Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply The Staffroom (Professors Only)
Faculty Lounge Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AJKline

Hallowed Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:27 pm
User Image

User Image
Wizard Law

Kendrick raised an eyebrow. This was interesting. When asked about the potential nickname, Kendrick gave a flat "No." There wasn't a person on earth who called him anything other than Kendrick, and that's how it was going to stay.

He picked up his book, turning back to his marked page. "I speak a touch of French. My wife and I went on holiday in Nice fifteen years ago, I know my alphabet and can count to ten. Beyond that, I'm afraid I'm a hopeless anglophone."

Looking seriously over the jacket of the book at Cinq, he added, "I am also a lawyer, and am not fond of being lied to. You can tell me the truth or tell me that the truth is off-limits. I won't be offended, I promise. But do not sit there and lie to my face." Something was off about Cinq's story. Kendrick couldn't be sure whether it was lying or colorful truth-telling, but all the same: it wasn't a proper answer.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:45 am
User Image
Cinq Moreau
User Image
Flying Substitute Professor
Former Hufflepuff

╔════════════════════════════════════╗

Cinq saw the rejection coming. He didn't question it further, since he was pretty sure Kendrick will pancake him with a couple spells if he did. Maybe he'd call him "Kenny" when he had his wand ready to cast a couple protection charms.

"You lawyers are so freaky!" Cinq exclaimed. But then his expression turned dark and the smile disappeared from his face. "If you really want to know..." he trailed off. He looked down to the ground, staring at a random nonexistent stain on the floor. "The number five has a special meaning to them. The fifth sibling of my mother died five days after my father's father entered the grave in May," he explained monotonously. "Never forget, never let go." How the two died, Cinq didn't know and didn't want to find out either. It might've had something to do with the Second Wizarding War, though he couldn't be sure.

╚════════════════════════════════════╝

"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."
~Amelia Earhart

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Object of Affection 150

AJKline

Hallowed Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:29 am
User Image

User Image
Wizard Law

Kendrick listened, stoic but surprised. He hadn't expected Cinq to actually tell him something, and this little tidbit was more than he'd bargained for. And, well... Kendrick was no expert in offering comfort or sympathy, particularly on matters so close to the heart.

"Well. I suppose that's better than being named after 6/6/6," he consoled lamely. "Thank you. For telling me, I mean. Truly, you didn't have to, and I'm impressed and flattered that you did."

Kendrick shrugged off his outer coat, looking Cinq over. He was still a young man, younger than Kendrick, at any rate. He'd be all right, he sensed. From whatever was plaguing him, he'd come out ok.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:06 pm
User Image
Cinq Moreau
User Image
Former Hufflepuff

Cinq let out a little laugh and grinned. "It's just an explanation. At least 'Cinq' is actually a legitimate name. If I was named 'Six', I don't think I'd survive the cruelty of teasing," he joked. So many awkwardly wrong jokes would've surfaced. He laughed heartily, thinking about how immature and childish he just was. He coughed once, then cleared his throat, but still maintained that beaming smile.

~Amelia Earhart

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150

AJKline

Hallowed Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:01 pm
User Image

User Image
Wizard Law

Kendrick shrugged. "Parents name their kids all sorts of bizarre things nowadays. There's a Muggle couple in the middle east somewhere that's made headlines. Named their daughter Like, of all things. Probably after some Muggle phenomenon."

On a whim, he thought about his name. To be honest, he wasn't sure how he'd gotten it. It was just a part of him, much like everything else, it meant nothing. The irony of naming, though, had always been present in his daughter.

Kendrick shook it off, unwilling to get questions about that. He attempted a smile at Cinq, and asked, "So. Have you any idea what years you're going to teach Ghosts and Ghouls to?"

OutOfCupcakes: Seriously, she's named after Facebook's like button.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:57 pm
User Image
Cinq Moreau
User Image
Former Hufflepuff

Cinq mouthed the word "wow". It's not uncommon to be named after real words, like "Summer" or "Ruby". But "Like"? Muggles had weird logic. And hopefully, the child won't be scarred too much.

He was excited to see Kendrick try to smile. It would've been better if he smiled naturally though. "Third years and up," he said. "And hopefully mentally stable." He knew it was a morbid subject that could attract a couple kids fascinated with death. But the truth was, who wasn't? Just depends on the level of obsession. "If you ever have the desire to be creeped out, I have tons of ghostly stories."

((That is slightly concerning... o.o))

~Amelia Earhart

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150

AJKline

Hallowed Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:59 pm
User Image

User Image
Wizard Law

At this, Kendrick laughed. "Oh, do you, now? Ghosts and ghouls are intriguing to me, and I have to admit, I've only once had a ghost on a courtroom docket, and he didn't even bother to show up. That's something that's always be of interest, the potential to someday overturn a court case using testimony provided by a ghost..."

He broke off, wondering. Surely, it had to have happened before? A ghost, provided it had its head and wasn't, well, worthy of institutionalizing, had to have an excellent memory. He'd have to hit the library one of these weekends and find out.

"Would it be fair to assume you've had firsthand encounters with ghosts and ghouls, beyond the Hogwarts house ghosts?" Kendrick asked. "And what do you know of poltergeists and boggarts?"

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:57 pm
User Image
Cinq Moreau
User Image
Former Hufflepuff

To Cinq, testimony was just testimony, a statement from a witness. He didn't quite get why one from a ghost would be so special, so he just nodded and agreed with Kendrick. He guessed that it was because ghosts are only imprints of the souls of the deceased, and not really living.

Cinq tried to remember any said encounters with ghosts or ghouls. There were a couple, but none very interesting. "I've encountered a couple ghosts, but ghouls..." he trailed off, thinking. "Oh yes! I had to help get rid of a ghoul living in our neighbor's house. Though the ghoul was very cooperative. They can be quite docile, despite their appearances." If only people could look past their appearances... "Well, what do you want to know?" he asked Kendrick. The topic was broad, and even if the knowledge is limited on both creatures, it was hard to narrow it down.

~Amelia Earhart

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150

AJKline

Hallowed Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:36 pm
User Image

User Image
Wizard Law

Kendrick crossed his arms, interested. He'd never yet heard of an amenable ghoul, but, he supposed, there was no reason it could be impossible. He had never seen a ghoul in person, so he was in no particular place to judge.

"Just... anything," Kendrick said unhelpfully. "I know very little of poltergeists beyond what my years spent avoiding Peeves and a few frivolous property damage suits have taught me. And to be honest, I've always classed a boggart as a similar creature to poltergeists, only that they focus on fear rather than chaos."

He shrugged. "I've seen a boggart once, and I wish never to relive the experience of being caught unprepared by one such creature again. But, in the scheme of creatures that inhabit our world, I suppose there are worse things to be caught unprepared by."

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:06 pm
User Image
Cinq Moreau
User Image
Former Hufflepuff

"Well," Cinq began. "Poltergeists are quite similar to ghosts. The only differences is that poltergeists are tangible and was never once a human being. They are said to be amortal, because they were never alive to begin with so they cannot die. They are, possibly, a simple animation and personification of chaos that surrounds a certain location." He still hadn't quite figured out what it meant, since the law of nature said that all living creature must die at some point. And would a poltergeist disappear if the place was left untouched for a period of time? He would have to look into it later. "Basically, if a poltergeist starts to haunt a place, they're there to stay until they decide to move onto another location. It is impossible to drive a poltergeist away."

"As for boggarts, I can't say for sure. I have never encountered one apart from my Defense Against Dark Arts class. Since they shape-shift to reflect that of a person's fear, nobody knows their true form. They tend to haunt dark places, like closets," he explained. He sighed and leaned back onto the chair, then quoted, "'Laughter is the greatest weapon we have and we, as humans, use it the least.' Laughter weakens a boggart, basically."

~Amelia Earhart

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150

AJKline

Hallowed Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:05 pm
User Image

User Image
Wizard Law

"Amortal, hm. That's peculiar... but it makes sense. Peeves was very much the incarnation of chaos itself." Kendrick paused, thoughful. "I wonder what draws them to places?"

At Cinq's comment about boggarts, Kendrick nodded. "Boggarts and Lethifolds are tied at the top for my most feared creatures on this earth," he said. "But fortunately, boggarts have their own designated banishment charm. I don't believe the same can be said for those wretched Lethifolds, though?"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:52 pm
User Image
Cinq Moreau
User Image
Former Hufflepuff

"Well," Cinq considered Peeves for awhile. "Hogwarts has been quite chaotic for the past couple decades."

"Lethifolds..." he wondered. "I heard that the Patronus Charm is quite effective. But luckily, the creature is quite rare to encounter." Perhaps the creature is even worse than dementors. Or maybe not, depending on the case.

~Amelia Earhart

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Cinnabun Gryffie
Vice Captain

Beloved Werewolf

15,475 Points
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Pet Lover 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 pm
User Image
~Professor Amity Carter~
| Cooking with Magic | Former Ravenclaw |

═━━═

Amity wobbled into the staffroom slowly. She gently rubbed her belly, softly humming to her baby. She flopped onto the couch. "Mummy's sweet baby... I can't wait until I get to hold you." She looked around the staffroom, slightly sad that she was alone.

{OOC:}

Wearing

═━━═

Cooking with kids is not just about ingredients, recipes, and cooking.
It's about harnessing imagination, empowerment, and creativity.

The Staffroom (Professors Only)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff