upset if i miss it.

i hear that kind of thing is really common with people who keep primates since ones they go though theit puberty they start getting a bit too much to handle for alot of peope, but a simple google search or asking the breeder will tell you that much information so the keepers cant really claim ignorance unless they are dumb enough to buy a chimp without doing any research  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:27 am
Shanna66
CrissAngelLover12345
Shanna66
CrissAngelLover12345
Shanna66
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

me niether. i guess its just because baby animals are cute but then grow up? idk, when i get an animal its because i want the adult animal, the baby stage is just a bonus and im not all that upset if i miss it.

i hear that kind of thing is really common with people who keep primates since ones they go though theit puberty they start getting a bit too much to handle for alot of peope, but a simple google search or asking the breeder will tell you that much information so the keepers cant really claim ignorance unless they are dumb enough to buy a chimp without doing any research

Unfortunately, there are too many people out there who buy pets without doing any research on the animal, which is also not fair on the animal... If they don't do the research, they have no room to claim ignorance. There are so many ways to get information on how to properly take care of any animal available. I wish everyone would do research on any pet they are going to get, even if they think they know how to take care of it before they get it to make sure they are willing to take care of it through every life stage and phase they might go through. I also wish people would stop getting an animal just because it's cute as a baby and then lose interest when it grows up. If I get an animal, I too get it because I want the adult stage, and the baby stage is a bonus as well. I also make sure I'm willing to put in the time and energy on its care and training.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff