Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
History of Magic III (1/5) *New Class 2/10* Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:24 am
History of Magic
Professor Grayson Powell

User Image
Mondays and Wednesdays 11:00am to 11:45am
(Updated on Sundays)

Grayson Powell had his feet propped up on his desk as he was seated reading yet another book. Next to his desk was a globe the size of a stove, while a stone tablet covered with hieroglyphics sat on the other side. A list of rules and expectations was listed on the chalkboard behind him, and two bookcases sat on either side of it brimming with books. He seemed totally engrossed with what he was reading, and didn't seem to notice any students filing in.

Rules of the Classroom
Do not come to class late.
No disruptive behavior, fighting, or swearing.
Do not interrupt lecture.
Raise your hand if you have any questions.
Please feel free to speak openly only when open discussions are permitted.
Come to class prepared with paper, quills, and a copy of A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot.
Failure to comply with these rules will result in loss of points and/or detention!

History of Magic Knowledge List
Third Year
[ ] Muggle Witch Burnings
[ ] Nicolas Flamel
[ ] Newt Scamander
[ ] Goblin Rebellions

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:35 pm
User Image

Former Ravenclaw

Grayson lowered his book as students started to enter the class. He looked over them all, curious as to how they would take the class. On one hand, there were those that found the class to be quite boring, and on the other hand, there were those that found, like himself, that history was full of intrigue, if they looked through it properly. At least that was how he viewed it. More than likely, the majority would find this class boring and move on, but he hoped that there were a few that he'd be able spark a bit of interest in the subject.

He stood, placing the book he'd been reading down. "Hello class, and welcome to History of Magic. I am your new professor, Grayson Powell. As you all have had an entire summer to empty your heads of all that you may have learned over the last year, as well as give me a good chance to refresh your knowledge, today we will review what you have learned in the subject over the last year, before we go on to this year's topics. Please answer one at a time, and only cover one topic. That way, we can hopefully get everyone's participation in the class."  

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Pathological Kisser

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:23 pm
User Image

Of all of the useless classes, Hildy didn’t actually mind History of Magic. In a way, it was useful. Learning about past battles, duels and significant groups helped her understand the community that she was part of. And the big mistakes that witches and wizards had made that she would not be repeating. After living so isolated for her whole life and suddenly thrust into the center of the wizarding world with her grandparents, she felt left behind in understand everything that went on and the past events that they referred to.

Taking out her ink and parchment, she looked up and was surprised to see a new professor this year. He hardly looked the part of a historian. He was young and handsome, not to mention that he seemed very personable. She seemed to imagine that all history professors would look a bit more like…well, like Professor Binns. Calling on the class to each volunteer a bit about what they learned the year before, Hildy started to slip into her usual routine of keeping her head down and trying to fade into the background. But, she quickly stopped herself. That wasn’t her fate anymore. She had decided that. And this was a new year, a new professor. So she raised her hand, the first in the class to volunteer.

She didn’t have the sweetness of Belle’s boyfriend to make grand welcomes, so she left that task to him. Simply identifying herself and answering the question. “Hildegard Balford, sir. We studied the legend and reality of the Deathly Hallows. Bestowed, according to legend, by Death himself to the Peverell brothers. When they used magic to create a bridge in order to cross a river that would surely have been their death otherwise, Death offered these gifts as a trap to attain the lives that he felt he had been cheated of. The first two brothers chose unwisely and were soon claimed by their fate. The first brother had asked for a wand that could not be defeated. But when he bragged about his wand’s properties, he was murdered in his sleep for his treasure and death took the first brother. The second was desperate after the death of his beloved and attained the resurrection stone to bring her back. But as no such magic is possible, she was only a shadow of herself. In sorrow, he killed himself so that he could truly be reunited with her and death took the second brother. But the third brother had been wisest. He had suspected Death’s game and asked for a way to hide from death, his treasure was an Invisibility Cloak more powerful than any ever made, hiding him from all eyes, even Death’s.”

“He lived for many years under the cloak and Death searched for him without luck. Then, when he was ready. He took off the cloak and met Death as a friend, and so the third brother was taken. Each item came from the scene at the bridge, the Elder Wand broke from a nearby tree, the Resurrection Stone was a pebble plucked from the river and the Invisibility Cloak was Death’s own shroud. The story had many themes and possibly interpretations. It was considered a wonderful fable and only a few considered that it might be something more. But during the Second Wizarding War and Harry Potter’s fight against the Dark Lord, all three were found and assembled. Proving at least the existence of the items, though the origin is still unknown, only the fable as a basis. But the legend says that whoever possess all three has power over Death.”

Hildy felt quite proud of her summation. Beyond wanting to assert herself more in school, the proof of which was in her words, dripping with certainty and a slight vein of superiority, she did love the story. After all, she was a Slytherin, she appreciated cunning wisdom. She had heard many stories about the fate of the Hallows in Harry Potter’s hands, but she wanted to believe that they were still out in the world, somewhere. Certainly there was no way that he had just thrown the Resurrection Stone away. Not something that could be so useful. After all, if she had the Resurrection Stone and could see her mother, she could find out who had killed her. A question that had affected not only her life but all of her family.

And power over death? That was something that Hildy was very interested in.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:19 pm
User Image

Cathryn Rose O'Malley
13 Years OldThird YearRavenclawChaserSingle

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

To most students, History of Magic was one of the most unbearable subjects in existence. But Cathryn, being the Ravenclaw she was, was completely ready to learn. School had started again, and her brain had been bored all summer. Excitedly, she bounced into the classroom, her red curls a stark contrast to the cool blues and blacks of her uniform. She noticed that there was only one other student in the room, a Slytherin girl, who's name escaped Cat. The two did not know each other, so Cat took a seat in the front row, away from the girl.

Then she noticed the teacher, a new teacher this year, and her Head of House. He went by the name Professor Grayson Powell. Cat didn't know him too well, but hoped that that would change soon. He asked a question and the Slytherin answered it, giving a very good summary of the Deathly Hallows. Cat quickly racked her brain for another topic, the girl having stolen what she would say...

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

╔══════════════╗

Injuries/Illnesses: ------

Out of character: ------

Wearing

RowenaMaximus

╚══════════════╝

Dolphina Oceanus

Invisible Shapeshifter

Bug430

Desirable Millionaire

8,050 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:55 am
Quidditch is my life, but my knowledge is who I am.
User Image

Devin Cloud

Third YearHufflepuffChaser

⇳ ⇴ ⇵ ⇶ ⇷ ⇸ ⇹ ⇺ ⇻ ⇼ ⇽ ⇾ ⇿

Devin walked into the classroom, observing the newest history teacher that will be teaching them this year. He wasn't what Devin expected at all even. Devin always thought of a history teacher as an old, gray-haired, and monotonous teacher. He never knew why, but that image always was instilled in his head. Maybe it was because that sort of teacher was always explained by Arnold, Josh, and Crystal. That must've left Hogwarts before Devin's arrival. But Devin was glad to see that he had a very young teacher to teach him. He has come to learn that usually the younger the teacher got, the more excitement they instilled in the curiculum. Devin introduced, knowing what the topic he would explain is. Then he sat next to Hildy, who he had talked to in the library.

"Hello Professor Powell, welcome to Hogwarts. And last year, we learned of the Wandmaker's Family, the Ollivander family to be exact. We learned pretty much about their family history and how they had become so successful in their trade," Devin answered Professor Powell with his usual happiness. He was still thinking of the aftermath of Defense Against the Dark Arts, but he hoped that this class got his head away from that subject.

Some are born great, some achieve great, but some...have greatness thrust upon them.

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:17 am
So you wanna call me the devils' advocate
But you don't even know the half of it
I was raised to believe in miracles
My life is so cold
User Image

Third Year, Slytherin Seeker
╔════▄▀▄▀▄▄▀▄▀▄════════════════════════╗

With a delicate hum fluctuated past her lips upon an airy soprano note, Annabelle shuffled into the classroom on her heels, skipping with a boisterous tenacity and superiority that constantly emanated but hardly ever seemed to acknowledge herself. She nodded genuine and true, smiling to those she knew and even those she did not. She had introduced herself fully, with a curtsy and a smile plastered upon her lips. When she sat, she found herself in the center of the room, in the heat of all of the attention—where she strived to be.

It was with a coy smile that Annabelle had nodded enthusiastically to her friend, Hildegard, and reclined in her seat with her posture direct and purposeful and a brightness glowing within her pale green eyes. ”We also took note of the history and the author behind the children story book, The Tales of Beedle and the Bard, most are superficial stories meant to teach children discipline, loyalty, and honesty. One story in particular was found to hold more truth than most, The Tale of Three Brothers, like Hildy mentioned.” She nodded with a conclusion; a smile still brimming boldly from the blonde.

Desires: Perfection
Troubles: Patience

╚════════════════════════▄▀▄▀▄▄▀▄▀▄════╝

User Image

Does what I'm wearing seem to shock you?.....
Well, that's okay
'Cause what I'm thinking about you.....
is not okay
I've got it on my mind to change my ways
But I don't think I can be anything other than me
No, I don't think I can be anything other than me

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

LoverofMusic1568

Fashionable Prophet

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:29 pm
User Image
Seren Meinir
~Ravenclaw~Third Year~Relationship Status: Taken by Yia~

Seren walked into the classroom, and spotted Cathryn at the front of the room. Not knowing where else to sit, she decided to go and sit down next to her best friend. Thinking back to last year, Seren was drawing a blank, which was unusual for. For the most part the young Ravenclaw never forgot what had happened in the previous school year. But today was just not her day. Trying not to draw attetion to herself, Seren just listened to the other Third Years in her class talk about what they did during class.

Wearing

User Image

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:49 pm
User Image

Cathryn Rose O'Malley
13 Years OldThird YearRavenclawChaserSingle

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Having not seen the familiar blonde boy since last year, Cathryn was overjoyed to see Devin as he strode into the room."Devin!!!" She squealed. She almost got up to hug him, but restrained herself at the last second, remembering that they were in class. Instead, she contented herself to a violent wave. Then Seren appeared! "Hey, Seren!" Cat started to tell her best friend about Chase, but she stopped. Seren didn't seem like herself today... "Seren? Are you okay? You seem awfully quiet..." Cathryn prayed that nothing was wrong with the girl.

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

╔══════════════╗

Injuries/Illnesses: ------

Out of character: ------

Wearing

RowenaMaximus

╚══════════════╝

Dolphina Oceanus

Invisible Shapeshifter

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:11 am
User Image

Former Ravenclaw

Grayson walked into the classroom, looked around to see that everything was ready, and picked up a piece of chalk. He wrote on the chalkboard, and when finished, turned to regard the class as a whole.

Professor Powell
Muggle Witch Burnings

"Hello class. Last time, we went over the subjects you studied last year to refresh any knowledge you may have lost over the summer. Today, we are going to go ahead and study the witch burnings of the 1600's.

"Now, as you are very well aware, muggles nowadays don't know about the wizarding world, due to either ignoring magic when they see it or passing it off as merely fantasy for children. However, that was not always the case. The International Statute of Secrecy was only enacted relatively recently within the last several centuries, which of course hides magic from the rest of the world.

"However, wizards and muggles did coexist at some point. For the greater bit of history, they worked together. However, at some point muggles began to distrust wizards, and some even began to fear them. It culminated into the infamous witch burnings that basically ran like wildfire across the world.

"The witch burnings weren't specific in who they targeted. Mostly, they actually persecuted other muggles who they believed to be a witch. Unfortunately, that wasn't always the case. Many of the witches and wizards they grabbed were muggleborn, and they were unfortunate in that most of the time when they were captured, it was due to uncontrollable acts of random magic they had performed.

"Contrary to the name, burning wasn't the only way they got rid of witches. Stoning, throwing them off cliffs, and even drownings were also considered to be acceptable ways to get rid of witches. Most witches and wizards who were caught actually didn't die, as they were able to cast some form of magic to get them out of the situation. One witch in particular found it quite fun to get caught. Wendolyn the Weird actually was caught a grand total of forty-seven times, mostly in different guises, because she found that the tickling sensation of casting a fire-freezing charm was actually enjoyable."

He sat at the edge of his desk as he regarded the class with a bit of a grin. "As I'm sure you have questions, please feel free to ask them, or if you wish to discuss it, that's perfectly fine too."  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:22 pm
So you wanna call me the devils' advocate
But you don't even know the half of it
I was raised to believe in miracles
My life is so cold
User Image

Third Year, Slytherin Seeker
╔════▄▀▄▀▄▄▀▄▀▄════════════════════════╗

Quill, slosh of ink, and scribbles; it was all that the young blonde beauty had heard from all around her as she vigorously took notes. Well, most of which were notes, off on the sides or in the corners of her parchment, detailed doodles could be noted ranging from various snitches to dragons, and even a few mildly vague fairies. Sure, she knew that history had its importance, and she knew that to be without history would be to be without money—an utter failure. After all, her family words are ‘without money, all is in vain.’

When the professor had inquired the class for questions, Annabelle had ceased in her writing to glance around the room in silence. She was never the sort of girl who could conjure up a question for the sake of pleasing anyone—

Devin simply had a knack for wishing to understand everything about everything. And so, she glanced in his direction, eager to see what sort of theory he might have this time.

Desires: Perfection
Troubles: Patience

╚════════════════════════▄▀▄▀▄▄▀▄▀▄════╝

User Image

Does what I'm wearing seem to shock you?.....
Well, that's okay
'Cause what I'm thinking about you.....
is not okay
I've got it on my mind to change my ways
But I don't think I can be anything other than me
No, I don't think I can be anything other than me

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Pathological Kisser

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:04 pm
User Image

Hildy was thankful for History. She could let her mind rest and just take notes, reference her text and keep to herself. No demonstrations, no brewing, just notes. And, if she needed to just clock out for a little while, she could always get someone else’s notes. This weeks had been more than she had wanted to deal with. Beyond the relavation that Remington Nott was her biological father, there was another matter starting to peck at the back of her mind.

She didn’t think that it was Thayer Balford who sent her the note.

Though she had sent the letter to her uncle, the scrawled script on the ragged bit of parchment that returned did not look like his. She had compared it to his old letters and felt quite sure that a different hand had penned this short scrawl. Different. But not unknown. Reaching now, into her pocket, her fingers ran over the note and she felt a tug at her throat where a lump formed.

One father warning her to stay away from another.

The note, she was sure, was written by Marcus Nettlepot.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm
User Image

Devin Cloud

Devin walked into the classroom, not even a faint grin on his face. He was tired and everyone could see that. He had dark circles right under his eyes, as if he were some kind of racoon, but of course the circles weren't dark to that extent. He found his way over to the seat next to Annabelle, who seemed to be doodling on the corners of her notebook while notes were being taken. She still took notes, but she also let her mind wander to pictures of dragons, fairies, and other mystical creatures. Devin actually found it a tad amusing, because it showed she still had kid-like features, much like everyone else. Everyone always pictured the girl as perfect, but she definitely had her little quirks, and Devin knew them like the back of his hand. One of them just happened to be what he was seeing now. He loved her little quirks though, for they were cute at times.

Devin went on thinking of that subject for about a minute before class started. As the teacher stated, Devin found himself a tad intrigued, not being able to picture muggles and wizards coexisting in the same world without segregation and arguments. He wished that's how it was, but now, the muggles were too quick tempered and judgemental for the two to coexist in peace.

"So basically, the witch burnings were futile because: one; a real witch would be able to get herself out of it: and two; it killed more innocent than guilty," he said, just to make sure he understood the subject. He found it hard to believe that muggles would just jump to that kind of violence.

Some are born great, some achieve great, but some...have greatness thrust upon them.

Bug430

Desirable Millionaire

8,050 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:03 pm
User Image

Former Ravenclaw

Grayson nodded at Devin's response. "Actually, that's quite correct, Mr. Cloud. Muggles at that time were unable to recognise magic when they saw it, and those that did were few and far between. Needless to say, they did send many of their own to their deaths, convinced that they were doing the right thing. They were more reactionary than anything, and used mere guesswork to label victims. Heck, if I remember correctly, one method that was used was to search for a mole, claiming that if you had them, you were suckling the devil with it, and therefore were in league with him."  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:33 pm
User Image

≎≎≎≎≎≎≎≎

Grayson Powell
History of Magic Professor
Former Ravenclaw

≎≎≎≎≎≎≎≎

Now where did I put that wand?

Grayson walked into the classroom, excited to get the class started. He quickly wrote the topic for the day upon the board, and then turned to face the students. He grinned at them, more comfortable with teaching than he had been at the beginning of the year.

Professor Powell
Nicolas Flamel

"Hello again, class. Today the topic is Nicolas Flamel, renouned alchemist and quite possibly the longest lived wizard of all time.

"Nicolas Flamel (c. 1327 - c. 1992) was a well-known alchemist and only known maker of the Philosopher's Stone, a legendary substance with incredible powers. He was a close friend and partner with former Hogwarts School Headmaster Albus Dumbledore. He owed his considerable age to the Elixir of Life which he and his wife, Perenelle, created using the Stone. They were aged six hundred sixty-five and six hundred fifty-eight, respectively, at their time of deaths.

"Flamel is noted as an alchemist of considerable talent and as an opera-lover. It is said he enjoyed his later years living a quiet life in Devon. Although it is clear that he used the Elixir to greatly extend his life, it is not specified whether he used the Stone's powers to make himself greatly wealthy, as the Stone is also capable of turning any metal into gold.

"The danger of the Stone's existence was brought to light when Voldemort, with the help of Hogwarts Professor Quirinus Quirrell, was nearly successful in stealing it for the purpose of restoring Voldemort to physical form. However, his plan was thwarted by the efforts of Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Ron Weasley. Flamel agreed, along with Dumbledore, that the stone should be destroyed. With enough Elixir to set his affairs in order, it was expected that Flamel and his wife would die shortly thereafter.

"Now I know that some of you may have questions, so please feel free to ask them. However I do have a question for you. Would it be worth it to live forever and have endless amounts of money if you had the ability to do so?

----------------------------------
State: Teaching
OOC: Sorry this is late, just trying to catch back up.
----------------------------------

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Bug430

Desirable Millionaire

8,050 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:56 pm
User Image

Devin Cloud

Devin walked into the class and sat up front, just to make sure that he definitely payed attention. History of Magic could at times be boring, could be tedious, and definitely could get annoying, but he actually wanted to hear about this lesson. Nicholas Flamel, an alchemist, was always someone he wanted to learn about, and the fact that he was taking Alchemy also strengthened his desire to learn about Flamel. As Devin listened, he chuckled at the fact that he was lived in Devon, but he made sure it was to himself, and not audible to anyone else; well, unless they were next to him. When he finished the lecture, Devin, for once had no questions. He always had questions, but he honestly could not think of any. He already knew about the mirror, due to Professor Amorocho's lecture; so, he really didn't have anything he wanted to know.

Third Year Classes

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces