Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Best friend is dating my worst enemy?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:50 pm
Here's the sitch... a very good friend of mine has helped me with a ton of things. For example, when I was infatuated with a guy I really shouldn't have been, she helped to open my eyes to that. She's also helped me become more social, how and when to approach people who I might want to date. I've never really been comfortable talking to my mother or father about dating and relationships, so I've always kind of asked my friend about them. I tease her a lot, and she teases me some too, but all in all, we've had each other's backs.
But now, she's dating a kid I have never cared for. He's rude, hot-headed, and he seems to dislike me for no particular reason. The worst part is, they've only met each other this past Saturday while she was drunk (I'm pretty scared about that part, too, but her underage drinking is not the problem I'm focusing on right now). I've expressed my dislike for him in front of her; she didn't seem to care. I saw them walking down the stairs holding hands, which made me pretty uncomfortable. I can't even visit her Facebook profile anymore without getting grossed out that his name is listed that she is in a relationship with him. It's all very awkward, and the worst part is, I'm worried that if I tell her anything personal now, he'll somehow hear about it and it will come back and bite me in the a**, like the time he and the guy I liked were sitting together and I was trying to talk to my crush, and this guy shouted "IF YOU LIKE HIM SO MUCH WHY DON'T YOU GO OUT WITH HIM." I'm sure everyone around us heard him, and it was all in all humiliating.
If this relationship works out, I'll probably have lost a person to share all my troubles with and give me advice because I know he'll somehow hear about it. Anybody have some advice for me?  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:14 pm
well there's really only 4 things you can do and two of them for sure won't have good outcomes for your friendship

1. Talk to her about it. She helped you out of a bad crush, now help her. She might listen to you she might not but if you two are close she will

2. Allow the relationship and still confide in her. I doubt if she's as good a friend as you say she is and she knows you dont like her boyfriend, she wont say anything

3. Let your friendship drift apart and find someone else to be close too

4. Stop being her friend all together.

Now I doubt you want to do 3 or 4 so I suggest you talk to her at least about it  

TheLostAngel-Mika

Rainbow Elder

14,750 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:49 pm
TheLostAngel-Mika
well there's really only 4 things you can do and two of them for sure won't have good outcomes for your friendship

1. Talk to her about it. She helped you out of a bad crush, now help her. She might listen to you she might not but if you two are close she will

2. Allow the relationship and still confide in her. I doubt if she's as good a friend as you say she is and she knows you dont like her boyfriend, she wont say anything

3. Let your friendship drift apart and find someone else to be close too

4. Stop being her friend all together.

Now I doubt you want to do 3 or 4 so I suggest you talk to her at least about it

Thanks for the advice, but I kind of said it jokingly about how he's given me a hard time in the past and hasn't been all that nice to me. I wasn't being a jerk about it, I was just kind of said it. It's hard to explain. :/ I'll definitely try to either of the first two options, and I honestly don't even know if it will last long. Her past few relationships have only been a week or so long, but if it gets any longer then that I'll try to do something. Thanks again.  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:40 am
Return the favor to her and try to open her eyes as well?

Either way, I hope things can work out for the better in the end!  

ChristmasLolly

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:58 pm
ChristmasLolly
Return the favor to her and try to open her eyes as well?

Either way, I hope things can work out for the better in the end!

Thanks for the advice, but I talked to my mom and therapist, and they both said doing it without a warning could make her just crawl back to him more. My therapist said when she comes to me for advice, I can do it. I also read a newspaper advice column that said being overly nice to him might annoy him.
I think things can very well work out between me and her. I've asked other people for advice and they also agree that relationships that start off at a drunk party never work out. In the mean time, I'll have to gag at my newsfeed when she makes a post about him, but I think I can survive that... maybe.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games