Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
I have a question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

musasgal

Stellar Helper

20,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Battery 500
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:05 pm
You know one of the things we have to do: that we have to tithe 10% of what we earn to God right? I mean, it's a requirement of course and God will multiply it threefold, and that is what we recieve back. But for me, it doesn't seem right at this point of time.

Is it wrong to tithe when you feel it doesn't feel right at the moment? I'm more of a "trust your feelings/heart" kind of girl. At this point of time, I feel pressured to do so, even when I have other expenses to take care of (payback, board, shopping etc).

Can someone please shed some light on this?
Thanks.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:24 pm
I read something interesting about that.
I feel things should never be forced upon anyone.
It kind of quenches the joy of giving if it is by force you are made to.
Hope this helps.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Many Christians struggle with the issue of tithing. In some churches tithing is over-emphasized. At the same time, many Christians refuse to submit to the biblical exhortations about making offerings to the Lord. Tithing/giving is intended to be a joy and a blessing. Sadly, that is sometimes not the case in the church today.

Tithing is an Old Testament concept. The tithe was a requirement of the law in which all Israelites were to give 10 percent of everything they earned and grew to the Tabernacle/Temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5). In fact, the Old Testament Law required multiple tithes which would have pushed the total to around 23.3 percent, not the 10 percent which is generally considered the tithe amount today. Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites in the sacrificial system. The New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends, that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. Paul states that believers should set aside a portion of their income in order to support the church (1 Corinthians 16:1-2).

The New Testament nowhere designates a percentage of income a person should set aside, but only says it is to be “in keeping with income” (1 Corinthians 16:2). Some in the Christian church have taken the 10 percent figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving. The New Testament talks about the importance and benefits of giving. We are to give as we are able. Sometimes that means giving more than 10 percent; sometimes that may mean giving less. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the church. Every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom in the matter of participating in tithing and/or how much to give (James 1:5). Above all, all tithes and offerings should be given with pure motives and an attitude of worship to God and service to the body of Christ. “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

musasgal

Stellar Helper

20,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Battery 500
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:59 pm
Garland-Green
Hope this helps.

Many Christians struggle with the issue of tithing. In some churches tithing is over-emphasized. At the same time, many Christians refuse to submit to the biblical exhortations about making offerings to the Lord. Tithing/giving is intended to be a joy and a blessing. Sadly, that is sometimes not the case in the church today.

Tithing is an Old Testament concept. The tithe was a requirement of the law in which all Israelites were to give 10 percent of everything they earned and grew to the Tabernacle/Temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5). In fact, the Old Testament Law required multiple tithes which would have pushed the total to around 23.3 percent, not the 10 percent which is generally considered the tithe amount today. Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites in the sacrificial system. The New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends, that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. Paul states that believers should set aside a portion of their income in order to support the church (1 Corinthians 16:1-2).

The New Testament nowhere designates a percentage of income a person should set aside, but only says it is to be “in keeping with income” (1 Corinthians 16:2). Some in the Christian church have taken the 10 percent figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving. The New Testament talks about the importance and benefits of giving. We are to give as we are able. Sometimes that means giving more than 10 percent; sometimes that may mean giving less. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the church. Every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom in the matter of participating in tithing and/or how much to give (James 1:5). Above all, all tithes and offerings should be given with pure motives and an attitude of worship to God and service to the body of Christ. “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).

That helps alot, and I agree with it.
I mean, God will let me know when it's time to tithe, but being told over and over again to start is really putting me off big time, especially if you are trying to cut out the wants and leaving on the needs.

And I also want to put a layby on for this winter (since the prices are SUPER CHEAP before the winter season starts) and that's a huge priotiy in the moment, then Easter Camp, but it now seems that it's the other way around (rego and getting the money by the end of this month).....and I have NO IDEA what to do about this....since I want to resume payback in a forthnight's time (my aunty needs a new chair and needs the money pronto)  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:19 am
To tithe is great. I also believe that before you tithe, you should pray and look into the ministry or cause you choose to tithe to just to make sure you are truly doing the right thing. I haven't tithed to any church or cause lately because I haven't found anything I agree with and would want to support.

I've never heard about tithing 10%, but I believe that tithing an amount you feel comfortable with. If you also don't tithe with a ministry or cause you may not support or feel right doing then it isn't in your heart to tithe then I think it's not of much use if your heart isn't in it.

I would say to pray and make sure what you are doing is right with you and with God. Concentrate on the subject for a while and truly think about it. It may take a little time, but hopefully you get it all figured out smile  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

musasgal

Stellar Helper

20,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Battery 500
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:56 am
Aquatic_blue
To tithe is great. I also believe that before you tithe, you should pray and look into the ministry or cause you choose to tithe to just to make sure you are truly doing the right thing. I haven't tithed to any church or cause lately because I haven't found anything I agree with and would want to support.

I've never heard about tithing 10%, but I believe that tithing an amount you feel comfortable with. If you also don't tithe with a ministry or cause you may not support or feel right doing then it isn't in your heart to tithe then I think it's not of much use if your heart isn't in it.

I would say to pray and make sure what you are doing is right with you and with God. Concentrate on the subject for a while and truly think about it. It may take a little time, but hopefully you get it all figured out smile

Thanks girl!

I didn't know I have to look into it before choosing. But I know that when God says it's time, I'm ready.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:01 am
musasgal
Aquatic_blue

Thanks girl!

I didn't know I have to look into it before choosing. But I know that when God says it's time, I'm ready.

No problem smile and I'm glad to hear that.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

lgnacio Egnatius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:26 am
Garland-Green
Hope this helps.

So does that would mean that if i feel giving nothing then it's better to give nothing than to give a single penny?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:42 am
Ignacio Egnatius
Garland-Green
Hope this helps.

So does that would mean that if i feel giving nothing then it's better to give nothing than to give a single penny?
If you give something, but you don't really want to give anything then what you give is worthless. It is not the amount that you give, but the intentions behind it that matters. Look at the poor woman in the temple. She gave everything she had, and she gave it willingly. It was more worth then what those who had much but gave little gave. Is it a blessing for you if you are forced to depart with your penny?  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

lgnacio Egnatius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:04 am
Garland-Green
Ignacio Egnatius
Garland-Green
Hope this helps.

If you give something, but you don't really want to give anything then what you give is worthless. It is not the amount that you give, but the intentions behind it that matters. Look at the poor woman in the temple. She gave everything she had, and she gave it willingly. It was more worth then what those who had much but gave little gave. Is it a blessing for you if you are forced to depart with your penny?

haha no. but you know what.. sometimes i give though i know that i need the money (and sometimes i feel a little bad because it is a minus in my savings and like i can play 5 hours in an internet cafe for that XDD) but what i look forward is that, though my money is gone and i know that i can't buy this and that, i'm sure God will sustain my needs... is that ok?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:13 am
Ignacio Egnatius
Garland-Green
Ignacio Egnatius
Garland-Green
Hope this helps.

haha no. but you know what.. sometimes i give though i know that i need the money (and sometimes i feel a little bad because it is a minus in my savings and like i can play 5 hours in an internet cafe for that XDD) but what i look forward is that, though my money is gone and i know that i can't buy this and that, i'm sure God will sustain my needs... is that ok?
I would say that is ok. smile  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:28 am
Ignacio Egnatius
Garland-Green
Hope this helps.

I also have a great parable to go with that statement and it is a parable we all need to be reminded of at times and it matches your question I suppose Garland mentioned this situation earlier and here is the verse:

Mark 12:41 - 44 NIV:

Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.

Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”

*The widow's offering was worth more than those who could afford to tithe because she gave everything and I bet her heart was definitely in it!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:03 am
THIS IS FOR JESUS
by Cornelius R. Stam
Printer Friendly Version
Visiting a young pastor and his family some time ago I observed a touching example of true Christian stewardship.
It was nearly time to go to church, when the pastor's wife reached for a small box containing a few coins and handed it to her little boy. The coins represented the boy's earnings received for jobs done, good behaviour, etc.
Seriously the boy contemplated the contents of the box and took from it two dimes -- a substantial portion of the whole. Then looking up at me he said earnestly: "This is for Jesus".
Several Scriptural lessons about Christian giving came to mind as we observed this simple incident.
This little lad had already been taught the responsibility of participating systematically in supporting the work of the Lord (ICor.16:2). He gave "as he purposed in his heart"; no one suggested how much he ought to give (IICor.9:7). After thinking it over carefully, he gave sacrificially (IICor.8:7,9). He "proved the sincerity of his love" (IICor.8: cool , for it was with sincere, childlike affection that he said: "This is for Jesus".
Most of all, perhaps, his gift was a living demonstration of Paul's exhortation in Romans 12:8: "He that giveth, let him do it with simplicity". There was no fanfare, no boasting, no evidence of any feeling that he was doing a lot for the Lord; just an attitude of simple, humble satisfaction that he could join others in supporting the work of Christ.
How much we, who have too often been hardened through the years, can learn from children!  

Robotic Chewie2590

Aoife

Beloved Worshipper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:44 pm
I am just going to use this space to share a personal testimony.

When I got saved I was at home. I started reading the Bible at home. Nobody else in my family was saved yet, and I didn't really know anyone to pour into me, and I hadn't been to church in years. For some reason, it didn't occur to me even at first to go back to a church I don't think..lol, just me and God at my house, it was wonderful.

As I was reading the Bible, and I did start in the old testament, I read about tithing. The Lord convicted me to tithe. Of course, I said to Him, but where, I don't even go to church?!" and He simply whispered to my mind a simple "mmmhmm," as if to say, I know, get to one! I love how God speaks to us in a way we can clearly understand! so I tried to go back to my old Catholic church the next Sunday. I thought surely with the newly developed love for God and His Word I would be able to raptly pay attention in church now even though I couldn't before. LoL, I was wrong I found myself zoning out and not listening. I went home discouraged and talked to the lord about it...I said, if not there, then where?

On Saturday I opened up the phone book and said whoever answers the phone, that is where I will go, and I started calling non-denominational places. One places answered the phone and I just asked about the service and times and he said to me "You are lucky you caught me, there is usually no one here on a saturday" and that was my answer, I went the next day to this VERY different type of service than I was used to and KNEW I was where I was supposed to be

ANYWAY, I started tithing, just me paycheck which was minimal at the time. I laugh now at how it seemed like such a big deal them to give 10 a week.

Once my husband got saved, he said to me "should we tithe my check now?" and we started that, even though it seems CRAZY since we just didn't have it, but since it was the Lord telling us to, we did. I can't say it's always been easy, of course, our carnal minds want to sometimes say "but I need it more!" but really, God has been SO faithful. I can't imagine NOT doing what I know He spoke to me, and He sustains me.

I have more testimony about this I wanted to share now, but I have to go! I will try to add next time I get here!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:47 am
Normally i dont have money to give, so i always give God the sin i am struggling with and ask him to help me conquer it and to bless me.  

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items