Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Sixth Year Classes
History of Magic VI (1/4) *New Class 8/26* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:17 pm
User Image
Siobhan'Hannah'Grey
Hufflepuff PrefectSixth YearSixteen Years OldSingle

It was kinda weird having her history class be the last one of the day for her, even though it was before lunch, and she didn't complain about it either. After seeing Linny run herself unto exhaustion last term, studying for eighteen freakin NEWTs, Hannah pared her own class load down to eight, nine, if one counted Apparation class. No, she wouldn't be living in the library and studying sixteen hours a day, not if she wanted to stay healthy for Quidditch.

Today their studies were dealing with the recent past, well, sixty-odd years ago, anyway. Mother Grey told them stories about the dark days of the Wizarding Wars, and what was going on at the time. It was all pretty scary stuff, and she wondered if it all could happen again. Raising her hand, Hannah asked, "Professor, I've heard that during that time fewer children were born, because potential parents were losing hope for a future, and that there were a lot fewer students here as a result when the second war broke out. Is that true?"

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

OOC:
Username

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:27 pm
~New Year~

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:30 pm
]User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

Hɪsᴛᴏʀʏ ᴏғ Mᴀɢɪᴄ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Sᴛᴜᴅʏ ᴏғ Aɴᴄɪᴇɴᴛ Rᴜɴᴇs

════════════════════════

Grayson moved around his classroom, making sure that it was ready for the day. After all was said and done, he contented himself with making sure that his notes for the day were ready and within easy reach. After that was accomplished, he went ahead and wrote on the board the subject for the day.

Professor Powell

First Wizarding War

"Hello class, and welcome back to History of Magic. This year we have quite a bit to cover, so we will not go over what you have learned over the last five years. I trust that you already know that information by heart for you to be in this class."

He pointed toward the board, where the topic was written. "Now I know that all of you may be familiar with Voldemort and his rise to power, so we shall focus today on the first war. During the 1970s, Voldemort began to gather followers who were eager for a share of his power. The closest followers of Voldemort were known as the Death Eaters. These years got progressively more dangerous and violent. As Voldemort's influence grew, some witches and wizards were controlled by the Imperius Curse and forced to commit atrocities, including the torture and murder of Muggles. Voldemort capitalized on the prejudice and distrust between the giants and the Wizarding World; the giants became Voldemort's followers and killed and tortured many people.

"The Dark Mark was used by Death Eaters to indicate a house where they have committed murder. No one dared to become friendly with strange witches and wizards, not knowing if they were Voldemort supporters. Hogwarts became one of the few safe places in the Wizarding World. Bartemius Crouch was head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement; the Aurors were authorized to use drastic methods not differing greatly from the tactics used by the Death Eaters they fight.

"Around this time, a prophecy was made regarding a child that would be born to defeat Voldemort. Around that time, there were two boys born that fit that criteria. However, Voldemort focused upon the one that was a half-blood, like himself, probably under the assumption that he would be the more dangerous of the two. Dumbledore, learning that Voldemort knew of the prophecy, urged the parents, Lily and James Potter, to go into hiding with their infant son, Harry.

"However, the Potters were betrayed by a close friend. Peter Pettigrew, a former classmate and friend to both of them, had reported to Voldemort about their location upon becoming their Secret-Keeper. However, on October 31, 1981, Voldemort met his end when he murdered the Potters, but failed to murder the young Harry. It was thought at the time that Sirius Black was the Potter's Secret-Keeper, and when Ministry officials went to apprehend Black, he had tracked down Pettigrew and supposedly blown up an entire block to kill the other man. Pettigrew had, however, staged the entire thing, and escaped Black to go into hiding.

"When Voldemort fell, his Death Eaters were apprehended and tried for their crimes. Some, like Lucius Malfoy, claimed they were controlled by Voldemort's supporters and committed their crimes against their will. As there was no proof either way, they escaped punishment. Others, like the Lestranges, tried to find their lost Dark Lord and committed crimes to seek him out, only to be caught and sentenced to Azkaban.

"Now, keep in mind that all of the events that took place ended up playing a part in the Second Wizarding War. Also, keep in mind that most people at the end of the war were glad it was over, and didn't want to be reminded about the atrocities committed or the fear it generated. That is one of the reasons why people, even going into the second war, still refused to say Voldemort's name, and spoke of him as You-Know-Who or He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. Few people wanted to be reminded, and fewer still were brave enough to even mention his name.

"Now, I know that this was an exceptionally long lecture, however, next lesson we shall go into more detailed discussions about the hows and whys of the war. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask."

════════════════════════
                                              Location: History of Magic classroom
                                              Thinking: Now let's see how many students really should be in this classroom...
                                              Taken by: Amata Harlowe
                                              OOC: If you are quoted as being in this class, please post. There has been an atrocious number of students that have not posted over the terms, and anyone that does not post at least once in this year will receive a ten point deduction from their house.

Now where did I put that wand?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:11 pm
~New Year~

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:15 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Grayson moved around his classroom, making sure that it was ready for the day. After all was said and done, he contented himself with making sure that his notes for the day were ready and within easy reach. After that was accomplished, he went ahead and wrote on the board the subject for the day.

Professor Powell

First Wizarding War

"Hello class, and welcome back to History of Magic. This year we have quite a bit to cover, so we will not go over what you have learned over the last five years. I trust that you already know that information by heart for you to be in this class."

He pointed toward the board, where the topic was written. "Now I know that all of you may be familiar with Voldemort and his rise to power, so we shall focus today on the first war. During the 1970s, Voldemort began to gather followers who were eager for a share of his power. The closest followers of Voldemort were known as the Death Eaters. These years got progressively more dangerous and violent. As Voldemort's influence grew, some witches and wizards were controlled by the Imperius Curse and forced to commit atrocities, including the torture and murder of Muggles. Voldemort capitalized on the prejudice and distrust between the giants and the Wizarding World; the giants became Voldemort's followers and killed and tortured many people.

"The Dark Mark was used by Death Eaters to indicate a house where they have committed murder. No one dared to become friendly with strange witches and wizards, not knowing if they were Voldemort supporters. Hogwarts became one of the few safe places in the Wizarding World. Bartemius Crouch was head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement; the Aurors were authorized to use drastic methods not differing greatly from the tactics used by the Death Eaters they fight.

"Around this time, a prophecy was made regarding a child that would be born to defeat Voldemort. Around that time, there were two boys born that fit that criteria. However, Voldemort focused upon the one that was a half-blood, like himself, probably under the assumption that he would be the more dangerous of the two. Dumbledore, learning that Voldemort knew of the prophecy, urged the parents, Lily and James Potter, to go into hiding with their infant son, Harry.

"However, the Potters were betrayed by a close friend. Peter Pettigrew, a former classmate and friend to both of them, had reported to Voldemort about their location upon becoming their Secret-Keeper. However, on October 31, 1981, Voldemort met his end when he murdered the Potters, but failed to murder the young Harry. It was thought at the time that Sirius Black was the Potter's Secret-Keeper, and when Ministry officials went to apprehend Black, he had tracked down Pettigrew and supposedly blown up an entire block to kill the other man. Pettigrew had, however, staged the entire thing, and escaped Black to go into hiding.

"When Voldemort fell, his Death Eaters were apprehended and tried for their crimes. Some, like Lucius Malfoy, claimed they were controlled by Voldemort's supporters and committed their crimes against their will. As there was no proof either way, they escaped punishment. Others, like the Lestranges, tried to find their lost Dark Lord and committed crimes to seek him out, only to be caught and sentenced to Azkaban.

"Now, keep in mind that all of the events that took place ended up playing a part in the Second Wizarding War. Also, keep in mind that most people at the end of the war were glad it was over, and didn't want to be reminded about the atrocities committed or the fear it generated. That is one of the reasons why people, even going into the second war, still refused to say Voldemort's name, and spoke of him as You-Know-Who or He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. Few people wanted to be reminded, and fewer still were brave enough to even mention his name.

"Now, I know that this was an exceptionally long lecture, however, next lesson we shall go into more detailed discussions about the hows and whys of the war. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask."

════════════════════════
                                              OOC: If you are quoted as being in this class, please post. There has been an atrocious number of students that have not posted over the terms, and anyone that does not post at least once in this year will receive a ten point deduction from their house.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:28 pm
User Image

ARIA SOLARIN __________
Sixth Year, Gryffindor ________
════════════════════════════________

Aria was well equipped for class, she had a bagel from breakfast in her pack that she planned on warming with a hot-air charm halfway through the lesson for a small snack. She had her notebook and self-inking quill and was ready to jot down the whirlwind that she knew Professor Powell was about to get into. And when she noticed the 'First Wizarding War' written on the board, she knew this was going to be a long one.

∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷
WHEN:: Monday, 10:00-10:45am
WHERE:: History of Magic Class
WITH WHO:: Sixth Years

∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷∷

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

The Shiny Furret

Merry Muse

4,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:56 pm
User Image
                                                  I can't sleep tonight. Wide awake and so confused. Everything's in line, but I am bruised.
                                                  I need a voice to echo. I need a light to take me home. I kinda need a hero, is it you?

ℳ𝓸𝓷𝓲𝓴𝓪 𝓣𝓪𝔂𝓵𝓸𝓻 𝓔𝓿𝓪𝓷𝓼
                                                  Sixth Year / Ravenclaw / Muggleborn

I never see the forest for the trees. I could really use your melody.
                                                  Baby I'm a little blind. I think it's time for you to find me.

╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌

Monika entered the History of Magic classroom, ready for her first class of the day. It was Monday morning, and ironically enough, she loved Mondays. Mondays were one of her easy days, only having two classes. That meant she had plenty of downtime to work on homework from her many other classes. Slipping into the seat next to Aria, Monika opened her textbook and prepared her parchment and quill for notes. She loved history in general, specifically History of Magic. It wasn't a common household topic for her, so she liked learning as much as she could, even if the lectures could get a bit lengthy at times. Still, she did her best at keeping up, writing down the key points from the lecture. Monika knew she could always go back over them if she needed to.

╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌

Can you be my nightingale? Sing to me, I know you're there.
                                                  You could be my sanity, but bring me peace. Sing me to sleep.
                                                  Say you'll be my nightingale.

x x x x

OOC: . . .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:22 pm
~New Year~

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:23 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

════════════════════════

Professor Powell

First Wizarding War

════════════════════════
                                              OOC:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:06 pm
User Image
Faina Patrovna
Slytherin PrefectSixth YearSixteen Years OldSingle
Dueling Club Captain

Of her NEWT level classes this was one Faina really questioned taking before signing up for it. History was a subject she liked, but it wasn't required for what she was planning to do post-graduation. However, her mother told her it was a good idea to continue studying history to round out her education, as opposed to simply tailoring her schooling for what she needed for work and nothing more.

Faina took careful notes on the lecture, as it shaped up to be a long one, but then this was dealing with one of the most important events taking place in the Wizarding World in the last century or so. The names mentioned were almost mythic, as were the events they were involved in, and therein lay the trap history always seemed to set for the unwary. It was too easy to believe the events could never be repeated, and so folk were hoodwinked into letting happen anyway.

When the floor was opened to a class discussion, Faina raised her hand to ask a question. "Professor, wouldn't their willingness to hide from the truth and their fear to even speak Voldemort's name, be a contributing cause which allowed the next Wizarding War to happen? People hid from the truth, and allowed things to happen, even though the signs were there to give warning."

OOC:
Username

Taken by Lucien Markov

User Image
                      "And you ask me what I want this year
                      And I try to make this kind and clear
                      Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
                      Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
                      And desire and love and empty things
                      Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days"

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger