Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
COMING OUT OF THE CLOSET Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

aleceil

Beloved Friend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:43 pm
To my mother and father, who love me very much.
I'm super scared to tell them on my 17th birthday *this may that I've been attracted to girls all my life, and not guys.

): My friends told me to wait till I'm an adult to tell my parents about my orientation in case "something" might happen. So instead I'll tell them when I'm 20 :c

is that bad? D:  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:52 pm
It depends on how it goes. I say, if you feel like this is your true self, and you KNOW for a fact, that girls are the only things that you are attracted to, then tell them. BUT even if you doubt yourself just for a split second, hold off on it.  

xXHazukashiiXx

5,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:34 pm
I think there is no "right" or "wrong" when it comes to coming out or not because we all have to make our own choices and only you can weigh the benefits and stuff and decide if it is worth it to you!  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:19 pm
Hmm....well that depends. If you have any doubts about your sexuality, wait.
If you're sure then think. If there's a real danger of something drastic happening, then wait.
If not, then tell them. You're 17 yes? So you're nearly an adult as it is.
But you definitly have to be sure. It's a big step.  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Hashtagihateit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:14 am
I turn 20 next month and I've yet to talk to it about it with either of them. I probably won't tell them until I move out, and maybe not even then. I won't make an effort to keep it from them, I'll just not bring it up.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:09 am
You can tell them if you want and I'm sure they'd appreciate it if you told them, but keep in mind that it's not required information to tell. You can keep it to yourself as long as you need to, hon. To be sure or even just to gather the courage.

What I did you could possibly do. I told my parents I MIGHT be BI and then months later I told them I was bi, then like half a year later I might be gay and so on until I told them the entire truth.
Sure, I was questioning the entire time, but I figured out my true interest half way through the process.  

Chrysolas

Jaydix

7,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:35 am
Pffffft. I came out when I was 14. I slapped everyone I met with my rainbows of SUPA-GAY along the way.

Suuuure, my parents hated me for 3 years, I physically fought with them, got put in a mental institution (twice) and I went to jail...but now I have a very close bond with my parents.

I just kept shoving my gay in their face. I fought and fought and fought.

But I'm sure not all coming out sequences are as quite dramatic. You'll just have to do it and see where it goes.

My advice. Don't suppress yourself. Don't lie to the world. You shouldn't have to hide who you are just because society doesn't like it. We as second class citizens have to fight for our rights and our culture.

In the end though, it's your choice. Just be stern on whatever you choose, and remember. You are not alone, and it does get better. <3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:17 am
-Divine Anathema-
Pffffft. I came out when I was 14. I slapped everyone I met with my rainbows of SUPA-GAY along the way.

Suuuure, my parents hated me for 3 years, I physically fought with them, got put in a mental institution (twice) and I went to jail...but now I have a very close bond with my parents.

But I'm sure not all coming out sequences are as quite dramatic. You'll just have to do it and see where it goes.

My advice. Don't suppress yourself. Don't lie to the world. You shouldn't have to hide who you are just because society doesn't like it. We as second class citizens have to fight for our rights and our culture.

In the end though, it's your choice. Just be stern on whatever you choose, and remember. You are not alone, and it does get better. <3

This is very much true. When I came out and began expressing myself, I never knew how much we were treated as second class citizens. In most of the states, we don't have the right to get married. But worse, that I just recently found out, in some states we aren't even a loud to adopt children as couples. Most states only allow single homosexuals to adopt.  

xXHazukashiiXx

5,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Shadow Ra Warrior

Unbeatable Tycoon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:01 am
Onato
It depends on how it goes. I say, if you feel like this is your true self, and you KNOW for a fact, that girls are the only things that you are attracted to, then tell them. BUT even if you doubt yourself just for a split second, hold off on it.

I agree; take your time on this especially if you know how your family feels about people who are attracted to the same sex.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:16 pm
Many people tend to wait until they are able to support themselves, whereas I do agree with this, if you can gauge what your parents reactions will be it, really does help. though if you really are close, it shouldn't matter and they should still love you regardless. Just throwing in my opinion.

My coming out to my parent was all of "Hey mom?" "Yeah?" "I'm gay." "Cool... you still have to do chores though."

My dad found out through some other means, but he was still cool about it, my family's all pretty chill about sexualities.

Regardless, I hope your coming out doesn't effect the relationship with your parents too much if at all. biggrin  

Reveladom

Omnipresent Loiterer

15,425 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Sailor Rapunzel

Enduring Sweetheart

11,500 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:22 pm
-Divine Anathema-

This. Made me laugh. Definitely made my day - thanks. o^.^o

...and agreed. Take your time and come out at your own pace, just don't hide who you are because that can lead to quite a self-destructive path.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:06 pm
Your life, your choices.

While we're all saying how things went for use my coming out to my mom went well. Though I couldn't say it, I kept getting too nervous, I just decided to write down several elements on the Periodic Chart I had in my folder and had her write down their symbols. They pelt out BISEXEUAL. Well, they had no element that was just an X so I made due.  

SilentVex

Married Hellraiser

11,725 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Champion Cardholder 100
  • Married 100

peterrrrrrr

Lonely Perfectionist

18,575 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:30 am
You should listen your friends, listen only yourself. Of course, your friend's advice can be useful, but you should make a decision by yourself.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:39 am
Ryura_Kayano
Yes, I am waiting until I move out until I tell my dad that I am not christian anymore.

Um.. I don't know how that deals with coming out the closet to your parents, but.. good on ya, mate?  

xXHazukashiiXx

5,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items