Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Friendly Debate
Fortune Telling/Divination/Psychics Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:16 am
This is a topic that came up in my mind. I remember going to my high school graduation party and they had things set up in the school. They had someone that was a fortune teller. I remember her trying to convince us to write our names on a piece of paper so she could tell us our fortune and mentioned it as "fun" and never wanted to take "no" for an answer. There's other instances like this such as sometimes at carnivals, there will be a fortune teller and a lot of times they have a line to get in that tent or to that table. They are quite everywhere at events and people see them as "fun" and just "something to do". I've noticed in a few towns I have been in there have been events for psychics and sometimes exorcists have to be present.

I was curious what everyone thought about fortune telling, divination, and psychics because some people see it as a huge problem and others see it as fun and harmless. I thought it would be a fairly good debate topic.

In my view point:

I don't believe that fortune telling and divination are right in God's eyes. These types of things are playing with fire - especially divination that uses help from demonic spirits in order to tell someone's future. I believe that fortune tellers and those who practice divination are capable of messing with things on the spiritual level and taking personal information from you like your own handwriting, birth date, or first name and can try to use it for an evil purpose. In scripture, God plainly tells us not to dabble in such things and obviously he feels strongly about it if he is willing to cut a person off from their people for it.

Psychics or mediums, what they practice I don't agree with because it sounds dangerous to play around with spirits - demonic or not.

There is a lot of scripture on the matter, but I will only post a few:

Leviticus 19:31 NIV:

“‘Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 20:6 NIV:

“‘I will set my face against anyone who turns to mediums and spiritists to prostitute themselves by following them, and I will cut them off from their people.

Deuteronomy 18:10 - 13 NIV:

Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD; because of these same detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you. You must be blameless before the LORD your God.

1 Chronicles 10:13 - 14 NIV:

Saul died because he was unfaithful to the LORD; he did not keep the word of the LORD and even consulted a medium for guidance, and did not inquire of the LORD. So the LORD put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David son of Jesse.

2 Kings 21:5 - 6 NIV:

In the two courts of the temple of the LORD, he built altars to all the starry hosts. He sacrificed his own son in the fire, practiced divination, sought omens, and consulted mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the eyes of the LORD, arousing his anger.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:43 am
I used to do tarot just for fun in the younger days when I was on Gaia, and I really don't do it except for research purposes (like the project I meantoned with the admins).

I don't take it as like....oh what does this mean kind of thing, or take it seriously at all. But of course, I know it's absolutly NOT from God at all. I mean, on here, the prices varies, depending what thread you go to. There is even one that do it for free. eek

I mean, sure there is supernatural stuff (God's doing) but Satan is out there, trying his best to manipulate people through this kinds of trickery to make people feel good and wants more and more.

I will do something based on this with help with the warning signs during the spare time I have.  

musasgal

Stellar Helper

20,950 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Gems 500
  • Battery 500

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:34 am
In my opinion, i dont believe the fortune tellers have any gifts. I personally think that they are messing with demonic stuff, though i do believe some one can see know the future. I think God gives us the ability to know stuff before others. I cant recall what verse but in the bible i know that there was a person, or persons who had the ability of seeing the future. I myself, feel i have such a gift, not being able to see into the future, but i sometimes can tell by a feeling inside the actions of a person or if something bad will happen that day.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:56 am
911child
In my opinion, i dont believe the fortune tellers have any gifts. I personally think that they are messing with demonic stuff, though i do believe some one can see know the future. I think God gives us the ability to know stuff before others. I cant recall what verse but in the bible i know that there was a person, or persons who had the ability of seeing the future. I myself, feel i have such a gift, not being able to see into the future, but i sometimes can tell by a feeling inside the actions of a person or if something bad will happen that day.

The people that know the future in the Bible were called prophets smile they prophesied things for years like Jesus' death before he was born, the end of the world, that Saul would die, etc. etc. there are plenty of awesome prophets in the Bible smile Samuel is one of my favorites to read about because he consulted God and did God's will smile and I love the story how God first talked to Samuel and he thought it was his father talking to him razz it's found in 1 Samuel, I believe =D it's exciting to read!  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:02 am
Aquatic_blue
911child

The people that know the future in the Bible were called prophets smile they prophesied things for years like Jesus' death before he was born, the end of the world, that Saul would die, etc. etc. there are plenty of awesome prophets in the Bible smile Samuel is one of my favorites to read about because he consulted God and did God's will smile and I love the story how God first talked to Samuel and he thought it was his father talking to him razz it's found in 1 Samuel, I believe =D it's exciting to read!

Heh yeah, though i had one person in mind, but i think it was Saul. ^_^  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:09 am
911child
Aquatic_blue
911child

Hmm...I don't think Saul actually prophesied anything. Saul was the one that was anointed because Israel wanted a king and even though Samuel told them what would happen if they wanted a king and didn't choose God as their king then there would be consequences. God let it happen because Israel demanded it. So Saul was anointed and Samuel rebuked Saul and told him of things to come. Also, Samuel anointed David to be the rightful king and Saul became exceedingly angry and jealous of this. Saul tried many times to kill David, but David would not kill him because he was one of the Lord's anointed. There was a man in 2 Samuel that said that he killed Saul and even though he wasn't telling the truth - David had him put to death. Saul also met with the witch/medium of Endor who pulled Samuel's spirit up from the dead and Samuel told Saul everything that was to come. Saul was then incredibly frightened. David would also play the harp for Saul:

1 Samuel 16:23 KJV:

And it came to pass, when the evil spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took an harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:13 am
Aquatic_blue
911child
Aquatic_blue
911child

Hmm...I don't think Saul actually prophesied anything. Saul was the one that was anointed because Israel wanted a king and even though Samuel told them what would happen if they wanted a king and didn't choose God as their king then there would be consequences. God let it happen because Israel demanded it. So Saul was anointed and Samuel rebuked Saul and told him of things to come. Also, Samuel anointed David to be the rightful king and Saul became exceedingly angry and jealous of this. Saul tried many times to kill David, but David would not kill him because he was one of the Lord's anointed. There was a man in 2 Samuel that said that he killed Saul and even though he wasn't telling the truth - David had him put to death. Saul also met with the witch/medium of Endor who pulled Samuel's spirit up from the dead and Samuel told Saul everything that was to come. Saul was then incredibly frightened. David would also play the harp for Saul:

And it came to pass, when the evil spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took an harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him.

Heh good to know, though im terrible with names, especially the ones in the bible. Saul was the first name that came to mind.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:14 am
911child
Aquatic_blue
911child
Aquatic_blue
911child

Heh good to know, though im terrible with names, especially the ones in the bible. Saul was the first name that came to mind.

That's totally okay. When I was reading 1 Samuel - I kept seeing "Samuel" and "Saul" in the same sentence and sometimes I'd have to read it over and over to make sure I understood who was doing what or saying what xd it's a common mistake ^_^  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:17 am
Aquatic_blue
911child
Aquatic_blue
911child
Aquatic_blue
911child

That's totally okay. When I was reading 1 Samuel - I kept seeing "Samuel" and "Saul" in the same sentence and sometimes I'd have to read it over and over to make sure I understood who was doing what or saying what xd it's a common mistake ^_^

heh ^_^ i had to as well when i read.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:20 am
911child
Aquatic_blue
911child
Aquatic_blue
911child

heh ^_^ i had to as well when i read.

Lol xd so glad I'm not the only one ^_^  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Different...Very.

Distinct Dabbler

16,000 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Team Josie 25
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:13 pm
I've always said I want to visit a psychic or palm reader for fun one day, but I haven't had time or money to waste on it yet. I'm not sure if it's not Christian to go for entertainment, but I could see it being wrong. Maybe I'll knock it off my list of things to do. I just always figured it would be comical to watch them stare into a crystal ball or my palm all serious-like.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:09 pm
I am super opposed to so called psychics and fortune tellers and what-not, and I actively avoid ever reading daily horoscopes.

There is no point playing with demons or even leaving an open door for them to play with you.

I think we so often assume the spiritual world isn't real, but it IS and we as humans I think have an innate desire to seek it out. We can seek God and the holy or the opposite which you see so many seek, ghosts, poltergeists, etc...

I think Satan is a master at twisting the holy and making it unholy. I think people who have a gift or calling on them for prophesy and never use it for God are able to use it for the enemy of the Lord, however that being said, I do NOT think they can predict or tell you the future. The devil can only know your past and where he wants your future to go. Only God truly knows your future.

Having said all that though, I do still read the "fortune" in a fortune cookie. Nobody takes it seriously and it isn't exactly a "fortune" so much as a piece of useful advice or some words of wisdom usually.  

Aoife

Beloved Worshipper

Angel of the End

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:02 am
As someone who is naturally talented at all of the above, as someone who comes from a family with a strong psychic background, I have one word of advice for you:

Don't.

It is one thing to have dreams of things before they happen, to have visions, to have a sense and complete knowing of things both past, present and future without outside knowledge. God made us as Spiritual beings, we do not know what each one of us is capable of nor do we know the nature of our bodies, let alone our souls.

However, tarot cards, meditation, divination, crystal balls, runes, numerology... That is not you predicting the future. That is you opening your life, your mind, your heart, your soul, to the influence of Demonic forces that want you to rely upon those things rather than to trust in the Almighty God! You want knowledge, you want control, you want warning, when God himself tells us to live each day for the moment and to not worry about tomorrow! He takes care of the birds in the air and clothes the flowers in the fields, how much more will He love and care for us? He held us from the time we were in our mother's wombs; He is our Father.

Remember when bread fell from Heaven? When God's children tried to store it away for the next day, God turned it to dust. Because they were trusting in themselves rather than trusting in the God who provided for them in the first place. When you fall into these dark practices, I can tell you right now exactly what it will do... It will turn whatever you try to put back into dust. Trust in the Lord your God, not in your own foolish ways, you can't even number the hairs on your head. "For whoever tries to save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake shall find it."  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:57 pm
I have no doubt that some people have God-given psychic powers, and I don't see it as a problem. Just like some people are talented musicians, artists, dancers and whatnot, maybe it's the same sort of thing.

I don't think that being a medium is necessarily dangerous because for some people it brings them a lot of joy, but I assume it depends on the person. I obviously wouldn't know because I don't possess that sort of talent.

The thing that I find funny is that when I went through confirmation, we were taught that it was a sin to use horoscopes. I look at horoscopes all the time for fun. I see no harm in it, and they never seem to come true anyways. I never saw the danger in that as long as you don't put your heart and soul into it thinking they're accurate, so that puzzled me a bit.  

Smexi Chex Mix

Dapper Darling

10,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Popular Thread 100

Aporeia

Shameless Mystic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:51 pm
Practically everything anyone refers to as fortune telling these days is little else than illusory trickery that only "works" if you lack the skepticism to see how it is done.

Things like Tarot and the I-Ching are certainly interesting devices for those like myself who dabble in both strategy and illusion, but it is important to realize that their very nature is masked in a vague self-defining trick. What meaning that is derived from such is merely a matter of imagination applied to inconsequential things.

What bits I know about what I would actually refer to as psychic potential, I do not think is the same as this. It is far more mundane than this superstitious idea of summoning demons or the dead, instead relying more on perception of the senses. Prediction of the future in that regard is not too alien from piecing together the past. It's more of a realization of the present the motion of things, and people's intentions. What I've seen and experienced is far less of a "power" than merely paying attention.

Of course, even that is plagued with charlatans.  
Friendly Debate

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff