Captain

Dangerous Kitten

13,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:50 pm
Rarian

"Oh, come now... Even you have to admit that Ilea had good reason for that one... They'd tried to kill her, after all. Admittedly, she'd thought that they were targeting her Master, but the point remains that it was valid at the time..." came a man's voice to his right, "It could have ended in a complete disaster for all concerned instead of a survivable purge. A great many survived it, after all," he added, simply speaking the truth.

Turning would show a male standing somewhere over six feet tall wearing a pair of dark pants and boots with a sleeveless shirt in a dark shade partially hidden by a bolero jacket. He had dark eyes, somewhere between dark purple and brown but the low light of the environment made it difficult to determine exactly. He had black hair that fell just past his shoulders pulled back at the base of his head that had red highlights, of all colors. Of course, the sword at his hip was probably what drew the attention. It carried heavy power barely contained within the metal, almost as if the metal was alive or held something alive within it. Either way, it was some heavy s**t to feel even from the distance between them. And this man carried it all casually, as if it meant nothing to him.

He was leaning back against a very large tombstone, arms crossed as he looked Nathaniel over for a brief moment. Then he unfolded himself and pushed off to slowly make his way over to him, "All of that side... I have a deal for you, Nathaniel..." he said simply then waited a few paces away.

No, he didn't tell him anything else, just mentioned a deal then waited.

Then again, how many people actually knew his real name?

Nalyne wasn't sure about recruiting someone, but he thought that this one was the best choice for it. Then again, no one knew him here yet. By design, of course. Still, he needed someone he could trust. Even if he had to buy that trust...

Ilea needed more help than he could provide...  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:27 am
Red Gypsy

User Image
-----------------------------------------
Nathaniel Hobbs
--------------------------

Idle hands tempt devils... The thought flickered through the youth's mind faster than a bullet; Nate gently slowing his own breath to control his features as his senses finally registered that someone was far too close for comfort in what should have been one of his few safe zones. That voice had been the first warning when realistically his spirit cohorts should have been wailing at the first step the stranger made.. and he had let his guard down too. That was a problem. Briefly reviewing his own behavior for the last little while, looking for how much information he'd exposed to a unknown pair of eyes, Nate calmly gathered his concerns and pushed them neatly to the back of his mind as he finally lifted his chin high and slanted open his eyes to gaze towards the source of that presence over to his right. It was a larger specimen, clearly male, though questionable if he was human as the energy didn't feel quite right next to that sword's miasma.. and in a subconscious habit Nate lifted the hand from his chest to rake his hair up and out of his face as he openly weighed the level of danger he was in. Murder wasn't the goal right out the gate, the male had made it a point to show himself rather than take advantage of his negligence to go for a stealth attack. Though it was true some demonic beings did feed on fear and such blatant shows of power would be right up their alley.. " .. A knee jerk reflex is understandable in the heat of the moment, but I can't say I appreciate getting pulled into someone else's business in such a way. It caused a fair bit of revenue loss." Quite at odds with the aloof ruby hue of his side-long stare the boy's voice was curt, neither accusing nor disgruntled at the chaos Ilea had wrought on the village. It wasn't personal, he couldn't afford to let it be a issue to get hung up on when he already had bigger goals in mind. Besides he didn't have the energy or the power base to challenge the ruling factions of this land so why groan about it? He survived.. and the fact that he helped a few others survive too would be their little secret.

A few pale strands of hair slipped from between his fingers and fell back over his right eye causing Nate to blink; The lad turning his head fully towards his new companion as he allowed his focus to drift from the exotic shade of the male's eyes down towards the unusual bolts of color teasing the dark strands of his hair. It really was difficult to tell what species he was and that was a bit troubling in itself. Was it the male's own doing or.. His gaze flicked down to the hilt of the sword and his attention sharpened, tracing the odd item and memorizing its appearance for later study. Sentient energy? Enchantments couldn't simulate the properties of a soul to his knowledge.. Why was it getting bigger? A firm blink and Nate realized far too late that while he'd been lost on his thoughts the man had in fact started to move closer, every hair on the nape of Nate's neck starting to bristle with unease as the ghosts and spirits around them didn't so much as sway in reaction to his passing. That wasn't natural. Even if people couldn't see them most animals could at least feel the presence of death and likewise most ghosts would have been drawn to the sheer energy coming off that sword. As if reacting to his own hints of unease the nearest spirit did finally seem to take interest, a small thread of its death essence winding itself along his lifted arm and down to his shoulder; The white tendril wrapping gently yet snuggly around his neck as if comforting him as Nate allowed his arm to drop to his side limply and held his ground in the face of the approaching figure. His other hand was still in his right pocket, lightly toying with the packet of sleeping powder he kept on his person for self defense. Just in case.. That low voice came again and Nate's head tilted, the spirit around his throat shifting with the motion playfully as he forced himself to focus on just what was said. A deal.. so this wasn't a typical job it was a 'trade' and on top of knowing his name the guy took the time to hunt him down instead of waiting at the shop... s**t.

" I'm flattered." Something about the man's tone made it impossible to push down his urge to match the ambiguous sentence drifting between them, Nate's polite comment ringing ever so slightly of the same vibe as he smiled in a light business-friendly manner and allowed another small silence to bridge the gap. Backing down would be a weakness and he didn't have to be rude to give as good as he got. The wisp around his neck flickered and casually Nate lifted his left hand to his neck, lightly poking the silken entity until it started to curl around his index finger even as he refocused his stare on the man's eyes firmly. Running wasn't a option, he knew that instinctively, so the next best choice was.. negotiation. " I'm also expensive and I refuse any work that harms children, directly or indirectly. If none of that is a issue what is your proposition?"

Rarian
Vice Captain

Aged Regular

Red Gypsy
Captain

Dangerous Kitten

13,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:39 am
Rarian

Nalyne actually smiled at him, taking him from just handsome to something a bit difficult to believe. That smile gave a hint that this person might be able to hear the thoughts banging around in that pale head. In truth, Nathaniel wasn't hiding as much as he thought he was. At least, not from Nalyne anyway.

He gave a nod and held out a hand, casually causing a gilt and ornate mirror to rise from the ground in front of the grave in front of the boy, "First, my offer..." he said simply as the mirror shifted to show Nathaniel his family.

It was his grandmother's back yard where four girls were dancing in a circle, holding hands around a zombie. His grandmother stood off to the side, indulgently watching and saying something to the girls as if instructing them. His father also stood nearby watching.

But all of them were older. The girls were teenagers in the image. One sister had somehow gotten dark green highlights in her hair while the other had taken lavender highlights. They both took after their mother, especially when they smiled and laughed. Even his father and grandmother showed a few years on them.

After another moment his grandmother said something to the girls and they changed the direction of their dancing and laid the zombie to rest. His father and grandmother both smiled and gestured for the girls to go inside then followed all the girls in. Considering the time of day, more likely heading in to dinner.

The scene faded from sight and Nalyne gave a soft sigh, "Sorry about the time difference. Time passes differently in Darkness Abounds than in the human realm," he started then gave Nathaniel a simple nod, "For my offer... I can give you the ability to go home. I'll warn you now, though, that your grandmother will not allow you to stay once she learns that you've been here. Earthbound necromancers don't deal much with this realm unless they dip too far into the dark side of the craft. I can also help you with that little issue you're having and provide you the materials you'll need to increase your craft in both alchemy and necromancy," he offered then fell silent to wait and see what he had to say.

What he'd just shown to Nathaniel was something no mortal could do. Certainly no one in Darkness Abounds could do it.

After a moment of silence, he offered a nod of his head, "Before you turn me down outright... I should tell you that I'm not from here. My name is Nalyne. A very long time ago, Goh was my half brother. Thankfully, someone put him down for good. Good riddance, to be honest. But I was sent here to clean up my brother's messes. This place, and his creations, are those messes. This place, the entire realm, was created from the last essence of his lost godhood. That essence is evil. Pure, unrefined, evil. People, no matter whet race they are, are able to choose their fate after a fashion. They can choose to be good or bad. I know there's a lot of grey in those choices and I'm not debating that point. But the point remains that even the people born here can choose. They are influenced by the essence that permeates this place, but the choice still remains," he explained, moving slowly between headstones here and there.

The spirits didn't bother him at all. A few of them even paused to show him deference, almost reverence, as he passed them. They did stay out of his way as he moved with inhuman grace.

And yet, the spirits remained tight-lipped about Nalyne. They didn't offer anything about him. Still, their behavior did say a lot.

"There is one person here that was not able to escape the influence of that essence. Ilea. She wasn't born here. She was created. You might think of her as a type of flesh golem or something like that. It's a great deal more complicated than that, but it's an easy way of to think of her to begin with. However, I don't think my brother knew what he made when he created her. She is so much more than anything you could possibly imagine. And she's done something that no one at all should have been able to do..." he paused there, his voice slightly hushed at the end as he considered it all, still not sure what to make of it.

After another moment, he turned to look at him for another silent moment, watching him carefully before giving a soft sigh and gestured to the mirror again, "For your part of the deal..." he said, watching Nathaniel's face as the image of Ilea now appeared.

It was the castle's Great Hall. A stone alter had somehow risen by itself from the ground and how held a collection of soft furs. And Ilea... She looked like she was asleep. Her dark hair spread out around her head to cascade in waves to the floor. Her pale skin was covered with a crimson silk sheet, yet her shoulders, neck, and face carried numerous pale scars that didn't detract from her beauty and still showed that she'd been through total hell during her long life.

Around her, skeletons tended to her and the rest of the castle. Nalyne had sent the living servants there back to the village when Shale had been attacked and Ilea went into stasis. Now, only the Rattles Ilea had created served inside the castle.

"Ilea needs a new Master," he said then chuckled as Nathaniel's eyes widened in shock, "Don't worry. I don't want you to take her on. You're not powerful enough. No, I want you to take on the job of managing the castle and her pets. All of your needs will be seen to inside the castle. The library is yours to go through as you please. If you want to delve into some of Goh's experiments, I'll allow it. Necromancy is what it is, after all. And you will be given the ability to create your own portals to travel the different realms as you choose. But you will always come home to the castle. You can still manage your little business in the village. I won't interfere with that. But I don't want her left alone, even if she doesn't know you're there," he explained the second half of the deal.

Now, he waited to see what Nathaniel would would say.

And yes, he'd as good as admitted that he was a deity of some kind without offering any details about it. Nate's reaction to all of it would prove interesting...  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:41 am
Red Gypsy

User Image
-----------------------------------------
Nathaniel Hobbs
--------------------------

How odd was it to find one thought briefly admiring how attractive someone could be when they smiled and the next swiftly dropping to sheer despair as reality ripped apart what little seams Nate had left on his heart. Two facts smacked him pretty hard and despite his best efforts to remain calm the youth felt his magic start to prickle dangerously. First was the issue that from his own mouth the man admitted to being divine in some capacity. Second.. This divinity had absolutely no remorse in shattering what hopes Nate had left. Grandmother always said the flaw with Holy Magic was the fact that it came from the Divine.. Gods were short sighted beings that saw so much and understood so little about mortals. They were prone to cruelty without ever even seeming to realize it.. What little color the boy had drained away as the mirror lifted and as the scene played out he barely heard the stranger's apology; Rather, like a moth to the flame Nate had moved closer to carefully touch the mirror's surface as his family's images passed by. They were alien, wrong.. The same but not the same. He knew he'd been lost for a while but.. in another realm? Time was moving faster there? He'd suspected the possibility of being very far from home but to have it confirmed in such a gut wrenching way? At first it almost didn't seem like he was listening as the man continued to speak and, if not for the faint flex of his fingers against the glass, one would easily mistake the youth's body for that of a statue.. every muscle and joint locked in stillness as drastically more volatile emotions started to rage in his chest. Hate. Sincere, bitter hate towards this stranger who dared to tell him such truths. Doubts... because his grandmother always said gods were liars and manipulators. How many charlatans in town used illusion magics just like this to scam people? Why should he trust a God when it clearly didn't seem to care what the price of its words would be for Nate? Ultimately it was grief that won out and the weight of it finally snapped Nate into action; The boy's hand jerking away from the mirror and swiftly returning in the form of a fist. The crack was audible.. Not the mirror of course, divine magic was so much stronger than a mortal's bones. It was Nate's hand that suffered the blunt trauma and blood smeared from his knuckles across the glass as the otherwise stoic youth started to pull his arm back for another punch and that cold little spot in his chest throbbed eagerly as it started to eat away at his frayed emotions. That strike froze in motion as the image shifted to another known face, albeit one he'd only really glanced at from a distance and never one he'd looked too hard at. It was the little spirit at his throat that finally pulled a little shred of awareness back from the brink, the waif tightening around his neck almost like a collar as it jerked his attention back to the physical world. Nate was suddenly acutely aware of standing in front of that bloody mirror and slowly he moved his hand in front of him, the deep red of his gaze reflected in the crimson liquid that coated his abused flesh and he found a sense of relief in the raw pain that throbbed from the wounds. It helped to keep him above the storm in his mind.. if only just. A wise man would walk away right now. Damn the consequences and forge ahead just as he had been doing. He wasn't a idiot.. Spurning a god was pretty much the best way to die quickly but really why did that matter now? So what if he could go home when he couldn't stay anyway? Did he even have the right to go back anymore.. It wasn't shock that widened Nate's eyes as Nalyne finally got to the point of his deal.. It was a mixture of ire and concern. Master..? Why would he ever want to be a master to someone? Ilea was far from someone important to him, she may as well be a tornado on a stormy day for all he cared normally, but hearing someone talk as if she was just some lap dog waiting for orders honestly bothered him.

The urge to turn his damaged fist on the man pulsed and for a long moment Nate couldn't think of anything he wanted more than to deck the male regardless of what that caused. One thought held that self destructive wish back. Life won't wait. Life hadn't waited for him to get home and, if he could trust the image he'd just seen, his baby sisters were growing beautifully despite his absence. He had to verify this. It wasn't about who he could trust or what he had to do, he'd made the choice long ago to do whatever dirty work he needed to right? So humoring this god was just another job... A slow shake of his head was the first sign of an answer Nate had managed to give throughout this explanation. No... No, just no. " You really don't get what you just did to me, do you? Or what you're asking me to give up for your goals.." The calm, polite voice was back.. but when he finally looked back at Nalyne there wasn't a trace of reverence or fear the spirits seemed to show. Instead there was just.. a tired glint of loss mixed with stubborn resolve. A slow, calming breath filled his lungs and carefully he exhaled a question of his own. " Is this a god's version of ' stay home with the kid while dad is at work'? I'm not a babysitter." He had just found out his 'home' didn't exist anymore and somehow.. the pain in that was helping him to empathize just a little with that doll-like girl he'd seen sleeping in that Mirror. A firm step forward.. then another.. and before he knew it he was directly in Nalyne's personal space looking up at him with a chilled determination despite how uncomfortable it was to be so close to that odd sword at the man's hip. There was a ungodly amount of emotions he had to sort out over this revelation.. but he didn't have time now and if this gamble didn't pay off he'd likely die for talking back anyway so.. " I don't care who or what you are; Even if you are right and I can't go back to stay it wasn't your place to take that goal from me. It was cruel. That aside..." Staying exactly in front of Nalyne Nate let his head turn towards the Mirror again, something gentling his expression a bit as he studied multitude of scars on the girl's skin. To say she was 'pretty' was fair, Nate didn't think of women in terms of attractive or lovely.. But if someone had dared to put marks like that on his baby sisters..? Did she really have no one left, too? Just a cold home and a bunch of bones rattling around.. The emotion that swelled in response wasn't pity, Nate wasn't that good of a guy anymore to feel that sort of naive sentiment, no this was.. a need to protect someone that seemed just as isolated as himself. " That woman isn't a tool either, if you're asking me to take care of her then I'm claiming her as my family member; If she welcomes that sentiment or not when she wakes up I don't care. You're going to give me all of it. The house, the portals, any information you have on my condition, and your personal protection in case I can't defend that girl on my own. You also have to swear you won't murder or harm me going forward." He didn't trust this god, hell he didn't know enough about him to really say if he liked or disliked him as a person, but.. He couldn't just give up either. Even if it hurt and he had to leave them again.. he'd made a promise to see them. Nate had done a lot of bad things but he never broke promises..

Rarian
Vice Captain

Aged Regular

Red Gypsy
Captain

Dangerous Kitten

13,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:36 am
Rarian

Nalyne watched. He didn't flinch either. He paid attention to Nate's anger and despair. He had no problem with any of it. Then again, he was operating on knowing things that Nate had no clue about. He fully understood that anger and despair in a way that the mortal in front of him would never be able to comprehend. But for now, they had a common ground. It was enough.

He gave him a simple single nod, "I do know," he whispered softly, not bothering to hide his knowledge of what he'd done to the boy. He met that gaze unflinchingly, revealing that his eyes were dark, but carried points of light that resembled the star points of the night sky. His eyes weren't as bad on that point as the Goddess, but his still carried a touch of what hers carried. Those eyes were still a little unnerving to look at for long.

He still listened with a level of patience that few had. In the end, he reached out to grasp Nate's injured limb, lifting it in an unyielding grip at the forearm then simply tapped a finger to the injured knuckles with his other hand then released him and turned away. A sharp gesture made the mirror disappear as Nate's hand healed.

But that healing wasn't painless. Nate felt each bone snapping back into place, the sealing of skin stung with the bite of salt in an open wound. Muscles and tendons realigning and reconnecting pulled harshly.

After that was done, Nalyne turned back to the boy from several paces away, "Healing isn't really my thing but fixing problems is," he explained about the pain and gave a warning at the same time.

He looked him over for a long quiet moment as he cradled his hand then showed that core of strength again in hiding his reactions. Good. This one was strong. Exactly what he needed. The boy was going to need that strength before it was all over.

He finally gave another nod and held out a hand towards the rickety gate of the graveyard. A pinpoint of dark light formed then slowly expanded to form a portal to the castle's Great Hall, "Come. You have a sister to learn about, I believe. I just hope you retain your sanity while learning it all," he said simply as he moved through the portal.  
Darkness Abounds

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff