Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
Life question

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Theblackitsune

Conservative Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:58 pm
cat_confused
I have a problem, I've been working on trying to relinquish a few eating habits that have kept me up at night. I'm no glutton per say but I eat even when I'm not hungry in particular... is that a bad sign? Lately it's been about 2 meals per day and I'm completely full and content, but sometimes I feel like having ... oh I don't know, a snack or two? like a medium sized loaf of French bread- (good stuff by the way!). But I called for Gods help in my life and began to sleep better. I used to stay up late and feel hungry, I knew that would happen every time. ^^" My main concern was deciding if eating just for pleasure was something I should avoid completely. Worries and doubt often tense my back and stress my heart. (Eating shouldn't be a substitute for happiness) I don't happen to over eat I've just been feeling as if I can't go on in my everyday life without overindulging just for taste, any advice on the matter? cat_surprised

Also....

I happen to be much closer to my family then ever before. But I have a strong love for playing video games. I used to be much of the gamer-(Who am I kidding? I still am!) I always want more though.... you could say I'm semi-spoiled. I may not ask for them but I really daydream about having them! Is this against my better judgement?
I love living in other peoples imaginations. To me there is almost no greater pleasure then living in another world. I prefer this escape from reality. I want to live a good life here... but I tend to fall into such deep pits of depression that I let myself escape by material possessions.
What to do?
Perhaps I could bring my handheld down and still spend time with my family... cat_rolleyes

hmm cat_smile

Please and thank you for any advice,
and may God bless you. <3  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:54 pm
I know what you mean. I been there before. But here are a few tips for controlling your eating habits. 1) Eat breakfast. 2) Do not snack out of boredom or emotions. 3) Eat a snack between breakfast and lunch, lunch to dinner, and dinner until bedtime. 4) When snacking, eat something like fruit, yogurt, protein bar, string cheese, or real beef jerky. 5) Try to limit your food intake. For me personally, I made it almost a rule for myself to take all I can eat on the first serving. I tried to stay away from second servings. 6) Cut back sweets. 7) Try to eat a well balance meals. 8 ) Exercise daily. 9) Get a good night's rest.

Also for the video games, tread cautiously on this one. My question for you: Are video games taking the place of God? We need to place God as our number 1 priority. You may have Him as the number 1 priority in your life, but if there is pleasure of living in another world than the One that created the perfect world for you, something isn't right. Remember, unless you are willing to forsake all that you have, including video games, you cannot be His Disciple. "So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:33

AnabaptistChristianGirl2

Theblackitsune

Conservative Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:01 pm
AnabaptistChristianGirl2
I know what you mean. I been there before. But here are a few tips for controlling your eating habits. 1) Eat breakfast. 2) Do not snack out of boredom or emotions. 3) Eat a snack between breakfast and lunch, lunch to dinner, and dinner until bedtime. 4) When snacking, eat something like fruit, yogurt, protein bar, string cheese, or real beef jerky. 5) Try to limit your food intake. For me personally, I made it almost a rule for myself to take all I can eat on the first serving. I tried to stay away from second servings. 6) Cut back sweets. 7) Try to eat a well balance meals. 8 ) Exercise daily. 9) Get a good night's rest.

Also for the video games, tread cautiously on this one. My question for you: Are video games taking the place of God? We need to place God as our number 1 priority. You may have Him as the number 1 priority in your life, but if there is pleasure of living in another world than the One that created the perfect world for you, something isn't right. Remember, unless you are willing to forsake all that you have, including video games, you cannot be His Disciple. "So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:33

Thank you, everything you have told me is completely do able,a logical sturdy plan.
To tell you the truth now I'm a little more worried about the video gaming problem. I love God but I don't happen to care for this world in particular...
I've been trying to change my viewpoints on this world but I usually feel there's nothing here for me-And it's not just the boredom of everyday mediocre life but I feel hopelessly lost living here. Difficult to explain.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:16 am
A lot of people eat late at night or eat out of boredom. Eating can be a psychological response to different emotions. Some eat when they're bored, some eat when they're depressed, etc.

Also, some people need more to eat than others so make sure you're getting enough calories and all that according to your lifestyle. I know that I have a bad eating schedule because my sleeping schedule has been off and I recently have gotten it back on track. I used to eat my first meal after noon and my second meal like at 10 p.m. and then I'd snack throughout the night.

Sometimes getting fiber and protein in your diet in appropriate amounts help because it stays in your system longer and having snacks is okay. Sometimes having 2-3 meals in the day and a snack in between won't hurt and can be okay for you and even good for you if you were hypoglycemic or something of that sort and some have to.

However, that is on a health and physical scale. Think hard about what you associate eating with whether it's boredom or sadness. I know sometimes if I am lazy I'll want to just snack on something. I used to chew gum to keep my appetite in check, but gum isn't good for you because it has aspartame and I am not supposed to have it anyway because of the neurological effects it can have. I haven't been able to find gum without aspartame. However, chewing on beeswax is a good alternative, but honeycomb is kind of expensive.

It's not bad to be a gamer or to have fun in this world as long as it's within moderation and something that God wouldn't mind. If you feel distracted from God's word and what your morals are or should be as a believer then that isn't the best thing. I know when I started truly reading my Bible, sometimes I would feel terrible if I missed a day of God's word and feel like pure laziness and feel like my day was wasted. However, I do still become distracted by the computer or video games from time to time, but the Bible often comes up in my mind and tells me, "Read me!" razz

It's easy to get distracted in this world. Sometimes we are in a home where perhaps the television is on all the time or someone is always asking us to go do something with them. Maybe when we sit down and study God's word, the phone rings and we think, "We have to answer that!" and get completely distracted from reading the word. Sometimes there are other distractions like paying bills, saving up for that new something we want, or getting something new and taking care of it more than we take care of ourselves. We all have different distractions. We just need to learn to not let those distractions interrupt our daily time with God and his word. If we would at least set aside 1 hour everyday to read God's word then that would be good. That hour when you read his word can go by so fast that you may feel like adding on another hour. The Bible is addicting like that razz But I tell you, I'd rather the Bible be my addiction than something that pulls me away from God.

Escaping from reality is something that I used to do all the time. For me when things in life were hard or difficult and I got depressed or angry, the computer was my comfort. The Bible should've been my comfort, but it wasn't when I grew up. I grew up in a denomination that I don't believe in anymore and I was lost because we didn't necessarily read the Bible every day. We didn't have Bible studies together often, just once in a blue moon. I felt like I was the family scapegoat so things felt rough for me and I was dealing with a lot of other issues, too. The Bible should've been my escape, but it wasn't and the computer was. My escape from reality made me feel comfortable in a rough world. I liked to write as well and writing about other worlds or lands or something totally unbelievable helped me. Sometimes we escape from the real world because we feel insecure about situations occuring in our life. I used to be on the computer from anywhere from 4 - 16 hours in one day alone. Sometimes I'd get bored out of my mind sitting at the computer all the time, but I didn't know what else to do with my time. If I knew God better, I could've done so much more with my time, even though it might not have been encouraged in my household to do so.

Spending time with family can be important at times. I remember I had a lot of issues with my parents. I felt that they were so unfair and that I was the scapegoat for their problems. I was the oldest and felt responsible for so much already. I had a medical condition that was at it's worst moments and that was hard for me to function in my family because I was the only one that had it. I felt like the outcast in my family. I found it unfair that I was blamed for everything and that my Mom would tell me things like that my hair was ugly because all I would do was brush it out and that I needed to style it. She told me one Sunday that the dress I chose to wear was hideous and ugly - even though she's the one that bought it for me. She would say things like that to me a lot and I feel that I bear emotional scars from the way my Mom had acted towards me and the distance helps, but I carry some scars from it. My Dad worked quite often, he would say that he doesn't work a lot and my Mom would say he doesn't work a lot, but he worked 72 hours a week and most people with a full-time job work 40, not 72. He only worked 3 days out of the whole week, but it sure felt like a lot and it hurt at times when he had to ask me what day my birthday was. It probably took a toll on me and my siblings at times when he was out being a hero and working on his own birthday and sometimes all of our birthdays or one or two of our birthdays.

Depression is an ugly thing and it takes something to get out of it. For me, it was a guy that I dated. He was a true jerk in the end and still is to women, but he never hit me and acted happy all the time, even when things were going wrong. Even though he broke up with me at the worst possible moment, he still helped me see that there's more to life than sitting around trying to escape it. When I got married and moved out of my house, and my husband encouraged me to read my Bible more and explained things to me in a way that I could actually understand, I would see the brighter side of things. Some days, I still ache because friends and family have fallen away or are slowly falling away from God and even though I can plant the seed and God is the only one that can make it grow and bring the sunshine and the rain. Some people in this world won't listen and we can't do anything about that.

Reading the Bible has helped me in more ways that I can even describe. I still have my every day struggles and problems, but when we know that God is there for us and we can lay all our sins and worries on Him and it's even better when we can truly be a servant of the Lord. I have a lot to work on, and only God will be able to help me with that, and as I keep trying to fix flaws in my life that I am truly able to fix - God is with me all the way. These days, I'm a lot slower to anger than I was when I grew up at my parents house and a lot more open minded towards others thoughts and feelings. I still get angry sometimes, but I've gotten a lot better over the years about remaining calm. Worrying is still something I need to work on and conquer with God's word because I worry about everything and as the Bible says, I can't add a single hour to my life by worrying.

In short, my advice to you is to pray, study God's word, and live by God's word and grow in faith every single day. When you read your Bible every day, you won't wither, but instead - you will grow.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items