Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Friendly Debate
"Alternative" means of conception?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:32 am
In the news, most of us hear a lot of talk about contraceptives and whether or not they're moral and should they be handed out at schools, etc. etc. That's not really what this thread is about, though. I'm curious about people's feelings on "alternative," artificial means of conceiving (getting pregnant). People with fertility problems will often spend ridiculous amounts of money to get pregnant or in some cases, even resorting to using a surrogate.

How do you feel about people doing this? Growing up Catholic, I was always taught that children are a gift from God and that contraceptives were wrong becausee they disrupted the natural order of reproduction. We were taught that when we have sex (with our spouse to whom we're married, of course), it should be left up to God whether or not children are in your future.

So thinking along those lines...do not artificial means of conceiving also disrupt the natural order of reproduction. If you can't get pregnant the old-fashioned way, maybe that's God's way of telling you that having children, at least biological children, may not be in His plan for you. Maybe He wants you to adopt, or maybe parenthood just isn't the right path for you.

I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with any of what I just said (not saying that I disagree with it, either), just merely telling you what I was taught growing up, and because of that, I've always sort of wondered why artificial conception never seems to come up in debates about contraceptives.

So, yeah, please posts any thoughts you have on the subject. Feel free to talk about your opinion on contraceptives, too, if you want, because I don't think I saw a thread for that yet.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:09 am
As far as contraceptives go - I only believe in methods that prevent the sperm from reaching the egg, otherwise known as a combined contraceptive in accordance to pills, which I believe is the only one that should be allowed to take. I don't agree with the other types of pills that let the sperm reach the egg, but makes it so the egg cannot attach. I believe that life starts once the sperm comes in contact with the egg. I believe in other forms of contraception like condoms, IUD's, etc. and permanent contraception procedures are okay. I believe it's also okay if someone has a painful reproductive issues and need it to calm their pain. Although, if they are later married and having sex then they should switch to a combined contraceptive.

For artificial means of contraception, I'm a bit edgy on some of it. Like, if there was a married couple that couldn't conceive unless the egg or sperm were planted in the right place. Like, if it was her husbands sperm that were put inside her then I'm not so much against it because it would be biologically their child. I'm not necessarily for using sperm from a donor, however I'm a bit edgy against that because some sperm donors because it's someone you don't know, but even though the woman and man did not have intercourse, the donors child will be born. If it was the male that was infertile and not the female then I'm not for using a sperm donor and that adoption may be within their better interests as far as having a child. It's difficult sometimes to adopt a baby because there is a list to adopt children and sometimes the parents get to choose who adopts their baby and there are also other methods like newspaper articles, but I'm not sure how effective those are.

Having a surrogate mother if she had sex with her own husband and is allowing that other family to adopt then I am not so sure that there's necessarily nothing wrong with it. I am only concerned that it may hurt the child later if they found out their biological parents only had them just to give them to somebody else. This can also be difficult on the surrogate mother if the mother receiving the child tries to boss them around. Sometimes there is that possibility that the surrogate mother will want to keep her child because the connection between mother and child is beautiful and connects together well. If the surrogate mother wishes to keep her child, if she already signed adoption papers then she may not keep her child and it'd be emotionally damaging to her, and if there is the chance she can change her mind legally and keep the child then it is hard on the parents that were going to receive the child because they have also waited many months.

If the surrogate mother had sperm implanted from a sperm donor I'm not necessarily for that. I am absolutely for adoption from an adoption agency, though, especially in adoption of older children that don't have a lot of promise for finding a forever family. Adopting a child in need is a good option for those who can't have children.

Although, if I could never have children, I think I would adopt a child and not even consider doing anything artifically. I would rather conceiving the natural way and if I couldn't - help a child in need by adoption.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:05 pm
I'm more or less in agreement with you regarding contraceptives, though I'll add that I also very much support the use of barrier protection (namely both male and female condoms and dental dams) because they also help protect against the spread of disease. And unless you believe every sperm is sacred, I see nothing wrong about them. They simply prevent the exchange of bodily fluids, which prevents pregnancy and reduces the spread of disease.

I do have to say, I'm not comfortable with artificial means of conception. I mean, I don't think they should be illegal, but I just feel that if you can't conceive with your spouse the old fashioned way, give a home to a kid who wouldn't otherwise have one, y'know?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:16 pm
SinfulGuillotine
I'm more or less in agreement with you regarding contraceptives, though I'll add that I also very much support the use of barrier protection (namely both male and female condoms and dental dams) because they also help protect against the spread of disease. And unless you believe every sperm is sacred, I see nothing wrong about them. They simply prevent the exchange of bodily fluids, which prevents pregnancy and reduces the spread of disease.

I do have to say, I'm not comfortable with artificial means of conception. I mean, I don't think they should be illegal, but I just feel that if you can't conceive with your spouse the old fashioned way, give a home to a kid who wouldn't otherwise have one, y'know?

Makes sense. Barrier methods are a good option as well. I'm just unsure of how effective they are against pregnancy. I know they have studies and stuff, but they may be more protective than other methods because they only do so much of a population.

Yeah, I'm definitely for adoption, too smile I know there are some people that don't like adoption, though, because they are afraid of getting a child they can't handle. Although, that's what written IEP's are for and you can definitely see their temperament and their situation before you adopt and with God, all things are possible and if someone is adopting, it's always worth praying about. I think it would be awesome to adopt a kid one day, even if I do have some biological children of my own. It could be a challenge with some kids, I'm sure, but in the end, I bet one feels good inside if they truly feel they did their best for that child smile  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:48 am
Aquatic_blue
SinfulGuillotine

Makes sense. Barrier methods are a good option as well. I'm just unsure of how effective they are against pregnancy. I know they have studies and stuff, but they may be more protective than other methods because they only do so much of a population.

Yeah, I'm definitely for adoption, too smile I know there are some people that don't like adoption, though, because they are afraid of getting a child they can't handle. Although, that's what written IEP's are for and you can definitely see their temperament and their situation before you adopt and with God, all things are possible and if someone is adopting, it's always worth praying about. I think it would be awesome to adopt a kid one day, even if I do have some biological children of my own. It could be a challenge with some kids, I'm sure, but in the end, I bet one feels good inside if they truly feel they did their best for that child smile
Condoms are, with perfect use (which means both using them correctly and ALWAYS using them) are almost as effective against pregnancy is the pills. Meaning if the pill is 99% effective with perfect use, condoms are maybe 98.5% effective. I pulled those stats out of my bum, but if they're not totally correct, they're close.

Barrier methods have always seemed more appealing to me well...honestly I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm not exactly having sex with many women, so preventing pregnancy is sort of a non-issue in my life. But even so, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with taking a pill that alters my normal biological functions, so if I did have a female partner, it would be unfair of me to ask the same of her. (Her doing it of her own volition is a different story.) They actually are working on adveloping a male birth control pill, which I think is pretty cool. I've always thought that it's kind of unfair how the woman is always the one who has to remember to take her pill every day and deal with any unpleasant side effects just because, in many cases, her male partner refuses to wear a rubber. I don't think I'll ever understand why so many men are so stubborn about not using condoms. I mean, yes, there is some loss of sensation and we all know that it feels better without it, but that seems like a small price to pay for the peace of mind it gives.

I know there's legitimate medical reasons for taking hormonal birth control and plenty of women I know who are on the pill say they don't know how they ever lived without it. Still, if the roles were reversed...that's all I'm sayin'.

Personally, I feel the main reason most people won't adopt is mostly due to vanity. They want to have a kid that has their eyes and their partner's nose, etc. And there's nothing especially wrong with that, but if you can't conceive normally, I think it's time to ask yourself how important that stuff really is.

I actually do know a couple. Who recently had a baby via a surrogate, and they said their experience was a very positive one. Still, if I'd been in their situation, I would have adopted.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:07 pm
SinfulGuillotine
Aquatic_blue
SinfulGuillotine

Condoms are, with perfect use (which means both using them correctly and ALWAYS using them) are almost as effective against pregnancy is the pills. Meaning if the pill is 99% effective with perfect use, condoms are maybe 98.5% effective. I pulled those stats out of my bum, but if they're not totally correct, they're close.

Barrier methods have always seemed more appealing to me well...honestly I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the fact that I'm not exactly having sex with many women, so preventing pregnancy is sort of a non-issue in my life. But even so, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with taking a pill that alters my normal biological functions, so if I did have a female partner, it would be unfair of me to ask the same of her. (Her doing it of her own volition is a different story.) They actually are working on adveloping a male birth control pill, which I think is pretty cool. I've always thought that it's kind of unfair how the woman is always the one who has to remember to take her pill every day and deal with any unpleasant side effects just because, in many cases, her male partner refuses to wear a rubber. I don't think I'll ever understand why so many men are so stubborn about not using condoms. I mean, yes, there is some loss of sensation and we all know that it feels better without it, but that seems like a small price to pay for the peace of mind it gives.

I know there's legitimate medical reasons for taking hormonal birth control and plenty of women I know who are on the pill say they don't know how they ever lived without it. Still, if the roles were reversed...that's all I'm sayin'.

Personally, I feel the main reason most people won't adopt is mostly due to vanity. They want to have a kid that has their eyes and their partner's nose, etc. And there's nothing especially wrong with that, but if you can't conceive normally, I think it's time to ask yourself how important that stuff really is.

I actually do know a couple. Who recently had a baby via a surrogate, and they said their experience was a very positive one. Still, if I'd been in their situation, I would have adopted.

I believe that condoms were on the 99 percentile last time I looked it up. Most barrier methods are easier in the long run because they are easier to get a hold of unless a woman gets a diaphragm, in which she'd need to be fitted for one.

I remember once I tried a combined contraceptive pill. It was the most miserable thing ever. The lady said that with my medication it isn't as effective in a smaller dose and gave me one of the big doses. My medication didn't do the thing she was explaining because it filters through the body a different way, but she wasn't going to take that and wrote the prescription anyway. I thought it might be more effective because I've heard of people going around to stores and poking condom boxes with needles to make holes in the condom and people don't realize until it's too late. Also, finding lubricants here without glycerin/glycol are impossible - I haven't been able to fine one without those ingredients so I would need to order offline. I figured the pill would be more of a worry free thing. I just didn't realize how heavy the effects were on a person's body. For some people, I'm sure they adapt to it fine. The problems that I encountered that were considered "serious" was insomnia. I wasn't able to sleep for 4 days. I stopped taking it and tried eating foods that would help me fall asleep or stuffing myself so I could sleep easier. My husband e-mailed and called the company asking if a side effect of that birth control pill was insomnia and they completely denied it and he told them I was taking their medication and I was suffering for it. My husband also found out later after I stopped, he knew people that were being put on it and were ending up with insomnia as well. I think the larger dose also tried to force out my medical condition because of the hormone fluctuation. I would have terrible nightmares, confusion, super heavy bleeding, hot flashes, headache, pain in my legs and other joints, my face would light up like a red light bulb, and I had intense mood swings (one second I would be stressed and then 5 seconds later I'd be depressed and in tears - it made school so much harder because I was stressed already). I couldn't do it anymore and my husband flushed it all down the toilet and I vowed to never try another combined contraceptive pill again. I will definitely stick with other means because that was a living nightmare D= and it has so many changes and effects on your body that it's really scary.

I know that some women with certain reproductive disorders need it to relieve their pain and stuff and that's fine - as long as when they have sex they are switching to a combined contraceptive or also using a barrier method.

That's probably true, too, about adoption. My Mom and Dad seemed against adoption a lot of time. I remember I wanted my Mom to adopt from a foster home or orphanage because I knew those kids didn't always get treated the best and I said, "You can even adopt a boy for my brother!" My brother was the only boy so I was trying to compromise. She just told me, "No, we aren't adopting. All we can do is pray for them." and my idea was shot down. I remember later on my Mom told me horror stories about kids getting adopted that had so many psychological issues at a young age (however, that's for obvious reasons such as neglect, abandonment, abuse, etc.) and how expensive it is to take care of a child like that. I could just tell that she wasn't for the idea. However, one day I would love to adopt a child. I am not sure if my parents will call that child their "grandchild" or not, but as long as I know I am doing something good, I will fulfill that.

I also remember I had a friend and she got married and her husband ended up being a jerk. She would complain to me all the time and they've thought about getting a divorce once or twice, but they're still together. I feel bad for her, though, because she wanted to have kids so much. Her husband then told her, "Okay, we can start a family." and then she was so excited and told me about it and then he later said, "No, I don't want kids anymore." and then my friend wanted to adopt a baby from a family friend becaues the girl was young and they weren't able to give their child a suitable home and were asking their friends and family first about adopting their child. My friend totally was up for it and she saw no problem with it because they can raise a baby as their own. Then the husband was all about "keeping the family line pure" and stuff like that and she never got to adopt the child. I thought that was incredibly selfish and unreasonable.

Adoption is usually the better option smile there are so many kids in the system that need homes so it's probably better to adopt a child in need than to have an alternative mean of conception.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Girl With The Windex Eyes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:25 pm
Aquatic_blue
SinfulGuillotine
Aquatic_blue
SinfulGuillotine

I believe that condoms were on the 99 percentile last time I looked it up. Most barrier methods are easier in the long run because they are easier to get a hold of unless a woman gets a diaphragm, in which she'd need to be fitted for one.

I remember once I tried a combined contraceptive pill. It was the most miserable thing ever. The lady said that with my medication it isn't as effective in a smaller dose and gave me one of the big doses. My medication didn't do the thing she was explaining because it filters through the body a different way, but she wasn't going to take that and wrote the prescription anyway. I thought it might be more effective because I've heard of people going around to stores and poking condom boxes with needles to make holes in the condom and people don't realize until it's too late. Also, finding lubricants here without glycerin/glycol are impossible - I haven't been able to fine one without those ingredients so I would need to order offline. I figured the pill would be more of a worry free thing. I just didn't realize how heavy the effects were on a person's body. For some people, I'm sure they adapt to it fine. The problems that I encountered that were considered "serious" was insomnia. I wasn't able to sleep for 4 days. I stopped taking it and tried eating foods that would help me fall asleep or stuffing myself so I could sleep easier. My husband e-mailed and called the company asking if a side effect of that birth control pill was insomnia and they completely denied it and he told them I was taking their medication and I was suffering for it. My husband also found out later after I stopped, he knew people that were being put on it and were ending up with insomnia as well. I think the larger dose also tried to force out my medical condition because of the hormone fluctuation. I would have terrible nightmares, confusion, super heavy bleeding, hot flashes, headache, pain in my legs and other joints, my face would light up like a red light bulb, and I had intense mood swings (one second I would be stressed and then 5 seconds later I'd be depressed and in tears - it made school so much harder because I was stressed already). I couldn't do it anymore and my husband flushed it all down the toilet and I vowed to never try another combined contraceptive pill again. I will definitely stick with other means because that was a living nightmare D= and it has so many changes and effects on your body that it's really scary.

I know that some women with certain reproductive disorders need it to relieve their pain and stuff and that's fine - as long as when they have sex they are switching to a combined contraceptive or also using a barrier method.

That's probably true, too, about adoption. My Mom and Dad seemed against adoption a lot of time. I remember I wanted my Mom to adopt from a foster home or orphanage because I knew those kids didn't always get treated the best and I said, "You can even adopt a boy for my brother!" My brother was the only boy so I was trying to compromise. She just told me, "No, we aren't adopting. All we can do is pray for them." and my idea was shot down. I remember later on my Mom told me horror stories about kids getting adopted that had so many psychological issues at a young age (however, that's for obvious reasons such as neglect, abandonment, abuse, etc.) and how expensive it is to take care of a child like that. I could just tell that she wasn't for the idea. However, one day I would love to adopt a child. I am not sure if my parents will call that child their "grandchild" or not, but as long as I know I am doing something good, I will fulfill that.

I also remember I had a friend and she got married and her husband ended up being a jerk. She would complain to me all the time and they've thought about getting a divorce once or twice, but they're still together. I feel bad for her, though, because she wanted to have kids so much. Her husband then told her, "Okay, we can start a family." and then she was so excited and told me about it and then he later said, "No, I don't want kids anymore." and then my friend wanted to adopt a baby from a family friend becaues the girl was young and they weren't able to give their child a suitable home and were asking their friends and family first about adopting their child. My friend totally was up for it and she saw no problem with it because they can raise a baby as their own. Then the husband was all about "keeping the family line pure" and stuff like that and she never got to adopt the child. I thought that was incredibly selfish and unreasonable.

Adoption is usually the better option smile there are so many kids in the system that need homes so it's probably better to adopt a child in need than to have an alternative mean of conception.

I came on here to ask if it was okay to take birth control pills and you said that combined contraception pills were okay, but not the pills that can make it hard for a fertilized egg to attach. Doesn't all combined contraception do that? ... I just found out and have been confused about it and thinking hard on stopping it. Dunno how to bring it up to my significant other. Is there a birth control that doesn't do that? The reason I ask is because I looked up combination pills and it says it does that third thing.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:02 am
Aquatic_blue
SinfulGuillotine
Aquatic_blue
SinfulGuillotine

I came on here to ask if it was okay to take birth control pills and you said that combined contraception pills were okay, but not the pills that can make it hard for a fertilized egg to attach. Doesn't all combined contraception do that? ... I just found out and have been confused about it and thinking hard on stopping it. Dunno how to bring it up to my significant other. Is there a birth control that doesn't do that? The reason I ask is because I looked up combination pills and it says it does that third thing.

Just so you are not expecting an answer from her. Aquatic_blue, is no longer on Gaia. She quit a few months back. She has not logged on since October 2013, and from what I have gathered talking to her she will not be coming back. She wanted to spend more time on things she felt mattered more in the non-electronic world.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:15 pm
Garland-Green
Aquatic_blue
SinfulGuillotine
Aquatic_blue
SinfulGuillotine

Just so you are not expecting an answer from her. Aquatic_blue, is no longer on Gaia. She quit a few months back. She has not logged on since October 2013, and from what I have gathered talking to her she will not be coming back. She wanted to spend more time on things she felt mattered more in the non-electronic world.

Oh okay. Thanks ^_^  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:37 pm
This is a rather difficult topic to comment on. I am Catholic, and if I were to ask a priest about this, he would likely agree with you. However, I believe that doctors are a creation of god as well. I believe that god gave them the knowledge to do what they do for a reason. So, I would say that these "Unnatural" means of conception could be viewed as a blessing. Some people really do want kids. The bible never actually speaks on how the children must come into this world. And so...I would say that they should be allowed to do this. And if not that, I would say that we should not judge those who do. It is god's right to judge. Not our own. And if the lord truly did not wish for these people to have children, then he simply wouldn't allow it (I.E. the procedure would fail repeatedly).

On the note of contraceptives. I believe they are the lesser of three evils.

Evil 1: Abortion. I would guess we could all agree that abortion is wrong unless extreme circumstances arise.

Evil 2: being forced to carry a child to full term. Lets be honest with ourselves for just a moment. In the world we live in these days, it is better for people to protect themselves than to bring an unwanted and unloved child into the world. While we would all love to believe that people fall in love with their children once they give birth...the truth of the matter is quite to the contrary. Some children enter this world unloved and unwanted. And this typically leads to that child being abused, which leads to major psychological problems down the road. Now, I know the solution most people would offer, is adoption. However, this can at times cause more problems. Many children who are put up for adoption, unfortunately, don't actually get adopted. These children grow up in the system. Many people who have grown up in the system have reported incidents of physical abuse, sexual abuse, and in some occasions, suicide. So, I believe people should be able to wait until they are ready to have children.  

Doitsu Rutovihhi

Romantic Businessman

6,650 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
Friendly Debate

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items