Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Friendly Debate
What are your views on Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Pollen Shed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:09 pm
Rednal
frankly, I don't really think it matters what you do in your sex life unless you're uncomfortable with it.

I know that you're talking about BDSM here, but what you've said is a very dangerous thing to say. If the above quote is a universal truth (as you have it presented here) then it is applicable to every situation. So then I could apply it to beastiality, *****, necrophilia, homosexuality, adultery etc. and it would be fine so long as I'm comfortable with it. But these things are clearly condemned in Scripture.

Your statement should say: "frankly, I don't really think it matters what you do in your sex life unless you're uncomfortable with it, and so long as it fits within the boundaries established by God, as found in the Bible." And if you can't truly say that with integrity, then there are spiritual issues which need sorting out.

Following God is our top priority. Sex shmex. It's all rubbish in comparison to knowing Christ (Phil. 3:8 ).

A wise man once told me that every action falls into 3 categories:

Smart, stupid, sin.

Smart = Whatever the Bible says to do.
Sin = Whatever the Bible says not to do.
Stupid = Everything else.

So, while BSDM isn't necessarily a sin, it also isn't smart. Are we seeking to glorify God? Or satisfy desire?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:27 pm
Good question.

"Everything is permissible - but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible - but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others." -1 Corinthians 10:23-24 (NIV)

The opening noted that she clearly got a benefit from the relationship she's currently in, including stability and a sense of security. Though... I'm a bit confused as to why you're talking about a universal interpretation of something when you've already acknowledged that I was talking in a limited sense.  

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

The Pollen Shed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:27 pm
Rednal
Good question.

"Everything is permissible - but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible - but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others." -1 Corinthians 10:23-24 (NIV)

The opening noted that she clearly got a benefit from the relationship she's currently in, including stability and a sense of security. Though... I'm a bit confused as to why you're talking about a universal interpretation of something when you've already acknowledged that I was talking in a limited sense.

I'm sorry, I wasn't being very clear. I meant to say that what you had said could be taken universally, and I offered better phrasing and the reason for its use. I'm not sure why I jumped on that; it's purely semantics. I guess I still struggle with seeking my identity in being a "sage," if you know what I mean.

Sigh, just when I thought I was making progress, haha. Oh well, God's faithful to keep growing me.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:55 pm
Well, taking things outside of their context is something of a habit among Christians. rofl I'm not too worried about it, though.

To clarify... *Rubs chin* Certain actions (bestiality, etc.) are actions that I think most people can agree are sinful. Outside of those, however, I think that people should have as much freedom in the bedroom as they want; for example, what position they use. It's very easy for people to assume that something that is different is bad, but I try to keep an open mind and look at where people are coming from in their lives. It's much easier to encourage people to live a Godly life if you accept them completely (including all of their flaws) rather than expecting them to perfectly conform to your idea of the ideal Christian as soon as you know they exist. Besides, I assume that adults are responsible for their choices and any consequences that may or may not exist as a result of those choices... so even if somebody is in the wrong for something like this, it is neither my place nor my right to judge. They're not causing any harm to me. It's something between them and God... and God is quite capable of dealing with things on His own. To try and usurp that would be a little arrogant of me, I think.

I'm not above giving some thoughts if someone asks for them, because they're specifically requesting my involvement, but I try to avoid going out of my way to lay down judgment on the behavior of others. ^^ One way or another, it'll all work out in the end.  

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:00 pm
1 Thessalonians 5

New King James Version (NKJV)

The Day of the Lord

5 But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. 2 For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. 3 For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape. 4 But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief. 5 You are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness. 6 Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night. 8 But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation. 9 For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10 who died for us, that whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him.

11 Therefore comfort each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing.

Various Exhortations

12 And we urge you, brethren, to recognize those who labor among you, and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, 13 and to esteem them very highly in love for their work’s sake. Be at peace among yourselves.

14 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn those who are unruly, comfort the fainthearted, uphold the weak, be patient with all. 15 See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good both for yourselves and for all.

16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not despise prophecies. 21 Test all things; hold fast what is good. 22 Abstain from every form of evil.

Blessing and Admonition

23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it.

25 Brethren, pray for us.

26 Greet all the brethren with a holy kiss.

27 I charge you by the Lord that this epistle be read to all the holy brethren.

28 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

There's another passage I want to add, but I can't remember it now. I shall post it when I remember, God willing.  
Friendly Debate

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff