Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Fifth Year Classes
History of Magic V (1/4) *New Class 8/26* Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:14 am
History of Magic
Professor Grayson Powell

User Image
Thursday 8:00am to 8:45am
(Updated on Mondays)

Grayson Powell had his feet propped up on his desk as he was seated reading yet another book. Next to his desk was a globe the size of a stove, while a stone tablet covered with hieroglyphics sat on the other side. A list of rules and expectations was listed on the chalkboard behind him, and two bookcases sat on either side of it brimming with books. He seemed totally engrossed with what he was reading, and didn't seem to notice any students filing in.

Rules of the Classroom
Do not come to class late.
No disruptive behavior, fighting, or swearing.
Do not interrupt lecture.
Raise your hand if you have any questions.
Please feel free to speak openly only when open discussions are permitted.
Come to class prepared with paper, quills, and a copy of A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot.
Failure to comply with these rules will result in loss of points and/or detention!

History of Magic Knowledge List
Fifth Year
[ ] Albus Dumbledore
[ ] Harry Potter
[ ] Order of the Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:08 pm
User Image

Former Ravenclaw

Grayson watched over his book as his students entered the classroom. This year was OWLs for them, and they definitely needed to make sure that they were up to speed. He didn't know how much they knew, but it was his job to make sure they were prepared for the exams ahead. He was prepared to give it his all, allowing all the students to at least have a good chance with the exams.

"Hello class, and welcome to History of Magic. I am your new professor, Grayson Powell. As I am sure that you all know, this year marks your fifth year at Hogwarts, as well as the year that you take the OWLs. I expect that you all will be prepared for the exam, and that is why today and later on this year, we will be revisiting everything you have learned in this class. That way, I know precisely what to focus on for the exam. Today, I would like for each of you to please tell me about each topic that has thus been covered over your years in Hogwarts. One topic per student, and I wish to have everyone please give a response. It will help me to determine what we need to go over before the exams are here. Yes, I do understand that all of your other teachers are also probably giving you this same lecture, but that is so that you are prepared to face the exams and do the best you can in them."  

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Professor Tahiri

Liberal Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:44 pm
User Image
┏━━━━━━━━┓
Sato Aiko

Fifth Year Ravenclaw ▹ Prefect
┗━━━━━━━━┛

▷ I may be quiet, but I'm screaming at you in my mind. ◁

Aiko glided into the History of Magic classroom, wondering who the new Professor would be. She had heard that Professor Aslan had retired due to the stresses of the job. As she cleared the doorway, she spotted the man who had replaced the previous teacher. The man was handsome, not older than forty, with a knowledgeable look about him. Aiko glided to a stop near her desk and gave him a polite bow. "Hello Professor, I am Aiko Sato," she said and then took her seat at her desk. She arranged her writing implements in front of her and then took her notebook and textbook from her bag. When the Professor asked the class to recall something from previous years, Aiko's hand shot up, and she rose from her seat. "Last year, we learned about Tom Riddle and his eventual rise to become Lo.. Voldemort, the wizard who started two Wizarding Wars."

Out of Character: ...

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:24 pm
User Image

It was probably too early to tell, but he liked the new History of Magic professor. He was young and scholarly, but not dull or boring. Chase could appreciate that. He often surprised people with his intelligence and wit, because they didn’t associate those attributes with his flirtatiousness and mischievous behavior. So he liked that this man seemed to be more than just bookish. Sato, naturally was first to speak up.

When it came his turn, he shrugged and named something from last year as well. “Chase Balford, sir. We covered Herpo the Foul, who was a dark wizard from Ancient Greece. One of the first known dark wizards and the first that we have record of creating a Horcrux and is often credited with the creation of this process. He also is the first person to hatch a Basilisk and, as he was a Parseltongue, was the first recorded instance of taming a XXXXX beast. It is not known if his Horcrux was ever destroyed, so it is actually possible that a part of him is still alive today.”

Chase didn’t understand why Horcrux held appeal to some wizards. Death didn’t scare him, perhaps because he had been surrounded by it for so long. He had long since determined that he would live this life to the maximum and have no regrets when his day came. But hey, controlling an ‘untamable’ beast, that would be cool. If he was any better with animals, that was.

Pathological Kisser

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 5:55 pm
User Image

Grayson nodded as the two students replied to his request. "All right then," he said, "can anyone tell me about the previous years, or will we need to go over that later in the year?" He looked around to each of his students.  
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:11 pm
User Image
┏━━━━━━━━┓
Sato Aiko

┗━━━━━━━━┛

The young Japanese student smiled and nodded. "We have learned quiet a lot in the previous years of this class. For instance, in third year we learned about Newt Scamander and Nicholas Flamel, a famous alchemist. And before that,in second year, we learned about Beedle the Bard and the Ollivander family. Is that a sufficient answer, Professor Powell?"

Professor Tahiri

Liberal Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:05 am
User Image

Grayson Walked to the classroom and over to the chalkboard. He quickly wrote on the chalkboard and then turned to the class.

Professor Powell
Albus Dumbledore

"Hello again class, and welcome back. Today, we're going to discuss probably the most famous headmaster that ever served Hogwarts, as well as the rest of the wizarding world. Albus Dumbledore. Yes, I can hear some of you now wanting to dispute that claim, but that is the opinion of most people. We will try and keep an objective viewpoint however about the topic.

"Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorcerer, was the Transfiguration Professor, and later Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Professor Dumbledore also served as Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards and Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot. He was a half-blood wizard, the son of Percival and Kendra Dumbledore, and the elder brother of Aberforth and Ariana. His father died in Azkaban when Dumbledore was young, while his mother and sister were later accidentally killed. His early losses greatly affected him early on, even at his death, but in turn made him a better person. Albus Dumbledore was considered to be the most powerful wizard of his time. He was most famous for his defeat of Gellert Grindelwald, the discovery of the twelve uses of dragon's blood, and his work on alchemy with Nicolas Flamel.

"It was through Dumbledore that resistance to the rise of Lord Voldemort was formed, as it was he who founded and led both the first and second Order of the Phoenix. Due to the fact that he had a keen mind and legendary power, Dumbledore became the only wizard that Voldemort ever feared. He was the wielder and the master of the Elder Wand from 1945 until 1997 and considered by many as the greatest Headmaster to ever grace Hogwarts. As he was about to die by a cursed ring, he planned his own death with Severus Snape. Though he was no longer alive at the time, it was through Dumbledore's machinations that Voldemort was ultimately defeated and peace restored to the wizarding world. He is the only Headmaster that was laid to rest at Hogwarts. Albus Dumbledore's portrait still remains at Hogwarts."

He looked about the class, and continued. "Yes, I do realize that that was a generalization of the man, however to cover it all would take several classes, which is actually what I planned to do. Please, should you have any questions, I would be happy to discuss them."

((OOC: I apologize for this being a late post, but my internet was down until Friday. Thus, I'm trying to play catch up. Thankfully, this topic allows for me to break it up, which actually doesn't bother me. Information overload and all that.))  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:46 pm
User Image
┏━━━━━━━━┓
Sato Aiko

┗━━━━━━━━┛

The graceful steps of Aiko Sato carried her into the classroom for History of Magic class for the study of Albus Dumbledore. She sat down in her favorite seat and took out her note-taking equipment. When the Professor began his lecture, she took astute notes, documenting everything he said. When he asked if they had any questions, her hand shot into the air. "My question may come off as rude or unbecoming, so before I voice it, I must say I have nothing but respect for the man. He was an amazing wizard and contributed much to many fields. Now my question. You said that Albus Dumbledore defeated Gellert Grindelwald, but isn't it true that he also helped him to perform some of the dark deeds that he did? That Dumbledore himself was a dark wizard for a while?"

Professor Tahiri

Liberal Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:14 pm
User Image

Former Ravenclaw

Grayson smiled a bit. So there were people interested in finding out the particulars. "Actually, it is my understanding that Grindelwald and Dumbledore's relationship was actually a friendship, and he helped Gellert to research the Deathly Hallows. Grindelwald I believe stayed for a summer at Godric's Hollow, which is where Dumbledore came from, just to study the subject. They actually had a bit of a falling out, I believe, where the two of them fought and Grindelwald left. As to Dumbledore being a Dark wizard for a time, I believe he may have thought about it during that summer, but nothing ever came out of it."  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:56 pm
User Image

≎≎≎≎≎≎≎≎

Grayson Powell
History of Magic Professor
Former Ravenclaw

≎≎≎≎≎≎≎≎

Now where did I put that wand?

Grayson quickly walked into the classroom, ready to get the class started. He quickly wrote the topic of the day on the board, and made sure that the classroom was ready for the students. He then turned and watched as they walked in.

Professor Powell
Harry Potter

"Hello again, class. Today we're going to be Discussing Harry potter, perhaps one of the most famous wizards of the twentieth century. I am sure that all of you have heard of him, but this class will try and speak about him in a clinical view, so that facts and feelings won't intrude upon the topic.

"Harry James Potter (b. 31 July 1980) was a half-blood wizard, the only child and son of James Potter and Lily Potter (née Evans), and one of the most famous wizards of modern times. In an attempt to circumvent a prophecy that a boy born at the end of July 1980 would be able to defeat him, Voldemort tried to murder him when he was a toddler after murdering Harry's parents as they tried to protect him. This early attempt to vanquish Harry led to Voldemort's first defeat and the end of the First Wizarding War. One consequence of Lily's protection is that her orphaned son had to be raised by her only remaining blood relative, with her Muggle sister Petunia's family, where he was not welcomed or nurtured, but would stay alive, at least until he was seventeen years old. As the only known survivor of the Killing Curse up to that point, Harry was already famous before he arrived at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

"Early on his eleventh birthday, Harry learned from Rubeus Hagrid, the Hogwarts gamekeeper, that he was a wizard. He began attending Hogwarts in 1991 and was Sorted into Gryffindor house. While at school, Harry became best friends with Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger. He became the youngest Quidditch Seeker in over a century and eventually captain of his house's team, winning two Quidditch Cups.[12] He became even better known in his early years for protecting the Philosopher's Stone from Voldemort and saving Ron's sister Ginny Weasley from the Chamber of Secrets. In his fourth year, Harry won the Triwizard Tournament, although the competition ended in tragedy with the death of Cedric Diggory and the return of Voldemort. The next school year, Harry reluctantly founded Dumbledore's Army and fought in the Battle of the Department of Mysteries, during which he lost his godfather, Sirius Black, who was a father figure to him.

"Harry played a significant role in many other battles of the Second Wizarding War and hunted down and destroyed Voldemort's Horcruxes with Ron and Hermione. During the Battle of Hogwarts, he personally witnessed the deaths of Severus Snape and Fred Weasley, and learned that Remus Lupin, Nymphadora Tonks, Colin Creevey, and many others had fallen as well. He encountered Voldemort and sacrificed himself, knowing that that was the only way to destroy the fragment of Voldemort's soul that was inside him. In Harry's near-death experience after Voldemort cursed him in the forest clearing, Dumbledore gave Harry advice and background information on Voldemort. When told he could choose to live or to "move on", Harry chose to live, and after he awoke he confronted Voldemort, and defeated him.

"Harry is also notable for being the only known Master of Death, having united the three Deathly Hallows.

"After the war, Harry became an Auror and married Ginny, with whom he had three children: James Sirius who he named after his father and godfather, Albus Severus, named after Snape and Dumbledore, and Lily Luna, named after his mother and good friend Luna Lovegood. Harry was also named the godfather of Ted Lupin. He became Head of the Auror Office in 2007, and occasionally travelled to Hogwarts to deliver Defence Against the Dark Arts lectures.

"I'm sure that you know by now that you may discuss this if you wished, so just go ahead and ask any questions or feel free to add any points that may have been missed."

----------------------------------
State: Teaching
OOC: ...

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:27 am
User Image

≎≎≎≎≎≎≎≎

Grayson Powell
History of Magic Professor
Former Ravenclaw

≎≎≎≎≎≎≎≎

Now where did I put that wand?

Grayson watched over his book as his students entered the classroom. This year was OWLs for them, and they definitely needed to make sure that they were up to speed. He didn't know how much they knew, but it was his job to make sure they were prepared for the exams ahead. He was prepared to give it his all, allowing all the students to at least have a good chance with the exams.

""Hello class, and welcome back to History of Magic. As I am sure that you all know, this year marks your fifth year at Hogwarts, as well as the year that you take the OWLs. I expect that you all will be prepared for the exam, and that is why today and later on this year, we will be revisiting everything you have learned in this class. That way, I know precisely what to focus on for the exam. Today, I would like for each of you to please tell me about each topic that has thus been covered over your years in Hogwarts. One topic per student, and I wish to have everyone please give a response. It will help me to determine what we need to go over before the exams are here. Yes, I do understand that all of your other teachers are also probably giving you this same lecture, but that is so that you are prepared to face the exams and do the best you can in them."

State: Teaching
OOC: ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:56 am
User Image User Image
Ronyo Storm - Slytherin
Fifth Year
History of Magic V

Once again the White Haired Slytherin stepped into the classroom of History of Magic and found he was looking forward to the class. The new teacher made for a much more engaging experience and he seemed to enjoy the subject he was teaching. He looked like someone who was enthralled in history, looking like a librarian just as much as a teacher. With a chuckle Ronyo took his seat and brought out his notes for the class.

As the professor asked about the subjects learned thus far Ronyo thought back and also flipped back in his notes to the first year. Although in truth the basics should have been apparent but it was always best to start at the beginning in times like this, not just for the easy answer but it helped set a better patern to follow. Rainsing his hand Ronyo waited to be called and then recalled the first year of classes.

“We covered the History of Hogwarts, the Chamber of Secrets, and the history of Brooms as well I believe. We spent more time on the History of Hogwarts then though and little on the other two subjects if I recall.”  

Ronyo Storm

Werewolf

8,900 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Autobiographer 200

Pale Mist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:27 pm

phinelia von ichval
User Image
User Image
User Image
fifth year - ravenclaw
captain
- ravenclaw quidditch team
ravenclaw - female prefect

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬
“In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.”
– Desiderius Erasmus
“The haft of the arrow had been feathered with one of the eagle’s own plumes. We often give our enemies the means of our own destruction.”
– Aesop
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
– Socrates
“If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t.”
– Lyall Watson

╔══════════════════╗

Phi could not help but let out a breathless chuckle after the offered silence following Ronyo's answer as he offered three topics rather than the professor's one asked.
"There was also the subject of Muggle witch burning in our third year." Phi offered after raising her hand and seeing the young professor's eyes on her.

╚══════════════════╝

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:45 pm
Slip out the back before they know you were there
and at the worst you'll see nobody cares,
you don't want to be around when it all goes down...

User Image
William Dante Nott the Third

Fifth Year, Slytherin Prefect

Sleep had escaped him, fire burned bright in every dream and no matter how many sleeping draughts, aids, or potions he had taken, nothing would quell the terror inside of his subconscious. He shook the thought away, teeth piercing flesh as he stumbled into the classroom and collapsed several seats behind Phinelia. Gazing up into her fiery red hair, his heart leapt to his throat. Had she told anyone yet? Did she even believe him? Would it matter now—in any Hell’s case—the family she ever knew was dead…

Shaking his head, his thoughts away, his dreams, away, and by all bloody means, he had to shake her out of his thoughts. Idly, he began to wonder where the stalking lion had ventured too—no doubt—the demon was still in him, lurking, waiting, biding his time. He couldn’t focus on class, not now. Placing his satchel upon his desk, and burying himself behind his books and in the shadows of the students in front him, he rested his head down upon his desk and closed his eyes; too afraid to sleep through another walk in Hell, but too exhausted to be awake through the trenches of purgatory and feigned redemption.

╔══════════════╗
Mood: Callous
╚══════════════╝

..even heroes know when to be scared.

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Pale Mist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:08 pm

phinelia von ichval
User Image
User Image
User Image
fifth year - ravenclaw
captain
- ravenclaw quidditch team
ravenclaw - female prefect

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬
“In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.”
– Desiderius Erasmus
“The haft of the arrow had been feathered with one of the eagle’s own plumes. We often give our enemies the means of our own destruction.”
– Aesop
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
– Socrates
“If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t.”
– Lyall Watson

╔══════════════════╗

The heavy cry of old wooden seat having weight unceremoniously dropped into it peeked Phi attention. Blinking past the last thought that had just crossed her unseeing eyes, she marginally turned towards the sound to find the figure of William Dante Nott being the drooping cause of the furniture's burden. Within the beat of a heart, her neck was already half through the preparation to turn her head back forward just as her eyes cried stop. They scanned and observed sudden details in the quickly maturing boy that bellowed like neon beckons. His brittle glare, dark bruised shadows beneath his eyes, paleness and gauntness that she knew too well from her own reflection. The boy, as different as he looked now, seemed crushed by a weight his own, a clinging sickness of sleeplessness the Ravenclaw was too familiar with.
"Nicholas Flammel," she offered suddenly before stopping herself, "In our Third Year." she whispered with concern pooling her eyes, more than one question biding on the waves of those offered emotions in muted question as she lingered in his eye contact.

╚══════════════════╝

User Image

Fifth Year Classes

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas