Submit

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:41 pm
I feel performing gender correction surgery on intersexual people before they can choose what gender they want to be should be illegal. :/

I just feel doing that to a person under 15 is wrong. It should wait until the person has a chance to get a full experience for each gender.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:34 am
Agreed. With something that permanent and life changing, it should wait until they're an adult and can make sound decisions for themselves. In their teen years, their decision is most likely to be influenced by peers and wanting to "fit in" and be "normal" rather than it being something they genuinely desire for themselves. Then of course, there's also cases where parents just want a boy or a girl so they have them assigned to what they personally see fit with no consideration for what the child may have wanted.

Of course, I also think circumcision on infants should be illegal for the same reason.

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Officer Hot-Pants

Dedicated Lunatic

9,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:13 am
Nothing bonds parent and child quite like "HOLY ********, WHAT DID YOU THAT FOR, YOU ******** PSYCHOPAHTH!?!?!?" Good thing we have no memory at that early a stage, else there'd be no such thing as the parent-child bond...

Generally speaking, 'ya don't wanna go making decisions to effect a person's entire life- based upon a personal preference- 45 seconds outta the womb.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:28 am
I really have to agree with this, but for more reasons than just the child's feelings and rights to make their own choice.

When children like that are born, nobody can really tell what characteristics the child is going to develop as they grow. They may end up with a deep or lighter more feminine voice. They have have a more masculine structure or they end up smaller. The hormones, even though they were born with both genders, may end up being with more male hormones or more female hormones. So, simply changing them when they are without even seeing how they develop can cause more confusion as they grow and begin to naturally develop their characteristics. They also haven't been able to choose their sexual preference relationship wise, so simply choosing a gender for them at birth can lead to distress as they do start to discover their preferences. Simply saying you're a male or you're a female now so this is what you naturally should like causes a lot of emotional problems.

A lot of children like this have ended up struggling with identity issues because their parents didn't even give them a chance to develop a personality before choosing a gender. It ends up hurting the child because often what the parent chose for outward appearance doesn't match up with who they want to be or who they really are.  

Captain Grace OMalley

4,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Befriended 100

bandaidd
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:37 am
This is a toughie, because:

1. 12 year olds THINK they know what they want.
2. transgendering experts say they get the best results if the surgeries are performed before puberty.

So, the adults I know personally who are either trangendered, in the process or wish they were... all wish they had started before puberty.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:03 am
But you can still get very good results later. Transgender is different from intersexual, though. But anyhow, spouse has two transgender friends - both of them male-to-female. They haven't had surgery and are only on hormone therapy. One of them started sometime during puberty {not before or even at the beginning of, but still in their teen years} and the other just recently started transitioning. I have no problem thinking of either of them as female and wouldn't have ever thought they were formerly male. Even the one who recently started transitioning seemed female enough to me... just very very tall eek But there are tall women out there, a handful in this very guild, so that didn't strike me as "masculine" in the least. Chances are, she would have been tall anyway.... just perhaps more Leko's height instead of Liada's rofl  

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Liada Trovaras

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:15 am
I was gonna say I'm tall but I ain't anywhere near Leko rofl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:19 am
Aren't you taller than Leko, though?

To my understanding, Leko and Faerie are both 6', Kits is my height {5'10"}, and Saber... well, I don't know how tall she is, but I've come to assume taller than me sweatdrop

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Liada Trovaras

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:30 am
In my high school years I was 6f. I reached up to 6'3" but recently around Jan when the subject came up again I was measured at 5'11" User Image so either I've been misjudging my height for a few years. Or someone screwed up the measurement. User Image I'm actually debating on asking my doc next time I go in for my annual for an precise measurement. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:35 am
Might be a good idea, or at least get a second opinion. Mir thought she had actually shrunk because of a mismeasurement recently. rofl  

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Captain Grace OMalley

4,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Befriended 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:39 am
I've completely missed where this conversation has gone.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:46 am
See that's what I'm thinking too!

Sorry Omalley, looks like I'm the next thread thief here.
sweatdrop *tries to push the topic back on track* For once I actually agree with Inaba on this particular subject. Most of the reasons have been pointed out here and considering I have a friend going through the hormone therapy as well I don't think there's anything more for me to add.  

Liada Trovaras

Officer Hot-Pants

Dedicated Lunatic

9,900 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:47 pm
Captain Grace OMalley
I really have to agree with this, but for more reasons than just the child's feelings and rights to make their own choice.

When children like that are born, nobody can really tell what characteristics the child is going to develop as they grow. They may end up with a deep or lighter more feminine voice. They have have a more masculine structure or they end up smaller. The hormones, even though they were born with both genders, may end up being with more male hormones or more female hormones. So, simply changing them when they are without even seeing how they develop can cause more confusion as they grow and begin to naturally develop their characteristics. They also haven't been able to choose their sexual preference relationship wise, so simply choosing a gender for them at birth can lead to distress as they do start to discover their preferences. Simply saying you're a male or you're a female now so this is what you naturally should like causes a lot of emotional problems.

A lot of children like this have ended up struggling with identity issues because their parents didn't even give them a chance to develop a personality before choosing a gender. It ends up hurting the child because often what the parent chose for outward appearance doesn't match up with who they want to be or who they really are.
sweatdrop Thank you for saying what I had started out intending to say, right up until I got distracted... Damn keys; all shiney and jangley... >.>  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:11 pm
Hight changes during the day and thats why in world records they measure your hight 3 times before getting an average hight marked into the world record.
now I need....What? dinner is ready, walks out the door.  

killafrog
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

Serious Conversations

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out