Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Lizard tank liners

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

imderanged

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:35 am
I've been using shelf liners as the "substrate" in my bearded dragons tank, I'm pretty happy with the functionality of it, but I'm not crazy about it aesthetically. I was thinking of either using AstroTurf as a kind of washable carpet, or getting self adhesive vinyl tiles and doing the bottom of the tank and the back to match. I was wondering if anyone knows any reason why either of these would not be a good idea, or if anyone has tried it, how it worked out for them...THANK YOU.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:33 am
those are 2 subsrates that i see recomended for beardies on a few forums i luek around on so i would assume they are ok so long as sone of it has any glue  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:53 am
I don't see why either would be a bad choice. I'm most likely going to tile Lazy's new cage after building/waterproofing.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:06 pm
If you're talking the self adhesive tiles I wouldn't use them, the adhesives are not ment to be heated for long periods of time and can give off fumes. Plain tile I'd use fine.  

Akiska

imabadspeler

Magnetic Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:34 am
I always used brown paper bags in my leopard gecko tank. I cut the glued parts off obviously but one bag lined a 10 gallon nicely with a ton of trimming. I would imagine one bag could easily fit in a 20 gallon!

I always put paper towels under it too. It worked really well and looked natural.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:08 pm
I just use play sand for Rex sweatdrop  

Akari_32

imderanged

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:49 am
I went to home depot to look at the astro-turf and it looked like a really bad idea! Maybe there is a similar product out there that is safe, but what i found had all these loose bits and unraveled really easily. My dragon would definitely eat it! I went with the shelf liner and I also got a repti-carpet to try. I also got him a plastic plant & a background & spruced up his tank smile It was a early birthday present, he turned 2 years old April 1st heart He also got 2 big blue horn worms (his fav) on his birthday mrgreen  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games