Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Questions & Answers
Wouldn't it be neat if we went to Heaven before we died?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would it be cool to go to Heaven without dying?
  That'd be AWESOME!
  I don't know...maybe or maybe not. I'll just see what God has in store for me!
  No, I want to experience death one day to see what it's like.
View Results

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:26 am
I think about this sometimes. I mean, a lot of people will be alive by the end of the world and Jesus may come down and bring those who believe up into the sky with him.

I am slightly scared of death - even though I honestly shouldn't be, but I am. I'm still working on it and trusting God more and more smile some people I know would like to experience death to wonder what it is like.

I think it would be awesome if I was alive when the world was ending and Jesus said, "Come up here!" and his believers followed and we didn't have to experience of death. I believe some people will definitely get that luxury smile  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:46 am
I don't fear death at all, but at the same time, I have to say that I enjoy being alive here on Earth, for all its horror and beauty. You only get one lifetime to live on Earth, but you get a whole eternity on heaven, so I'm in no rush. I still feel like God has a lot planned for me in this life and I'm excited to see how it will all play out.

My time will come when it comes (after all, death is the only certainty in life), and while I'm certainly looking forward to heaven, I'm okay with taking the scenic route to get there.

Then again, if I were to die tomorrow, I still feel like I could say that I've done more living in 30 years than many people get to do in 90, so I wouldn't be too disappointed.

In a nutshell, I guess I'm just perfectly content leaving it all in God's hands.  

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

ll-0RACL3_kun-ll

Hunter

5,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:15 pm
This article speaks about the good of thinking about death: http://news.yahoo.com/why-thoughts-death-may-good-222259031.html
It made me realize to look at ways of life worth living and stuff I should do before I die.

Well I think I'm contented already with the fact that we'll live forever even after we die and I can't wait to experience serenity in heaven either =D We have nothing material to gain but what we'll have then is lasting happiness mrgreen  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:27 pm
ll-0RACL3_kun-ll
This article speaks about the good of thinking about death: http://news.yahoo.com/why-thoughts-death-may-good-222259031.html
It made me realize to look at ways of life worth living and stuff I should do before I die.

Well I think I'm contented already with the fact that we'll live forever even after we die and I can't wait to experience serenity in heaven either =D We have nothing material to gain but what we'll have then is lasting happiness mrgreen

Thanks for the article link biggrin I'll definitely check it out.

That's true, too, that in Heaven we will live forever anyway. I'm not sure why the thought of death scares me. Perhaps I haven't broken all necessary ties to this world yet and still need to continue to work on it 3nodding  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:39 am
Aquatic_blue
ll-0RACL3_kun-ll

That's true, too, that in Heaven we will live forever anyway. I'm not sure why the thought of death scares me. Perhaps I haven't broken all necessary ties to this world yet and still need to continue to work on it 3nodding
It's pretty natural to fear death. It's a pretty universal instinct both to fight for survival, and also to fear the unknown. And since death isn't something we can experience more than once (well, technically you can be dead in the strictly biological sense and be resusitated in some cases, but I think for dying to really count as dying, you have to stay dead), and those who have experienced it really aren't likely to be able to come over for dinner and tell us all about it. You can also die very suddenly and unexpectedly. So regardless of how strong your faith is and/or how certain you feel that eternal paradise awaits you, there's always an element of the unknown with death, and that makes us as humans naturally frightened of it (in general; obviously there's exceptions). It's not always a debilitating sort of terror (and if it is, I can't imagine that's a terribly healthy or happy existence). It can be more like the sort of fear you might feel when taking a really important exam even if you know you're well-prepared for it, or the sort of fear you might get at a job interview, or going on a first date, or getting married. Most people are at least a little frightened when they find themselves in the situations I listed, but it's not always a bad kind of fear.

Personally, I've never really feared death for a number of reasons. First and foremost, I try to live with as little fear in my life as possible. I'm rather crazy in the clinical sense, you see, including but not limited to anxiety and panic disorder (courtesy of my lovely post-traumatic stress mostly, more rarely triggered by one of my other flavours of insanity) so a while back when I was first being treated for mental illness and realised that I didn't want to rely on daily medication for the rest of my life, I started making a concerted effort to let go of as much fear in my life as I could. I see death as inevidable (I really don't believe the world is going to end any time especially soon), and what's the point of fearing the inevidable? Also, I am curious about what it's like to die. Not to be confused with WANTING to die, but call it morbid curiousity. I just feel like death is such a universal human experience.

I used to actively want to die, then for a while I was just completely apathetic about whether I lived or died...luckily I pulled my head out of my bum on that. I don't want to die. I've been very blessed in this life and I'll take all the time I've got to appreciate and enjoy that. Maybe that makes me "too attached to the world," but I hardly think it's a sin to be happy to be alive. My time will come when it comes. I'm in no hurry, but it's not something I'm fearful of. I'd rather not have to suffer a painful death, but I'm not really afraid of physical pain, either. I've felt all sorts of physical pain before, and I figure at least if I'm dying while in pain, at least I'll know there's an end in sight, which is more than I can say for much of the pain I've experienced in my life thus far.

I can't honestly say that I fear hell that much, either. I feel like I probably should, or at least I've been told that I should fear it more. It terrified me as a child, became resigned to it when I was a teenager, stopped believing in it as a young adult, and now...I'm just not afraid. It's not that I'm arrogant and think I can do no spiritual wrong and/or am somehow immune to eternal damntion. I can't explain it well, so I'm just going to stop trying.

Long story short, I guess I'm just very much at peace with myself spiritually these days. It's a pretty new feeling for me, I admit, but it's pretty awesome.

I got really rambly. Wow. Sorry about that. I haven't slept much, and sleep deprivation unfortunately amplifies my long-windedness and decreases my language skills. And my short-term memory. What's the topic of this thread again? Oh yeah, being alive for the end times vs. experiencing death. I hope I at least touched on that topic. gonk  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:54 pm
SinfulGuillotine
Aquatic_blue
ll-0RACL3_kun-ll

It's pretty natural to fear death. It's a pretty universal instinct both to fight for survival, and also to fear the unknown. And since death isn't something we can experience more than once (well, technically you can be dead in the strictly biological sense and be resusitated in some cases, but I think for dying to really count as dying, you have to stay dead), and those who have experienced it really aren't likely to be able to come over for dinner and tell us all about it. You can also die very suddenly and unexpectedly. So regardless of how strong your faith is and/or how certain you feel that eternal paradise awaits you, there's always an element of the unknown with death, and that makes us as humans naturally frightened of it (in general; obviously there's exceptions). It's not always a debilitating sort of terror (and if it is, I can't imagine that's a terribly healthy or happy existence). It can be more like the sort of fear you might feel when taking a really important exam even if you know you're well-prepared for it, or the sort of fear you might get at a job interview, or going on a first date, or getting married. Most people are at least a little frightened when they find themselves in the situations I listed, but it's not always a bad kind of fear.

Personally, I've never really feared death for a number of reasons. First and foremost, I try to live with as little fear in my life as possible. I'm rather crazy in the clinical sense, you see, including but not limited to anxiety and panic disorder (courtesy of my lovely post-traumatic stress mostly, more rarely triggered by one of my other flavours of insanity) so a while back when I was first being treated for mental illness and realised that I didn't want to rely on daily medication for the rest of my life, I started making a concerted effort to let go of as much fear in my life as I could. I see death as inevidable (I really don't believe the world is going to end any time especially soon), and what's the point of fearing the inevidable? Also, I am curious about what it's like to die. Not to be confused with WANTING to die, but call it morbid curiousity. I just feel like death is such a universal human experience.

I used to actively want to die, then for a while I was just completely apathetic about whether I lived or died...luckily I pulled my head out of my bum on that. I don't want to die. I've been very blessed in this life and I'll take all the time I've got to appreciate and enjoy that. Maybe that makes me "too attached to the world," but I hardly think it's a sin to be happy to be alive. My time will come when it comes. I'm in no hurry, but it's not something I'm fearful of. I'd rather not have to suffer a painful death, but I'm not really afraid of physical pain, either. I've felt all sorts of physical pain before, and I figure at least if I'm dying while in pain, at least I'll know there's an end in sight, which is more than I can say for much of the pain I've experienced in my life thus far.

I can't honestly say that I fear hell that much, either. I feel like I probably should, or at least I've been told that I should fear it more. It terrified me as a child, became resigned to it when I was a teenager, stopped believing in it as a young adult, and now...I'm just not afraid. It's not that I'm arrogant and think I can do no spiritual wrong and/or am somehow immune to eternal damntion. I can't explain it well, so I'm just going to stop trying.

Long story short, I guess I'm just very much at peace with myself spiritually these days. It's a pretty new feeling for me, I admit, but it's pretty awesome.

I got really rambly. Wow. Sorry about that. I haven't slept much, and sleep deprivation unfortunately amplifies my long-windedness and decreases my language skills. And my short-term memory. What's the topic of this thread again? Oh yeah, being alive for the end times vs. experiencing death. I hope I at least touched on that topic. gonk

Well, that makes sense. A lot of it is the mind over matter. I mostly fear the actual death part because I'm not sure if it'll be sudden, silent, painful, excruciating, agonizing, or long. Then, after that...well, I do fear God in a respectful type of way because God has the true power to judge my soul and send me to Heaven or Hell.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

911child

Blessed Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:41 pm
that would be neat if we could see heaven before we die.  
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:45 pm
I've always wondered about heaven too, I was watching tv one day and flipped it to the Christian channel. There was this show about people who actually died, experienced heaven or hell and then came back completely changed. I also remember some of the people got to actually meet Jesus and feel a love they have never experienced before. I used to pray that I could feel that love, guess I didn't feel much love growing up so I wanted soooo bad to experience that! And to see heaven and come back! I also remember a professor telling us in class a story about a little boy, apparently he died but came back to life and told his mom that he met Jesus!  

taki-ziku-chiri

Super Soldier

14,800 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
Questions & Answers

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items